Author Topic: Samsung GS6 speaker scratchy after water exposure; Help!  (Read 1523 times)

So I was trying to listen to a really quiet video on youtube after i had shaved, and I got shaving cream on my phone's Pelican case. Thinking my Galaxy S6 was supposed to be water resistant, I decided it'd be a good idea to go ahead and put it under the faucet to get the shaving cream off the phone with water. It worked, but apparently a small amount of water sprinked into the speaker area and now my speaker is all screwed up. The sound coming out of it is extremely scratchy, like ear rape, and I don't know if this is just due to water in the speaker or permanent damage to the speaker by the water exposure.

What can I do to help fix this, short of having to get a new phone?

I already tried letting the phone stand upright and dry out for several hours, but that didn't help. In fact now the speaker quality seems even worse!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:24:27 AM by Planr »

why not just wipe the cream off of the phone to begin with?

because it's impossible to wipe off. it's shaving cream. you have to run it under water to get rid of it, otherwise you'll just end up with a bigger mess. it had gotten into all the little grooves of the case, i had to use water.

because it's impossible to wipe off. it's shaving cream. you have to run it under water to get rid of it, otherwise you'll just end up with a bigger mess. it had gotten into all the little grooves of the case, i had to use water.
fair enough

that said, yes i acknowledge i should have tried taking the phone out of the case first. but whats done is done sadly.

My Swedish friend was so proud of his Sony Xperia Z3 because of the water resistance factor. He would spent a lot of time bragging about how, so long as you close up the port doors, that phone would loving survive the ocean.

He was apparently showing off to his girlfriend and, with the doors closed, dropped the phone into a tub of water. That forgetin' thing had to be serviced, and eventually he just upgraded instead.

For your issue, without disassembling the phone it'd be tricky. Speakers are temperamental little bastards. You could try using a hair-dryer to dry the phone further, but I would think the phone is plenty dry by now and that the actual issue is probably one of the pieces being damaged.

put the phone in a bag of rice in a dry place for about 24 hours, then try it

The sound is fine when the volume is low but the more I turn it up, the more the audio is distorted. Any idea what that could indicate?

get a new speaker from another galaxy s6 and put it in there

The sound is fine when the volume is low but the more I turn it up, the more the audio is distorted. Any idea what that could indicate?
A speaker is made of multiple components. Distortion at loud volumes sounds like possibly the cone or spider might have been shifted or split, and so as the volume increases and more power is output and there's higher vibrations, everything goes loving haywire.

I'm likely wrong, though. I'm not an expert, just making an educated guess based on my own speakers/headphones breaking.

In the time since I first made this thread the speaker has apparently returned to normal. Weird. But yay!

Victory music!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:56:20 AM by Planr »

Next time use a damp paper cloth and just clean it that way.