Author Topic: [TRIGGER WARNING] how does religion exist in educated first world countries?  (Read 24187 times)

Goat rapist is worse than child molester?
Goats are sacred animals in multiple religions.

The same can be said about exclusive homoloveuality. Gay people are an evolutionary dead end.
If the entire species was homoloveual, then yeah. But that's not how it works. A tiny percent of a species being homoloveual doesn't hurt, especially if you consider that there's numerous other reasons that members may not be reproducing, a tiny percentage of homoloveuality really doesn't add much.

If a tiny percent of homoloveuality was devastating to a species, then it wouldn't exist; natural selection would remove the species

Also, gays are still capable of reproducing. And there are many who, either out of religious shame/pressure or simply not realizing/accepting they were gay, still obtained a relationship with the opposite love and had children

Also, here's a hypothesis I've heard:
First, background: Sickle cell anemia is a disease primarily affecting those who came from areas with high incidence of malaria. This is because while carrying two copies of the bad gene causes the disease, carrying only one gives some resistance to malaria.
Now, the hypothesis I've heard is that homoloveuality may have a factor similar: that two "bad" copies of some hypothetical gene might contribute to homoloveuality, only one "bad" copy may contribute some advantage to heteroloveuals.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:32:27 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

Goat rapist is worse than child molester?
Goats are an important economic asset.

Let me lay something out for you guys as to why religion spreads.

As I have previously stated, those who truly believe in their religion believe that it is the truth. What do you do when you understand something to be true and you see someone else say something contradicting that truth? The natural response all of you and I are taking is to inform the people of this truth in order for them to turn from ignorance.

You see, to people spreading religion, it is not about spreading your influence or power (most of the time), but rather to inform people of the truth.

Say there was a bunch of people who believed that only eating large amounts candy every day had massive health benefits. You and I know that to be not true. If I could, I would tell those people to stop eating those candies, and maybe move on the meat and vegetables and other substantial foods.
Missionaries of religions like Islam and Christianity see the world as doing the incorrect thing, not merely because they do not follow their doctrine, per se, but because they are unknowing or ignorant of the truth. They believe that lack of knowledge of the truth disables them from living a full life.

They are not forcing their doctrine on people because that's what they should believe just because, but because that is the truth as they understand it. Truth cannot conflict with another truth. Either one is right or one is wrong.

You would expect well educated people to see past the "my parents taught me this truth is the real truth so it has to be", hence the topic title.

People get why religion exists and why people believe it, but in a well educated country with good upbringing and reasonable reasoning skills its hard to feel why people go for it

You would expect well educated people to see past the "my parents taught me this truth is the real truth so it has to be", hence the topic title.

People get why religion exists and why people believe it, but in a well educated country with good upbringing and reasonable reasoning skills its hard to feel why people go for it
It's taught to people at a young age, when they don't have any critical thinking skills, and they believe anything an authority figure tells them.

Then you have all these things like "any thoughts against this is the work of the devil" keeping you in

i am NOT trying to start any sort of fight or anything
if you say so

wasn't religion important to humans many centuries ago because they couldn't logically explain how the world worked and why things happened?
that's part of the reason religion exists, the other reason is for moral stricture and guidance--two things of which haven't left human desire OR been solved by science

if the evolution of science and technology has happened in the last 100 years or so
that's an incredibly narrow perception of world history

why do people still believe in the things that are full of fallacies?
religion isn't supposed to make sense, it's suppose to provide comfort

there isn't concrete proof that god isn't real, but there isn't really proof that a god exists.
hence why religion persists

The world would literally be a better place if no one believed in god. We would evolve as a society.

i feel like most religion is just an attempt to stop people from being richards
especially in a time where most of the people in the world were richards

The world would literally be a better place if no one believed in god. We would evolve as a society.

I bet you allign with the Allied Atheist Alliance, loving scum. Unified Atheist League is the only way to go

it usually does bug me when people say they are 'agnostic'. its a bit of a cope-out, like you don't want to start an argument. it means 'you dont know if there is a god or not' but most of these people are just atheists who admit that there might be a god (like 0.1% chance). and in that case you should just call yourself atheist. because nobody can be 100% assured of their faith. agnostic could be used to say that you are questioning your faith strongly (like when planr had his moral conflict) but most of the time its atheists who dont want to take sides.

i feel like most religion is just an attempt to stop people from being richards
especially in a time where most of the people in the world were richards

More people have been murdered by the name of god.

Religious people are crazy and they will kill you if you question their faith.

like you don't want to start an argument.
yes

I am a person who answers agnostic

I want to make it clear that I don't think there's an absolute zero chance of there being a god or god-like being. I have not experienced the entire universe. I do not believe there is one (to you, perhaps this is when I should say I am atheist), but I cannot say there is none (this is where I say it's agnostic).

lord of stereotyping

More people have been murdered by the name of god.

do you live in the middle east because i assure you if i tell a christian to forget off they will just be like okay whatever dude you're a jackass

people like jesus were trying to teach people to be nice and friendly to their brothers and neighbors