Author Topic: Connecting a PC to an Apple AirPort Extreme  (Read 585 times)

If anyone has any insight at all with regard to this, do tell.

I'm on vacation right now and my parents and I are staying at the house of a friend of my mom. They have wireless Internet through an Apple AirPort Extreme router (they're Mac people) connected to a modem. My iPod touch, which I'm currently using to type this, can connect and access the Internet. However, my laptop running Windows 7 cannot. It can detect the router, and even connect to it, but it can't access the Internet. I've never used a Mac-controlled network before and only know a little about them. I've already exhausted every solution of which I know, which aren't many, and none have worked. I'd greatly appreciate any help or insight anybody may have on this subject.

EDIT: I have already considered the idea of directly connecting my laptop to the modem via Ethernet however that wouldn't work too well seeing as the modem is in another room, which just happens to be the room in which my parents are sleeping.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 11:31:21 PM by Raeyok »

My windows 7 laptop connects fine to our AirPort Extreme. Try telling windows to troubleshoot or repair the connection. I think you can do that by right clicking on the wireless symbol.

My windows 7 laptop connects fine to our AirPort Extreme. Try telling windows to troubleshoot or repair the connection. I think you can do that by right clicking on the wireless symbol.

I've tried that and it says something about not having a DNS or having an incorrect DNS or something like that.

I forgot to mention that the AirPort is something like 10 years old from what I remember them telling me.

I've tried that and it says something about not having a DNS or having an incorrect DNS or something like that.

I forgot to mention that the AirPort is something like 10 years old from what I remember them telling me.
Correct the dns?

Correct the dns?
You stay out of Internet connection threads.

Try getting the DNS info and manually type it in to the connection. Not alot I can suggest considering I don't use anything MAC related, however I wouldn't be too upset if you can still use the internet none the less.

You stay out of Internet connection threads.

Try getting the DNS info and manually type it in to the connection. Not alot I can suggest considering I don't use anything MAC related, however I wouldn't be too upset if you can still use the internet none the less.
I know alot bout internet.
Ima computer wiz! (Not something im proud to admit)

I know how to manually insert the DNS into the connection but I don't know how to find the DNS. Do I need to access the router's configuration page in a web browser (it's what I do for my home router)?

And I am happy that I can use the Internet at all, it's just that I want to be able to get on Steam.

O.k., firstly, you just said that you can view and connect to the router from your laptop, yet you failed to even consider running an ipconfig to see if the router assigned you a local IP and/or if the connection was complete? Go into your laptops win7 network settings and make sure everything is set to automatically determine DNS and proxy settings.

There is absofruitly no reason why connecting to an AirPort with a Win7 laptop should cause problems.

O.k., firstly, you just said that you can view and connect to the router from your laptop, yet you failed to even consider running an ipconfig to see if the router assigned you a local IP and/or if the connection was complete?

Yes, in fact that was one of the first things I did. It assigned me both an IPv4 address and a link-local IPv6 address, but no DNS.

Go into your laptops win7 network settings and make sure everything is set to automatically determine DNS and proxy settings.

Been like that from day one.

There is absofruitly no reason why connecting to an AirPort with a Win7 laptop should cause problems.

I wouldn't think so either, but apparently there's some setting that's preventing me from accessing the Internet and I don't know what it is nor how to change it.