Author Topic: How do you make a dedicated server?  (Read 2810 times)

How do you make a dedicated server? and what do they do?

First post :D it lets people join that will play and stuff and talk help etc if want to make  use badspot manuel for bl

First post :D it lets people join that will play and stuff and talk help etc if want to make  use badspot manuel for bl

Please do not post when you don't know what you're talking about. And do not say "first post."

Anyway, Yin Yang, to actually answer your question, dedicated servers are different from normal servers because if the host leaves their dedicated server, it will remain active. This is unlike a normal server which will shut down if the host leaves. To start a dedicated server, first be sure to have all your desired add-ons enabled in a normal server. Once you've done that, completely close Blockland and go into your Blockland folder (C:\Program Files\Blockland for Windows XP, or C:\Blockland for Vista). Find a file called "dedicated.bat," not "dedicatedLAN.bat," and double-click it. A Blockland console window should open and begin running game scripts. Just minimize it or whatever and re-open your Blockland game. Once you've re-opened it, click the Join A Game button on the Main Menu. At the bottom of the server list, you'll see a button labeled "Query LAN," click it. If you dedicated server is running, it should be the only server on that list. Alternatively, you can just find your server in the list of Internet servers and join it like that.

Hope that helps.

raeyok, you can use dedicatedLAN.bat, it is still a dedicated server, although only for LAN

raeyok, you can use dedicatedLAN.bat, it is still a dedicated server, although only for LAN

I realize that, I just highly doubt Yin Yang was asking about a dedicated LAN server.

Please do not post when you don't know what you're talking about. And do not say "first post."

Anyway, Yin Yang, to actually answer your question, dedicated servers are different from normal servers because if the host leaves their dedicated server, it will remain active. This is unlike a normal server which will shut down if the host leaves. To start a dedicated server, first be sure to have all your desired add-ons enabled in a normal server. Once you've done that, completely close Blockland and go into your Blockland folder (C:\Program Files\Blockland for Windows XP, or C:\Blockland for Vista). Find a file called "dedicated.bat," not "dedicatedLAN.bat," and double-click it. A Blockland console window should open and begin running game scripts. Just minimize it or whatever and re-open your Blockland game. Once you've re-opened it, click the Join A Game button on the Main Menu. At the bottom of the server list, you'll see a button labeled "Query LAN," click it. If you dedicated server is running, it should be the only server on that list. Alternatively, you can just find your server in the list of Internet servers and join it like that.

Hope that helps.

it did thx! :cookieMonster:

Also how do you close one?

Also how do you close one?
Just close the dedicated.bat window and it should close that way.

Oh yeah, Raeyok, does the computer have to stay on to keep the dedi up?
Just close the dedicated.bat window and it should close that way.
Nevermind, I figured it out.

Hey, thanks Raeyok. I was looking to make one of these too!

Also, I think I've tried this before. I think it opens in "terminal", is that right?

I don't have a "Dedicated.bat" file I only have a dedicated.command and a dedicatedLAN.command

No edit.

And when I open dedicated.command I can't open blockland.

Note to Mac users wishing to make a dedicated server: Macs cannot host dedicated servers ti'll version 15 of blockland.

No edit.

And when I open dedicated.command I can't open blockland.

Note to Mac users wishing to make a dedicated server: Macs cannot host dedicated servers ti'll version 15 of blockland.
How do you know that?