Author Topic: Random facts  (Read 1860 times)

I've never taken a single note in class or studied for a test. Ever.

I've never taken a single note in class or studied for a test. Ever.
i never study that much on tests but how have you gotten this far

a labrador sometimes dreams about bananas.

i never study that much on tests but how have you gotten this far
I may have taken two or three notes before, but if I did, I sure as hell never used them.

Okay, prepare to be facted away. (some of these sources may be out of date, or might not lead directly to the information, sorry)

The gold dissolved in the world's oceans is estimated to be worth $475 trillion.

A hammerhead shark can be rendered completely immobile for 15 minutes by rolling it over and tickling its tummy.

There is at least 10 times as much crime on TV as there is in the real world

Almost half of all Americans today are classified as 'living in poverty' or 'barely scraping by'. 46.4% pay no income tax.

The US has only 5% of the world's population, but almost 25% of its prison population.

When trying out a new pen 97% of people write their own name. (I personally just scribble some lines) (Source: Daily Mail Apr 7 2012)

100,000 mobile phones are dropped down the loo in Britain ever year, and 50,000 get run over.

In an average year in Britain, trousers cause twice as many accidents as chainsaws
(worth a read for several other facts)

A 2011 study by Novel Economics laureate Daniel Kahneman of 25 top Wall Street traders found that they were no more consistently successful than a chimpanzee tossing a coin.

Typewriters used to be known as 'literary pianos'

There are no rivers in Saudi Arabia.

The average human being gets through 900 skins in a lifetime. (Source)

Japanese sheep go 'meh'

Saudi women have won the right to vote, but not the right to drive to the polling station as of 2011

99% of all the words in the Oxford English Dictionary do not derive from Old English, but 60% of the most commonly used words do. (I think this link is a bit out-of-date)

At the 2012 London Olympics, which lasted for 17 days, the athletes were provided with 150,000 free condoms - approximately 15 each. (286#4)

Only 3 of the original 60 clauses of the Magna Carta are still in force.

35 years after leaving school the majority of people can still identify 90% of their classmates.

In 1915, the lock millionaire Cecil Chubb bought his wife Stonehenge. She didn't like it, so in 1918 he gave it to the nation.

Since 1815, Belgium has paid the Duke of Wellington's family more than $46 million as a reward for winning the battle of Waterloo

The whole of Lichenstein can be rented for $70,000 a night, for a minimum of two nights. It sleeps 900.

flatflyer is indeed a giant bird irl

flatflyer is indeed a giant bird irl
It's true, he's the scourge of Canada, and is solely responsible for it's crippling bird-seed shortage.
On the bright side, his guano has been exported as high quality fertiliser.

On the bright side, his guano has been exported as high quality fertiliser.
I didn't need to know that

I didn't need to know that
Come this time next year, you'll be feasting on the fruits of flatflyer's fecal efforts.

A rogue planet is a planet that doesn't orbit anything and floats around in space aimlessly like an asteroid

when you go into a blackhole, from your own vision it will seem that you're being sucked in at a quick speed

but from someone else's view, when you get sucked into a blackhole, you'll appear to be floating slowly towards the black part of it. once you hit the black part, you slowly fade away.

when you go into a blackhole, from your own vision it will seem that you're being sucked in at a quick speed

but from someone else's view, when you get sucked into a blackhole, you'll appear to be floating slowly towards the black part of it. once you hit the black part, you slowly fade away.
I thought that time slows down as you enter a blackhole, so you'd never see yourself actually reach it (given that you were alive and capable of seeing).

And presumably at a certain point of you travelling in to a blackhole no one would be able to see you, as any light that hits you and bounces off (which would normally create the image of you) can't escape the pull of the blackhole, so it'd just appear black, as black holes do.