Author Topic: Anti-Virus/Malware Discussion Thread  (Read 903 times)

Welcome to the Anti-Virus/Malware Discussion thread, discuss your go to Anti Virus/Anti-Malware here and be sure to recommend what you use and why.

Currently Trying Avira Anti-Virus, will soon post how it worked for me...

Also please note the differences of Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus software, while there is some that can do both, they don't usually get them instantly.

Abbreviation Dictionary ( Got these from my own head, so if I got something wrong don't yell at me.):

[AV] Anti-Virus - Protects and removes viruses(Virus - Generally malicious software that can replicate and do harm to a computer)
[AM] Anti-Malware - Mainly designed around removing Malware and rarely designed to have a routine scan system (Malware - Acronym for Malicious Software incase you didn't know, software that contains code that does harm to a computer)
[AS] Anti-Spyware - Designed to fight Spyware another form of a virus.(Spyware - Acronym for Spying Software, any form of software/code that logs your actions in a malicious way.
[AMU] Anti-Multi - Anti X Software that can remove multiple sorts of viruses, wether it is Malware,Spyware or a generic virus.

I do not recommend(See reasons) :
  • Avast - Was good until 2015 version removed once free features and constantly asks you to buy it, also now includes desktop ads.
  • AVG - I left it for the same reason, removed free features, begged to buy.
  • Norton - Disk Usage is 100% no matter what, impairs performance

I do recommend :
  • [AM]Malwarebytes (A great option as it also scans the memory pool)
  • [AS] Super-Anti Spyware (Great for nasty trojans that refuse to be removed)
  • [AMU]Roguekiller (This is far by the best, it can get rid of anything regardless of how infected a system is, but it can leave the system with a bit of errors if Vital parts of Windows are deleted
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:09:39 AM by ZERØ »

You can turn off notifications. But otherwise yeah, I could use some suggestions to. :)

just go bareback

its the thrill of browsing unprotected mannnn

just go bareback

its the thrill of browsing unprotected mannnn
While I have not been infected in nearly a whole year the last thing that got me was some nasty adware and a backdoor trojan I got from...mediafire?Yea if I recall it was from there.

You can turn off notifications. But otherwise yeah, I could use some suggestions to. :)
Correction, you can turn off AV Scan notifications and update notifications, but no where in the new one is there an option to turn off ads.

I just use AVG, but then again I only use Virtualbox for my Win7 copy.

I just use AVG, but then again I only use Virtualbox for my Win7 copy.
AVG back then was good, but now its exactly how avast now begs for money.

Spybot is good for preventing viruses, but not so much at removing them. It's smart enough to recognize McAfee as malware.

Spybot is good for preventing viruses, but not so much at removing them. It's smart enough to recognize McAfee as malware.
I'll take it this is a bad thing? Considering McAfee is #4 on the charts?

Also I should probably post in op Antivirus =/= Antimalware

Even Malwarebytes says to not use it as a 24/7 AV Software.

Avira?

Its the one i use and its okay not many adds and good Protection and it also gives you a toolbar!

And its free.

I use "Common Sense".

It's designed to block out 100% of all thick-forgets.

--

Seriously though, I don't use anti-virus, at least not regularly. I do a scan every once in a while with various scanners, but real-time protection is too much of a pain to set up, especially when it thinks programs I or my friends have written are viruses, and so I have to constantly make exceptions.

Norton, suprisingly, isn't stuff.

I use BitDefender + Malwarebytes. Anything that BitDefender misses or can't remove, Malwarebytes can. That + common sense is the perfect combo.

Avira?

Its the one i use and its okay not many adds and good Protection and it also gives you a toolbar!

And its free.
Checked it, sounds promising, I think I found a winner.

Toolbars are .... well you know... but I'll still get it anyways.

I use "Common Sense".

It's designed to block out 100% of all thick-forgets.

--

Seriously though, I don't use anti-virus, at least not regularly. I do a scan every once in a while with various scanners, but real-time protection is too much of a pain to set up, especially when it thinks programs I or my friends have written are viruses, and so I have to constantly make exceptions.
I would use no AV Software but its just an extra precaution I like to take, even though I have 2 other computers, this is my main gaming one, and if 2TBs worth of valuable data where to become unusable, I don't know what I would do.

Rebuilding all the lost things would take a long time.

Norton, suprisingly, isn't stuff.
It does detect things well, but if you check your disk usage its going to be at 100% regardless of whatever your doing. AKA It impairs performance.

I use BitDefender + Malwarebytes. Anything that BitDefender misses or can't remove, Malwarebytes can. That + common sense is the perfect combo.
Yes that is probably going to be the plan, but untill I get some more money I have to use something free.

So far Avira sounds the most promising.

http://www.immunet.com/main/index.html
Try this out
I've used it before, it's actually pretty decent

http://www.immunet.com/main/index.html
Try this out
I've used it before, it's actually pretty decent
Trying out Avira right now, thanks for the suggestion though.

But yes I am trying Avira for now, I will post how I like it tommorow, in the mean time, I have re-named the thread the AV Software discussion thread.