Author Topic: Feminism for a grade.  (Read 7800 times)

In this case, I disagree. It does not matter, because anyone can see that women in the first world are hella equal. It's not really as much about their struggles, as women face their own unique struggles in society that just comes with being a woman, as do unique struggles that come with being a man. However, I know many, MANY, women who share the same opinion as me.
Yeah, they don't get to control what happens to their body. So equal bro.

It does not matter, because anyone can see that women in the first world are hella equal.
then why is abortion so controversial? why do some people feel it's wrong for a woman to control wether she has the baby or not?

edit: on second thought this feels like it was a very weak point but I'm going to leave it up and see where it goes
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 01:49:28 AM by WaterOre »

then why is abortion so controversial? why do some people feel it's wrong for a woman to control wether she has the baby or not?

edit: on second thought this feels like it was a very weak point but I'm going to leave it up and see where it goes
This is a very good point. Do women have autonomy over their bodies? This seems like a big question about equality.

Abortion is a terrible example because it isn't about the woman having control of her body the issue is whether or not that control gives her the right to take the life of her unborn. 

Before you flip stuff and tell me about how a few cells isn't a human life, remember I'm only sharing the issue here for people-life individuals.

Abortion is a terrible example because it isn't about the woman having control of her body the issue is whether or not that control gives her the right to take the life of her unborn. 

Before you flip stuff and tell me about how a few cells isn't a human life, remember I'm only sharing the issue here for people-life individuals.
If its attached, its still her body.

I didn't ask for your opinion, im just saying that to pro-life people abortion is murder.
That was really rude and I don't want to start an argument sorry oasis
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:21:26 AM by Taciturn »

Well that life is attached to her, in some scenarios she will certainly die if she is made to have it. This is definitely an equality issue, the question being women's bodily autonomy v. the life of a fetus

Well on the religious side they argue are killing a unborn child because of the Torah/Quran/Bible/insert book here.

The non religious argument being that you are killing something that doesn't have the power to have a say in the matter.

I see it more as collection of living that divides and multiples to form a single entity that becomes a human/set of twins/x number have you that came from a sperm and egg. Interestingly enough though the bodies immune system might consider the forming zygote a foreign entity that has to be attacked by white blood cells.

Now here is an interesting field to look into is to find a way to preserve an aborted fetus without killing or damaging and finding a way to transfer for it to a surrogate such as a family who is incaple of producing their own child.

Anyway lets stay on task or try to relate it to the topic before the self righteous fight for who is right?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:24:40 AM by Harm94 »

Anyway lets stay on task or try to relate it to the topic before the self righteous fight for who is right?
Abortion is a highly feminist issue.
Well that life is attached to her, in some scenarios she will certainly die if she is made to have it. This is definitely an equality issue, the question being women's bodily autonomy v. the life of a fetus
So couldn't we call taking the child's/fetus' life an act of self-defense?

Abortion is a highly feminist issue.So couldn't we call taking the child's/fetus' life an act of self-defense?
It trends to close to religion that just mentioning would cause the feminist aspect to be overshadowed by the fight between anti vs pro, atheism and religion, left and right politics, etc. Too dangerous of topic to bring up, opens way too many cans of worms. Could also be risking because you are introducing topics like rape which are can be issues outside of feminism and more in the boundaries of lgbt.

I wouldn't call it self defense because while the forming baby may be a health a health risk, its not the entites fault. Plus self defense implies that you are taking some form of action to protect yourself from an attacker. An egg that has divided into many cells isn't really attacking you. You could fault the owner of the sperm for initiating what created the health risk in the first place. However I would call it more of act of free will or a personal choice like how you chose what to do with your body since it's your body hosting and feeding that thing until it comes out.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:41:29 AM by Harm94 »

I think you're right about religion. I don't understand how people can argue about these issues though, since the difference of opinion sprouts from such fundamentally different viewpoints; hell world views.

How can a man who believes in God and a man who thinks there is no universal right and wrong even fight?

Going to bed now. Phone at 1%

I think you're right about religion. I don't understand how people can argue about these issues though, since the difference of opinion sprouts from such fundamentally different viewpoints; hell world views.

How can a man who believes in God and a man who thinks there is no universal right and wrong even fight?

Going to bed now. Phone at 1%
Personal conviction backed by beliefs that they have formed on their own or through what they were taught/indoctrinated to belief?

It's important to remember that you can research, brown townyze and argue for a particular ideology without agreeing with that world view. In debates, this is often called "Devil's Advocate". So don't worry if she's trying to "force her ideology upon her students," you'll soon realize that everyone does this in some way, from bosses to mentors to teachers to peers to parents. Learning about what a particular movement or group stands for, especially one as big as Feminism, is important to understanding why our culture exists as it does and what influence we have on our world. Like Tokthree said, the grade isn't about your stance on Feminism, but your ability to try and form opinions, as well as discuss the opinions of your peers, on issues that aren't black and white. So far, it seems like you have that part down, so the class should be an easy A. The reason the class might seem so biased is because there are many different topics that would work as a vessel for class discussion, but Feminism just happens to be one your teacher is most comfortable with. Her picking it might not have anything to do with indoctrinating you as a student, but more as a way to ensure she doesn't get caught up in the nuances of the topic so she can focus on teaching core discussion and debate skills. If the topic was, say, ethics regarding future technology, she might get caught up in the definition of what makes one a human, or if a self-aware AI would have rights, instead of helping direct the conversations in a way where students can understand that they need to define the terms they use, rely on evidence to back their opinions, and be okay with not having all the answers and just knowing how to ask the right questions.

That said, there is still quite a lot of inequality in the world regarding both women and men. It's very important that we don't diminish certain inequalities on one side just because the other side has inequalities of its own. Despite your preconceived worldview, I would encourage you to go into this class as if you were a feminist. Try to prove their arguments as best you can. Either your worldview will have been accurate and Feminism's arguments are too weak, or maybe they are stronger than you thought and you ultimately learned something. Either way it's a win/win. Just remember, school is for learning new ideas, not just confirming preconceived ones.

EDIT: Fixed some words. Also, some easy discussion points could be the lives of women outside of the first world, or issues regarding men and emotional/mental/loveual trauma.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:10:22 AM by Thorax »

by being capable of independent thought

In this case, I disagree. It does not matter, because anyone can see that women in the first world are hella equal. It's not really as much about their struggles, as women face their own unique struggles in society that just comes with being a woman, as do unique struggles that come with being a man. However, I know many, MANY, women who share the same opinion as me.
do u use the n word too because you have a black friend
p much the same idea it does not matter if u have friends who are part of the group being put down, it still perpetuates racism or in ur case, loveism. claiming to know some women who agree with u does not reflect the way that most women feel. every female ive ever met who ISNT  a feminist says its because they dont think women are better than men, which isnt what feminism is. i cant believe this whole discussion has happened and it seems that u still carry the same opinion as you initially did????????