Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1321859 times)

Alright.
Yeah he's right, unless you upgrade the ram to 2gbs somehow and maybe put a ssd, but I don't think hardware that old could support a ssd properly and Windows 10 probably won't work well on it, your better of installing xubuntu on the old one.

can u chill it with the SSDs please

I really don't see why SSDs are better than HDD taking into account the tiny price per gigabyte that HDD offer and how data on a HDD could be saved after a power surge.

Because they're faster. That's the only argument you need.

It's like comparing 20fps with 60fps. I really couldn't care less about the speed.

It's like comparing 20fps with 60fps. I really couldn't care less about the speed.
i disagree

You can not compare that, 30fps looks bad and choppy, I rather have a smooth frame rate.

~200gb for $50 vs ~1tb for $50 tho
you're taking a huge hit in storage size for some speed
my hp aio starts up in ~5 seconds even though i have a hdd

"some speed" in an understatement. The difference in speed is massive.
Also SSDs don't have to worry about mechanical failure due to, you know, not having moving parts.

Then again I don't see the point in arguing about SSDs with someone who thinks a cardboard box is a perfectly viable case for a computer.

So my boss wants to build another editing rig to replace our month old rig with the exact same parts, just with more memory, then we're going to sell the old rig to a client for $3,000

The old rig:
Motherboard: ASUS H97-PRO GAMER
CPU: Stock 4790K
RAM: 4X4GB DDR3 1600
Boot Drive: Samsung M.2 850 EVO 250GB SSD
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960
Case: Fractial Design Core 3000

The new rig:
Motherboard: Gigabyte something
CPU: 4790K @ 4.5 GHz (may overclock more)
Cooler: Corsair H60i
RAM: 4x8GB DDR3 2133
Boot Drive: Samsung M.2 850 EVO 250GB SSD
GPU: EVGA GTX 960
Mass storage: Literally a 500GB hard drive from 2006
$160 in next-day shipping on Newegg

After we blow their socks of with the computer we're selling them we're going to build a new one every week for the next 5 weeks. Our client is a multi-million dollar seed company that is still running their business from a few Windows XP computers from 2004 so money isn't really a problem for them. As long as we handle the hassle of switching them over they are willing to pay us $3,000 for a $1,500 rig.

i disagree

You can not compare that, 30fps looks bad and choppy, I rather have a smooth frame rate.
Also SSDs don't have to worry about mechanical failure due to, you know, not having moving parts.

Then again I don't see the point in arguing about SSDs with someone who thinks a cardboard box is a perfectly viable case for a computer.
This Just In: Pie Crust is a moron that should be ignored.

but ssds, along with any other electrical storage device, can suffer from different failure

And the SSD could die from a surge and lose your data while you can change the card on a HDD or even move the platters from one drive to another should the need come. Not like it's cheap or anything, mind you.

Also, they have limited writes while a HDD doesn't. Of course, it would take years to kill a SSD but it can happen especially if one moves massive files frequently.

And the SSD could die from a surge and lose your data while you can change the card on a HDD or even move the platters from one drive to another should the need come. Not like it's cheap or anything, mind you.
what the forget are you on about
do you know how much it costs to have platters moved properly without a high risk