Poll

Should we destroy the last bit of the smallpox disease?

Yes
No
Yes, but not for several years

Author Topic: Opinions - Should we destroy the last bit of the smallpox disease?  (Read 102478 times)

Now applying the above to, let's say, someone who assassinated a president. He didn't just go "one day I'm going to murder the president". No. Think of all the millions of possible factors in that persons life that led up to that. Maybe he knew the president growing up, and because of his actions earlier in life, say maybe bullying him, he hated him. It stuck with him his whole life, and that person just needed to kill him to rid that feeling.

You're all sadistic forgets, jesus christ what is wrong with you
I agree with you.

While what (Kearn) was obviously handicapped, you value the life of scum way too much.
No, I'm just not a loving sociopath. I don't think prisoners should be treated fantastically, but condemning them to torture is sick and twisted.

No, I'm just not a loving sociopath. I don't think prisoners should be treated fantastically, but condemning them to torture is sick and twisted.
So what is your opinion on abortion?

Seeing as you value the sanctity of life so much, one would only assume you are Pro-Life.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:41:49 PM by _Rave_ »

I hope everyone who is saying "lol make the prisoners starve and get tortured" end up going to prison later in their life and get that kind of treatment.

Everyone who is saying that kind of stuff is a moron.

Let's say someone who is the single nicest person in the world gets convicted for possession of marijuana. They don't deserve being convicted for "Intent to sell and distribute" just because they had over the felony limit (1 ounce aka 28 grams) and then get tortured or put to death.

Now let's say someone is a serial killer. They still don't deserve torture.

So many of you only look at life from your prospective. If you think hard enough, you'll begin to realize people do things in their life for specific reasons. Some may find these reasons to be utter bullstuff and dub the guy an "idiot". Well, think of why the guy did that. Think of all the factors in his life that led up to him becoming the person to go on a killing spree. You can't just go "durp criminal". You need to literally be in his shoes to see how he perceived the situation.

Now applying the above to, let's say, someone who assassinated a president. He didn't just go "one day I'm going to murder the president". No. Think of all the millions of possible factors in that persons life that led up to that. Maybe he knew the president growing up, and because of his actions earlier in life, say maybe bullying him, he hated him. It stuck with him his whole life, and that person just needed to kill him to rid that feeling.

This is why you cannot treat prisoners the loving same. You need to go way deeper than saying they're all terrible people, let's isolate them from society, feed them minimal food, and make their life now a living hell.

No.

No.

NO.

They have families as well, too. They actually want them to get out and spend time with their loved ones that they raised and lived with forever. Also, instead of just throwing them in the slammer, getting them a proper education (if they don't already have one), and a college degree in their choice will lead to much better results when they get out. Maybe Jack the Ripper wants to be a chef.

Harsher punishments and less crimes to be punished for would seem to work out fine.
You see, the people who want all crimes to be punished by death here would probably legalize things like marijuana.

Also, if you want them to go to prison, what crime do you want them to commit?

I think prisoners should be forced to engage in more community, hands-on, and educational work, but also should be separated based on their crimes.

Torture should still be used on members of terrorist groups to reveal information on the activities on those groups, anyone who objects to this better bring some serious counter-argument.

Also, I think crimes that usually land people in jail but aren't horribly inhumane such as blackmail, extortion, unarmed robberies, possession of certain drugs such as marijuana (until its legal), and copyright infringement should get heavier fines and forced community service instead of actual jail time.

Seeing as you value the sanctity of life so much, one would only assume you are Pro-Life.

The above comment has NO relevance what so ever.

On Topic: I would keep it as is.

Tom

I think prisoners should start out in hasher conditions as a punishment. Then the prisoner should be moved up to better conditions.

You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm not saying "LIFE IS PRECIOSU DO NOT KILL PEACE XOXOXOX", I'm saying that we live in a society where we shouldn't be loving torturing and maiming people, regardless of their terms of imprisonment. Death sentence? Possibly, but that's not what I'm arguing against anyway. My opinion on abortion? Irrelevant, because you're not loving cutting the unborn child hands off, letting them bleed out, and throwing their corpse in a loving ditch. We don't live in the dark ages you idiots, this is not what we want. It's not alright to take redemption in the form of cruel punishment in the prison systems. It's simply not.

Now as supplementary information; I'm not arguing that "eye for an eye" morality is entirely incorrect. There is a situation where it applies; In the 3rd world, in a post-apoc wasteland, in war. Not in the prison systems, not in the USA or any other country that doesn't take baths in the street.

On Topic: I would keep it as is.
I thought the first person who said this was just an idiot.
I thought the poll option was a joke.

But now I know you're serious.

A brief history of justice

Before
Justice is controlled by the rulers and endorsed by the mob. All forms of torture and brutalization are permitted.
Now
We understand that torturing people for breaking the law is not acceptable. The death penalty is on the brink of abolition. However, we don't know what to do with the criminally insane and reckless so we put them in human warehouses that border the aforementioned extremes.
Future
Rehabilitation and second chances for even the most horrendous of crimes.

Some people are stuff chucking apes and human speedbumps. They support how things were in the past.
Some people know that the current system is stuff, but are not comfortable with giving rapists a second chance at existing in society so they condemn them to a cage for the rest of their lives.
Some people look forward to the future.