Author Topic: 2012/08/26 - Blockland r1715  (Read 48902 times)

there were people at -120k
Try -200k.

(Yea I know it's ridiculous but it happened and it's still ridiculous to go down that far and it's completely pointless)

Thanks for pushing out all of these updates and bug fixes, I now know you guys are trying very hard to appease the entirety of your player-base.

I'm getting similar issues to some previously posted in this topic, I hope this can further help progress. Shadows are very 'glitchy' I guess. Here are pics to show what I mean:

Image on minimum shadow setting (this is just to show the minimum setting, nothing is crazy glitchy on this setting)

Image on low shadow setting

No building loaded, on 'best' shadow detail

On max shadows

I'll attach my console log as well. This:
Code: [Select]
/Users/erichartman/dev/Blockland/premake/BlocklandGame/../../engine/bricks/octShadows.cpp:620 - GL Error: 1280 - GL_INVALID_ENUM is repeatedly being printed in the console, which will pretty noticeable if you open the console.log.
I am running Mac OS X Mountain Lion. If you need more info, just ask. Thanks for taking the time to fix everything!

Yes they have.
prior to v21 the limit was truly "unlimited"  and there were people at -120k
-120k is no different from starting people at 120k and having it go down to 0.

It was never truly unlimited. Before, you had from -999k to 999k, both which cannot be reached due to the brick limit. Now you have 0 to 999k, which is half of the previous limit, which, yet again, is impossible to reach due to brick limits.

In fact, you should actually limit how far people can go down anyways for the sake of your server.

In fact, you should actually limit how far people can go down anyways for the sake of your server.

Exactly, I was thinking he should use the map floor as a "no pass" barrier

Red_Guy, you should limit it, but also provide an incentive to not just dig straight down and make a huge tunnel. Maybe add benefits for designing instead of mindless digging, I don't know.

sounds like lame gameplay anyway just digging straight down

Maybe instead of just making all the 'good' stuff down, make 'good' stuff far. Limit how far down they can go and that'll make them make tunnels instead of holes. Then it'll actually feel like mining. How it is now, you might as well call it "Infinite Drilling"

Maybe instead of just making all the 'good' stuff down, make 'good' stuff far. Limit how far down they can go and that'll make them make tunnels instead of holes. Then it'll actually feel like mining. How it is now, you might as well call it "Infinite Drilling"

Yes, this will be so good.

The "good stuff" as you put it -- namely player ores is based on player activity.  if they dig down deep, and then discover an ore - the ore is deep, instead of higher up.  People want to dig down, because thats where the ores are, and the ores are there because people dig down.

Exactly, I was thinking he should use the map floor as a "no pass" barrier
This is exactly what ive done. 

For some reason I can run shaders on Roblox, but not Blockland.

^ this

Look around in video settings and see if you can set Blockland to use the nVidia card instead of integrated.
Ya wouldn't happen to have any idea how to do that, would ya? I've tried everything myself and no dice on getting it to use the right card :S

One question, why do I have more FPS when I look forward/at bricks than when I'm looking down?...

The "good stuff" as you put it -- namely player ores is based on player activity.  if they dig down deep, and then discover an ore - the ore is deep, instead of higher up.  People want to dig down, because thats where the ores are, and the ores are there because people dig down.
You ignored my point.

Instead of acknowledging that I suggested making good things far in any direction instead of just down, you told me why people go down, which I already knew.

How about instead of focusing on how single precision floats suck we instead focus on the almost fractal-like shadow glitches that appear to be happening to many people.

Make the fists in Rampage an actual weapon add-on.