Author Topic: Annoying Orange: 'Nobody really knows' if climate change is real  (Read 5621 times)

or just plant on ground and let the co2 in the upper atmosphere diffuse down
trickle down global warming

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/bc.marfeel.com/amp/www.nationalreview.com/article/425232/climate-change-no-its-not-97-percent-consensus-ian-tuttle
TLDR: A review of about 12,000 scientific abstracts found that only 41 of them held opinions on climate change, and 97% of those 41 were saying that it's an issue. Although 97% of opinionated abstracts held this belief, it only makes up 0.3% of the total sample size.

This is what I managed to take from it

or just plant on ground and let the co2 in the upper atmosphere diffuse down
no just in space

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/bc.marfeel.com/amp/www.nationalreview.com/article/425232/climate-change-no-its-not-97-percent-consensus-ian-tuttle

So what this article essentially says is the studies which report 97% of scientists being in consensus used sample sizes that are either too small or too biased in some manner to be legitimate. Ok fair enough. However:

Quote from: the article
A 2012 poll of American Meteorological Society members also reported a diversity of opinion. Of the 1,862 members who responded (a quarter of the organization), 59 percent stated that human activity was the primary cause of global warming, and 11 percent attributed the phenomenon to human activity and natural causes in about equal measure, while just under a quarter (23 percent) said enough is not yet known to make any determination. Seventy-six percent said that warming over the next century would be “very” or “somewhat” harmful, but of those, only 22 percent thought that “all” or a “large” amount of the harm could be prevented “through mitigation and adaptation measures.”

I want to point out that the American Meteorological Society only requires payment to join. You do not need a degree or an academic background. It is comprised of scholars and amateur weather enthusiasts alike.

And according to a study of 1,868 scientists working in climate-related fields, conducted just this year by the PBL Netherlands Environment Assessment Agency, three in ten respondents said that less than half of global warming since 1951 could be attributed to human activity, or that they did not know.

This is a very reliable source. However the bolded portion shows they also could have opted for "not knowing." Additionally, 7/10 climate scientists firmly stating that recent climate change is anthropogenic is still a very solid figure.

A vigorous, vocal minority exists. The science is far from settled.

The article misrepresents those who support anthropogenic climate change as a vocal minority, when it is fair to say the majority (though not 97%) of climate scientists are in consensus, and the detractors are the minority.

This article does a fine job of exposing small and misleading sample sizes but does not change the consensus. Thanks for sharing. I did not often use the 97% stat in my arguments but I will steer clear of it now.

Blah. When I was using the Wall Street journal article for some reason it never prompted me to sign in/subscribe but now it is. Sucks because it brought up other points that aren't in the nationalreview article.

i think whether or not you think climate change is real, we still need to make the transition to clean and renewable energy. the technology for it is becoming more available and cheaper and there are problems with fossil fuels other than global warming that justify the transition from them.

We should use coal miners as our new source of efficient energy. Not only do they burn better than coal but they won't get in our way when we try to save the earth

You'd lose the entire state of West Virginia, but honestly who cares

We should use coal miners as our new source of efficient energy. Not only do they burn better than coal but they won't get in our way when we try to save the earth

Why don't we just use black people? They even look like coal.

Why don't we just use black people? They even look like coal.
The reason we don't use black people is because the jews burn better.

lol. People always point to Earth's natural cycles as the cause of climate change but are completely ignorant of the cycles themselves. It is not as simple as heating > cooling > repeat. It has indeed been far warmer in the past but I don't see why you bring that up. Following the Younger Dryas c. 10,000 BC the Earth showed declines in methane and CO2, suggesting we were due for a glacial period between AD 500 and 1500. But agricultural methane curbed that and we settled into a warm period, which is only becoming more extreme as we flood the atmosphere with carbon.

It is disconcerting to see people like you spout armchair ecology.

I mean I already mentioned mankind has some impact.  It's scientifically measurable from our data dating back to the industrial revolution.
Point remains that it's only some change, and you severely overestimate man's ability to initiate a meaningful planetary wide scale global warming.

The Earth's natural cycle will continue to impact warming far more than we ever have to date.

The reason we don't use black people is because the jews burn better.

I find that Jews make better lampshades more then anything.