Author Topic: Anyone ever have to deal with Cicada swarms before?  (Read 1389 times)

Over the next month, billions of 17 year old cicadas will come out of the ground and swarm the entire east coast, especially my area. I have no idea what kind of damage these things are capable of in such mass numbers and could use some advice/warnings/tips for preparing for them.
Feel free to share your horror stories/personal experiences too lol.

I haven't really had many personal issues with them, but I always find their shells on trees. It's pretty nasty.

"The Virginia Tech Insect Identification Lab says billions of the insects will make themselves heard in Maryland, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and here in the Commonwealth."
Well hopefully Delaware doesn't get them.

We had them a couple years ago. It's just an extra number of 2" long loud insects buzzing around and dying all over everything. People start getting hyped about eating them (apparently some people are into that) and I'm pretty sure they're orange instead of the usual cicada's green or brown.

My area had one two years ago. Nothing bad happened though, they usually have down syndrome and die from falling off a tree or something. Most useful and productive thing they do really

whats a cicada
They're like a cross between a beetle and a cricket.

My area had one two years ago. Nothing bad happened though, they usually have down syndrome and die from falling off a tree or something. Most useful and productive thing they do really
That's probably the shells of the exuvia (the old exo-skeleton that they moult before becoming adults) falling off the trees. Cicadas, like other insects, are basically too small to be injured from a fall.

https://youtu.be/i4F3wax8JcY?t=51

do these things even run away from you
Holy stuff I've always wondered what that sound is during the summer. I couldn't even imagine what millions of them sound like at the same time.

i've endured them before and their just tiny annoying bugs

Just buy some insect killer and make sure none of them get into your house

i've endured them before and their just tiny annoying bugs
They are not tiny lol

The cicadas we have here in Florida are like the size of horseflies.

That, and their giant scary mandibles are what keep me from catching them like I want to.

get out the flamethrowers