Author Topic: Continuation of server auth discussion  (Read 1366 times)

Discussion continued from here: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=260426.msg7650746

If you're going to comment here, please read the conversation first.

The regular servers can follow suit. The only reason servers have our name forcibly attached to them is because Badspot is afraid of people impersonating him and his servers.

Badspot could create a "verified servers" thing for official Badspot servers.

The only problem that I see with this whole idea is how mods will determine who the host is.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:32:17 AM by Greek2me »

The only problem that I see with this whole idea is how mods will determine who the host is.
Third level admin via autoadmin/password called host. Although, all mods would have to be updated for this.
Or drop the idea of host-only checks because you should really only give people super admin to deal with that level of stuff, and give others regular admin to moderate and build efficiently.

Or drop the idea of host-only checks because you should really only give people super admin to deal with that level of stuff, and give others regular admin to moderate and build efficiently.

Lots of people give out SA like candy, though. If those SAs suddenly had host-level access it could be a big problem. Plus it's nice to have two levels of admins: SAs are kind of like middle management and can deal with things that regular admins can't, but they still aren't in complete control.

If you just want the forced named taken off of a server that's just the master list. I'm 110% sure the host will stay the same, and mods can still determine the host the exact same way.

I'd rather not drop the names in front of servers. I like to know what I'm dealing with before I go off joining someone's server. I like to know who is hosting the server so I know what I can expect before I join. Hosts could just change the name of their server to mimic another player, or even another existing server. It's not a matter of Badspot protecting himself, it's a matter of the entire serverlist turning into a new form of grief and drama. If this was done there would have to be identification methods for the host or something, because it seems like an idea that would cause more trouble than it's worth.

I don't understand
You want to remove names from the front of servers?
This is a terrible idea.

You want official Blockland servers?
Isn't that just everything Badspot hosts?

We were just talking about the concept of auth-less servers as a way to fix the steam dedicated server problem.

We were just talking about the concept of auth-less servers as a way to fix the steam dedicated server problem.
Maybe Badspot could make a link like the one to redeem Blockland on Steam except you login to Steam and it generates a special key that can only be used for hosting dedicated servers. Then you can download a standalone Blockland and use the dedicated key assigned.

Or have blockland work with Steam OpenID and it will only work in dedicated mode. Attempting to run normally will cause an auth failure.

Maybe Badspot could make a link like the one to redeem Blockland on Steam except you login to Steam and it generates a special key that can only be used for hosting dedicated servers. Then you can download a standalone Blockland and use the dedicated key assigned.
...Or steam users could just have a product key to use like any other Blockland installation.

I'd rather not drop the names in front of servers. I like to know what I'm dealing with before I go off joining someone's server. I like to know who is hosting the server so I know what I can expect before I join. Hosts could just change the name of their server to mimic another player, or even another existing server. It's not a matter of Badspot protecting himself, it's a matter of the entire serverlist turning into a new form of grief and drama. If this was done there would have to be identification methods for the host or something, because it seems like an idea that would cause more trouble than it's worth.
The point isn't just the names. This is just the continuation of the discussion. The main point of the discussion is that dedicated server software for the game should be available to anyone just like they are for like 99% of games that allow players to host their own servers. The problem with this is that no auth = no name.
Though I haven't seen any server related drama issues on any other game. And should the problem arise, those games have server favorites and blacklists. Besides, join server, realize it's a stuffty knockoff or trolling attempt, leave, blacklist server. And even with the forced names, we still have issues like this. And to be honest, I'll restate that the drama section should just be removed.

I've always wondered why Badspot just didn't have the Steam download create a key.dat for them when they downloaded, and send them an E-Mail of their key.

The admin level thing isn't that large of an issue. Chances are if you're hosting a dedicated server you know what you're doing. Badspot could just add $pref::server::owner and you could assign your blid.

I've always wondered why Badspot just didn't have the Steam download create a key.dat for them when they downloaded, and send them an E-Mail of their key.
Why send an e-mail when steam has a system for keys?

What about doing it how they did it for Source games? Just download a special dedicated server program from Tools and run that.