Author Topic: Feminism for a grade.  (Read 7799 times)

Alright, so in the picture below, I have a portion of the syllabus that stood out to me about my new English class. I was looking over the lessons we will learn this year, and this one unit stood out to me in particular, titled "The Media and Gender Roles in America". Naturally, this peaked my interest. The "inquiry questions" all seemed a bit like something that would seem almost rhetorical to feminists, but I still didn't have too much of a problem with it. Then, I came across the question I was looking for. "What is feminism?", it read. It all made sense to me now. This is feminism for a grade. If you will see, there are "works" we will be reviewing, such as the feminist documentary, "Miss Representation", the poem "Barbie Doll" by Marge Piercy that implies that only women are subject to standards by society (whether or not they are unrealistic is up for debate), either excerpts from a feminist literature piece or the whole thing, it has many videos by Emma Watson (presumably the HeForShe campaign speech), Joseph Gordon Levitt, and the Run Like a Girl commercial. After this, we are to "redesign an advertisement with a negative gender stereotype and presentation". I will admit, this is not too bad. But this is the kicker. We are to have a graded "discussion", essentially meaning that you either agree with feminism, or you fail the unit.

Why is my English teacher allowed to force her ideology upon her students? If it were a religion, Marxism, or ANY OTHER IDEOLOGY, she would be fired and her teaching license likely suspended. There is an exception for feminism, however. This points to a much larger matter. How can feminists still claim their work is unfinished when feminism is almost the law of the land? How can women still be unequal, disregarding the mountain of evidence proving this claim is not actually the case, when feminism has become the establishment? What do you guys think?

you good sir, are loving savage.

is it the 'gender-equality' kind or the 'men are cis scum' kind

Well I mean if you wanted to, you could be anti-feminist throughout the whole section but be respectful and support your side with facts. Then if you get a bad grade in the section sue the school for loveism or something dumb. If enough evidence was provided to prove the point of forced ideology then you could win big monies$$$$

Stand by what you believe the entire unit. Forced Idealogy is not something taken lightly. If you get a failing grade for sticking with what you believe while remaining respectful and backing your argument with facts, congratulations. You are now rolling in loving cash.

A 'graded discussion' does not necessarily mean you will be graded on the alignment of your beliefs. What will most likely happen is that you'll get a tick mark on a printed out Excel table for every time you say something in the discussion, and the teacher will assign certain grade ranges to numbers of ticks.

For example, I had an English teacher in 9th grade who was totally into social justice. In groups, we had to make an entire project one quarter focusing on a social justice issue and how we would address it. Then, the groups would present their issue and discuss it with the class.

When the 'animal cruelty' group came up and started spouting some BS about the horrors of animal research, I basically spent the whole discussion period stuffting on all of their claims that 'suitable alternatives' to animal research exist in medicine. When I got my grade back I had an A+ for the discussion section.

You'll be fine.

i skipped over the "english class" part of the OP and figured it was a sociology class where this would actually be relevant but uhh... why is this relevant in an english class? i guess if you're studying a piece of literature where it's relevant?

in any case there's nothing inherently wrong with any of this. the only problem i have is that it doesn't appear to be an objective study on gender in terms of culture and media, but if you're specifically studying feminist literature that's not so much a problem

also listen to seventh because he's right as usual

When the 'animal cruelty' group came up and started spouting some BS about the horrors of animal research, I basically spent the whole discussion period stuffting on all of their claims that 'suitable alternatives' to animal research exist in medicine. When I got my grade back I had an A+ for the discussion section.
details please

Outrage over nothing. Good job.

is it the 'gender-equality' kind or the 'men are cis scum' kind
Sounds more of the sort of subtly arrogant and somewhat condescending feminism.
A 'graded discussion' does not necessarily mean you will be graded on the alignment of your beliefs. What will most likely happen is that you'll get a tick mark on a printed out Excel table for every time you say something in the discussion, and the teacher will assign certain grade ranges to numbers of ticks.

For example, I had an English teacher in 9th grade who was totally into social justice. In groups, we had to make an entire project one quarter focusing on a social justice issue and how we would address it. Then, the groups would present their issue and discuss it with the class.

You'll be fine.
i skipped over the "english class" part of the OP and figured it was a sociology class where this would actually be relevant but uhh... why is this relevant in an english class? i guess if you're studying a piece of literature where it's relevant?

in any case there's nothing inherently wrong with any of this. the only problem i have is that it doesn't appear to be an objective study on gender in terms of culture and media, but if you're specifically studying feminist literature that's not so much a problem

also listen to seventh because he's right as usual
For the most part, I agree with you guys. However, I think it may be more of a wait-and-see scenario. Just I feel like since my school is largely liberal and almost consequently some form of feminist (based on my own observations as well as others in different grades), it will largely be an echo chamber. I just don't feel like it will be a normal "discussion", since feminism, as mentioned above, is the exception to the rules. It's a different topic, as disagreeing with an ideology is often tied with hating the opposite love.

Why the forget doesn't your teacher teach Frenkenstein in this unit? That book is ultra feminism. The fear of female loveuality, the role of women in reproduction being phased out, there's a lot to it in the feminism department.

If your English class is gonna teach some handicapped unit like this, you might as well read challenging and classic literature.

For the most part, I agree with you guys. However, I think it may be more of a wait-and-see scenario. Just I feel like since my school is largely liberal and almost consequently some form of feminist (based on my own observations as well as others in different grades), it will largely be an echo chamber. I just don't feel like it will be a normal "discussion", since feminism, as mentioned above, is the exception to the rules. It's a different topic, as disagreeing with an ideology is often tied with hating the opposite love.
it's best to not assume that everyone is radical because as a general rule people aren't

just don't get ahead of yourself and don't stress over it

Why the forget doesn't your teacher teach Frenkenstein in this unit? That book is ultra feminism. The fear of female loveuality, the role of women in reproduction being phased out, there's a lot to it in the feminism department.

If your English class is gonna teach some handicapped unit like this, you might as well read challenging and classic literature.
literature and history go hand in hand. teaching about feminist literature is really awesome if you're connecting it to women's rights movements going on at the same time

also, while "the yellow wallpaper" definitely has some feminist elements, i kinda figure it was more so about mental illness in retrospect, but i may be forgetting some details
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:43:37 PM by otto-san »

Details on my assignment or what I discussed?
how you ravaged the animal cruelty group

that sounds very interesting