Author Topic: Blockland actual server  (Read 15452 times)

I was in kalphiter's dogfight when it was first up and asked what ISP he has, since it had no lag at all with about 40 players. He then told me it's an actual server given to him by ATF clan. I asked a few ATF members about the clan and the server and such. They gavce me links and such on how to get it working and the comparisons to other servers.

The problem is that the server can cost $60-110 per month. What would have to be done would be share the server cost with other members and let them pick a price to pay (Greater than $5 probably) per month. So a good 5-10 people paying different prices would be needed.

Problems are that it is a thing that relies on trust with other members. People can easily get your private add-ons if you put them onto the server, and could also infect the server as well. This is why if this were to be done, it should only be done with trustworthy, contributive members like Chrono and Jaydee, who don't dolt around all day in off topic posting stupid videos, memes, and references all day. This is mainly why I posted it in general discussion, because any members here that actually still care about the community check general discussion.

I also wonder if blockland can be one of those communities which work together and spend more than $20 dollars on things or if it is a bunch of kids arguing over and posting stupid stuff in every single board and topic all day who claim they are "broke" when it's really just that mommy and daddy won't buy their games for them, I'm thinking it's mainly the latter with a few people fitting the first statement.

Anyways...

This is the model of the server I was thinking about purchasing.
http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/eq4/

Intel® Core™ i7-920 Quadcore
incl. Hyper-Threading Technology
RAM8 GB DDR3 RAMHard discs2 x 750 GB SATA-II HDD
(Software-RAID 1)NIC1 GBit OnBoard
connected at 100 MBitBackup Space100 GBTrafficUnlimited*

for 49 € per month. That completely blows away most server offers in America, which cost the same price, but give you about 100 GB and 1-2 GB ram, maybe even less sometimes.

The server could easily hold up to 100 players. It would also be useful for hosting 24/7 clan dedicateds that can hold many bricks. Now another problem is that most people are not completely dedicated to blockland, which is ok. The server could be used for other games if you install them, such as ARMA 2, BF2, Minecraft (assuming dedicated hosting works like that on minecraft), Garry's mod, and others.

If you pick to install windows web edition (+$15 a month) or windows standard (+$25 a month), it would come set up for you. You could also use this rescue system thing which allows you to install your own OS onto the server, but I don't know much about that. If you're really good with stuff like that, read this.

Rescue system: The server will be provided with an activated rescue system. Through the rescue system you can install an operating system by yourself.
Please visit our Wiki for further information
http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Hetzner_Rescue-System_english

I am not saying I am going to purchase this, I am not saying I will even contribute to this if someone did purchase it (though I probably would), I am wondering if people would actually contribute to this if it was set up legit and not some "give me money I will buy this for you" deal.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:24:51 AM by heedicalking »

I would definitely contribute when I find a job.

Another thing is that someone would need to hold the paypal account which we would have to donate to, since I don't think you can do it any other way.

The server could easily hold up to 100 players.

This is the part where Lumirayz puts his boxbuild on the server to let multiple themes happen at once. For example, both a DM and a freebuild could be going on in seperate boxes. He'd probably have to modify some of the code to work with the latest Blockland version, as it's a pretty old mod, but I think it'd fit in well with this.

This is the part where Lumirayz puts his boxbuild on the server to let multiple themes happen at once. For example, both a DM and a freebuild could be going on in seperate boxes. He'd probably have to modify some of the code to work with the latest Blockland version, as it's a pretty old mod, but I think it'd fit in well with this.
I was actually going to host something like this except without the boxes.

It was going to have multiple themes in separate rooms which you could do fun things in. One a special TDM, another being a gameshow, and several other ideas I come up with. Mostly things I script on my own.
Lumirayz (Nixill) doesn't do Blockland things anymore. Too addicted to Ruby.

Lumirayz (Nixill) doesn't do Blockland things anymore. Too addicted to Ruby.

He'd probably still donate it to the cause if I asked.

If more people support this I might create a paypal to buy the server with, unless someone else wants to.

Someone else would have to install the rescue system too, since I have no idea how.

I would contribute it sounds like a good idea but sadly I'm just 12 so I can't give you any money because my parents wouldn't let me.
Anyway I hope you purchase it and make a good dedicated TDM

I would gladly contribute, as I currently have $50, and nothing to spend it on.

Only none of you guys trust me, nor do I have much knowledge of this type of thing.

But, I'm sure something can be arranged.

So basically we contribute to you being able to host servers with good connection?

Notice that I wouldn't contribute if there was nothing in it for me as well, though.
So basically we contribute to you being able to host servers with good connection?
If this is true, I don't think I'd do it.

You expect one person to pay lots of money a month to host blockland servers? He's asking mature members of the community, or what's left of it, to donate to have a good server on multiple games(Maybe?).

I personally would love to help, but I'm saving money to buy a revolver, and I have no way to get you the money. So all I can give you is my support.

The person who supplies money for the month gets the remote access tool (allowing them to host and them to upload their own games and them to arrange a dedicated server) for a month. There is also an initial setup fee. I think the server in general will work well. People will see how good it runs and may want to contribute just to keep the server up. It might also attract a bit more mature and older players.

Once you get this server up or should I say if you get this server up, what are you going to host?

Once you get this server up or should I say if you get this server up, what are you going to host?
I have many saves of things I could host, and even more ideas. I would first, most likely, attempt to revive this:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=104741.0
I would allow it to hold 40 players and make it better than it was before, now that there would be no lag. I would also host mass testing grounds for my unreleased projects, as well as fort wars, TDMs, dedicated themebuilds, and other ideas that pop into my head.

There would be so many things you could do with a server that powerful. I might also host a good minecraft dedicated that won't shut down all the time if I could.