Author Topic: Build & Battle Gamemode  (Read 2136 times)

Originally I had plans to make it a fort wars type of game with alternating building and combat rounds
Source

Apparently Blockland could have turned out quite differently if the free-build mechanic hadn't worked so well. The original idea sounds like fun though; anyone up for making a new gamemode?

Isn't this already possible with Trench mod?

What it would need to contain is something semilar to TDM gamemode, but not have any locked teams.

What it is:  A deathmatch-like mode where you have ability to create teams with several useful tools.  FortWars GUI.  - must have mod to activate and forces user download of "compatability version."

1)  Create a Team/Team Identity - Allows user to create a team, choose team name, color, uniforms and equipment.

2)  Team list - displays all the active teams.  Hilighted red are enemies, highlighted blue are allies.

3)  Member Controll - allows only Founder to appoint members to positions within a team.  Check box to allow them to be a Council Member.

4)  Owner Override - Allows owner of minigame to disband teams and restrict certain items/tools as default.

5)  Profile Page - Shows your character stats such as Kill/Death ratios and shows what team you are on, what positions you hold and allows you to quit or request to join a team.

OPTIONAL:    6)  Diplomacy Tab - Allows user to send requests to other team's council members and leader to vote to respond to request.  Upon responding, it will put the council members of each team to communicate in a way semilar to the recently released "Cellphones" mod.
There is a left-hand panel, a table, and a right-hand panel.  The team leader who sent the request initially gets to place his proposition in the middle.  There will be a few pre-written treaty draft layouts that I will explain later.  Council members agree or disagree.  If the other team disagrees by vote, then they are granted to edit the treaty.  It will be edited either when an agreement is reached or when the session is canceled by a team leader.  Treaty can be customly written or selected from a pre-set treaty or treaty "snip" - a portion that is set onto the table by clicking it over.  I.E. Auto-insert "Cross-ceasefire on all personel unless personally threatened by a small offensive group."  Can also declare war.

45min to type, have fun

This would be a very very nice gamemode to have, especially with all of the team features that SWAT listed.

I fully support this.

bump.  Fortwars servers are on the rise...

I made this a long time ago. It doesn't have all of the features of SWAT's idea, though.
I can post the script if you want it.

What it has:
- Alternating build / fight rounds.
-- Players are invincible during build rounds
- Gold system
-- Items must be purchased in order to be picked up
-- Bricks must be purchased to be built (cost dependent on brick size)
-- Gold Per Round setting allows for gold to be given to all players each round
-- Bounty setting allows for gold to be rewarded for kills
- Brick HP system
-- HP dependent on brick size
-- RepairWrench item allows for repairing

Unfortunately the script is very old and does not account for events, so you would need something to disable events (as access to wrenches is important for spawning items). Additionally, as it is very old, I made it at a time when I did not care about user-friendliness (of course saying that I do now would be an overstatement) and it is not easy to navigate the commands. I could probably switch things to use RTB prefs.

As is tradition, I post about my existing script without actually providing the script but offering it if anyone is interested and then the thread immediately dies and then a few months later someone suggests the same idea again and we repeat.

On a side note, the SWAT One ideas have been around for a long long time and no one to my knowledge has acted on them. The closest I've come is a script I made for one of my ill-fated RPGs that let players divide themselves into nations with leaders, officers, members and then call votes to make decisions, such as deciding who can build. Now that I think about it, that could work well for this (as it is one of the few scripts I've made GUIs for).

It seems like an interesting idea, but with the seemingly less intelligence these days, a user-friendly script would be a good idea.  I was going to post something about a currency system, but 1)  I was limited to 600 characters on my device and 2)  thought it would be to restrictive.  For instance, City RPGs.

My ideas come similar to between the RTB4Connect GUI (Secret, wait until release) and DrenDran's RoB Client Manager.

-snip-
if you do ever finish it, maybe have the gold that you get from killing people be based on your kill streak, going down as your kill streak gets higher?

I wouldn't make the gamemode that complicated and it would be best if the client didn't need to install/download any add_ons.

Why not just have it be free-for-all? Then you don't need all of the team-building complications.

Keep it simple; players shouldn't need a GUI or tutorial on how to play. During the build session players are given a set # of bricks to use. They can earn additional bricks for killing opponents.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:46:12 AM by Reactor Worker »

Well, that's a good start, but usually when a fortwars server stays up long enough for me to finish my base and start recruiting, I recruit like 10 people.  Bases of this size need alot of management and more than 5000 bricks by a long shot.  My Ocean Stronghold included a drydock to let people in by boat to negotiate, a negotiations room, a harbor security room, a courtyard, equipment room, jet runway, prison , prison yard, 2 helipads  (One left empty as upper deck with turrets for aerial defense) and offices for high-ranking officers.  This all fit on four 64x baseplates arranged in a 2x2 orientation.

An initial brick limit would be too restrictive, killing for bricks would cause alot of freekilling.  It's just not a stable system to run by.

A simpler game-mode would be more appealing to new players.

Brick limits keep server/client loads down thus opening the game up to more players and prolongs the action.

Killing for bricks provides a reason for fighting beyond racking up some arbitrary points.

I'm not sure what "freekilling" is or what you mean by "stable system".

Freekilling refers to killing any player(s) for a gain or for entertainment.  - In this case, getting bricks.

The "unstable system" just means that with too tight of moderation on building, things might become chaotic.

I agree with most of what you are saying.  The restricted building limits too much.

Issue 1:
A player is duplicating bricks and doesn't have enough to finish his/her base.

Issue 2:
Player is building or getting started with base and combat mode switches on.  Base is inadequate for defense.