Poll

What course would you most like to see first/participate in most?

Modeling and animation
35 (39.8%)
General Scripting
45 (51.1%)
Datablock specific information (state system, emitter/projectile/explosion properties, image limitations, bots, etc)
7 (8%)
Other/Not listed (make a post)
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Add-on Making Academy (Google Classroom details in OP, new poll)  (Read 26438 times)

sign me the forget up dad

Yes Conan, please. Please do this!

so a more fleshed out list of topics
  • coding
    • basics n syntax n oop (2-4 lessons)
    • packages
    • dump and console controls (setlogmode, trace)
    • file i/o and export
    • script/sim objects/groups/sets and "typing" and defining functions for types
    • world objects creation (projectiles, players, vehicles, bricks, staticshapes, etc) (probably 2 lessons)
    • torque quirks (switch, while > for, | operator, * operator, % bugs; probably more)
    • basic vector math/code snippets for rotations and such
  • modeling
    • blender basics aka mesh manipulation and objects (assume 2.7# unless specifically stated 2.49b)
    • materials and uv mapping
    • empties and animation (2 lessons maybe)
    • dts exporting + dts layers + scaling for bl
    • blb creation/exporting/scaling and dts collisions
    • item/image exporting
    • model and datablock quirks (conflicting model names, etc)
    • playertypes animations (including vertex anims) and workflow (2.49b) (probably a set of 3 or 4 lessons including code)
  • practical code
    • state system
    • raycasts, box searches
    • reading bls files, blb files
    • player interface controls (manipulating inventory/brick inv/message/centerprint/bottomprint)
    • aiplayer functions and default bots functions??
    • addon examples/creation??

note that i left out guis and vehicle exporting. im not entirely sure how to do either of them, and would greatly appreciate help by people who know the ins and outs of them.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:29:51 AM by Conan »

any suggestions guys? i may have missed stuff in my massive post above

GUIs...?

edit: o wait just read the very bottom, nvm
note that i left out guis and vehicle exporting. im not entirely sure how to do either of them, and would greatly appreciate help by people who know the ins and outs of them.

will we learn specific types of addons? such as scripts or weapons or something like that?

will we learn specific types of addons? such as scripts or weapons or something like that?
thing is a lot of the stuff im covering can be applied to practically any addon, and many addons involve pieces from multiple topics. raycasts are used in raycast weapons (duh), for example. another example would be ports new brick tool, adjusting the placement of your ghost brick and adjusting the script of the brick tool (another kind of "weapon").

I feel like the methods and object orientated section of torquescript is the most practical for add-on making. There's only like 5-6 methods that i use frequently and with that i'm able to make 90% of my add-ons functional. Simple stuff like onDamage or onCollision really give you so much room to make awesome add-ons

vector math is probably the ugliest part of torquescript and I still don't fully understand how it works, which is sad because it's also very important
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:02:48 AM by PhantOS »

vector math is probably the ugliest part of torquescript and I still don't fully understand how it works, which is sad because it's also very important

????????????

Code: [Select]
vectorAdd("1 2 3","0 0 1"); - returns 1 2 4
vertorSub("1 2 3","0 0 1"); - returns 1 2 2
vectorLen("x y z","x y z"); - returns the length between two points
vectorScale("x y z","x1 y1 z1"); - returns x y z scaled by x1 y1 z1 (x * x1) (y * y1) (z * z1)
to read up more on Torquescript Math functions, visit this reference

Creating vectors isn't much of an issue. It's mostly rotating objects relative to vectors and figuring other stuff out. Most of the euler and axis stuff is difficult to me.

if you make a modeling tutorial make sure you strongly discourage all this 1x scale realistic weaponry bullstuff nobody needs another 'realistic weapon pack'