Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1319113 times)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2xRjh

here, this one is better than the one the other person provided

did you just get him a k processor, thermal paste, and a 212 EVO FOR AN 587 BOARD?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:43:47 PM by SiliconCactus »

better video card, better cpu, better hard drive (at the expense of an ssd but the changes outweigh it). plus the cpu is part of the newer lga 1150 series so he will be able to upgrade it from the haswell line to the broadwell line in a few years, while with your pick he'll be stuck with the sandy bridge since its the last line of the lga 1155 cpus

edit; oops, I thought that was a z87 board

revised version w/ a z87 board. still slightly under 1k after rebates and promo's
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2xTkw
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:48:33 PM by Omicron Corp »

better video card, better cpu, better hard drive (at the expense of an ssd but the changes outweigh it). plus the cpu is part of the newer lga 1150 series so he will be able to upgrade it from the haswell line to the broadwell line in a few years, while with your pick he'll be stuck with the sandy bridge since its the last line of the lga 1155 cpus

The CPU is equal to a 3570k.
The hard drive is not needed for simple gaming storage. The black series hard drives are overkill for the average user.
You chose an H87 board but obviously made it with overclocking in mind, even though the H87 doesn't overclock.
That motherboard would die 3 years--you'd have to buy a new one, while with the Asus board I chose you'd be able to sell/trade on /r/hardwareswap or something cause it's, you know, any quality at all?

4670k > 3570k. they are not the same, what the forget are you talking about
what do you mean by that hard drive is "overkill"? with your reasoning an ssd is even more of one. I updated my post with a z87 that works fine and has decent ratings.

4670k > 3570k. they are not the same, what the forget are you talking about

It's 3%!! bigger numbers are better, right?

what do you mean by that hard drive is "overkill"? with your reasoning an ssd is even more of one.

WD Blues are just fine for anything short of server backups and VERY delicate data. An SSD has much more practical uses, especially with consumers; MUCH faster data transfer speed, they have a smaller size, they're quieter than hard drives, and programs stored on them will be much faster, just to name a few.

The difference between the twographicsis pretty much just a matter of preference. Personally, I would pick the second one because it would yield better gaming performance.

The 4670k is better than the 3570k, there's no doubt about that. The question is whether or not it's worth the price premium you pay. It's probably a bit more worth it than it was at launch because the cost of z87 motherboards have come down a bit.

As for storage, a 1tb black drive is all I need. The only place where I know there's a storage bottleneck is on boot-up, and since I only restart my computer once a month I get much more value out of an $90ish hard drive than a $165ish SSD and hard drive combo. For gaming, That money is better spent on graphics

It's 3%!! bigger numbers are better, right?

WD Blues are just fine for anything short of server backups and VERY delicate data. An SSD has much more practical uses, especially with consumers; MUCH faster data transfer speed, they have a smaller size, they're quieter than hard drives, and programs stored on them will be much faster, just to name a few.
yes, its going to be in the single-digit range of percents in games which are way more gpu dependant. in games which are more cpu-dependant, skyrim for example, I saw increases of around 10 to 20 fps. anyways, its the newest line of cpu's, he will be able to upgrade to the new 14nm line of cpus in a few years. and there is absolutely no reason to get last-gen, unless he is on a very strict budget.

wd blacks are not designed for servers or delicate info or whatever. thats the RED series. the black line of hard drives is simply way faster. I used to get around 90 read/write on my wd green and on my new wd black I get 170 read/write, loading times are faster, and the operating system is snappier. not as good as an ssd but I chose to get a gtx 770 over it, which will give a significant fps improvement in games

yes, its going to be in the single-digit range of percents in games which are way more gpu dependant. in games which are more cpu-dependant, skyrim for example, I saw increases of around 10 to 20 fps. anyways, its the newest line of cpu's, he will be able to upgrade to the new 14nm line of cpus in a few years. and there is absolutely no reason to get last-gen, unless he is on a very strict budget.

Skyrim:
Intel Core i5-4670K Stock   108.4   106.27 %
Intel Core i5-3570K Stock   114.6   112.35 %
Intel Core i5-2500K Stock   102.0   100.00 %
???

I used to get around 90 read/write on my wd green and on my new wd black I get 170 read/write, loading times are faster, and the operating system is snappier.
WD Green =/= WD Blue

The 4670k is better than the 3570k, there's no doubt about that. The question is whether or not it's worth the price premium you pay. It's probably a bit more worth it than it was at launch because the cost of z87 motherboards have come down a bit.

If only there was a reputable source or some sort of benchmark to show that the 4670k is a lot better than the 3570k at gaming.

Skyrim:
Intel Core i5-4670K Stock   108.4   106.27 %
Intel Core i5-3570K Stock   114.6   112.35 %
Intel Core i5-2500K Stock   102.0   100.00 %
what

WD Green =/= WD Blue
your point? black is still faster and will load games faster
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:07:39 PM by Omicron Corp »

I need the opinion of those that have ears:
I am planning on upgrading my PC, I want to start off with a mobo first but I run into the issue of what socket to get. The 2 I have (Or looked into) are Sockets 1155 and 2011 (Which is expected to have support till 2016). The question is: Which one will last me longer for upgrades. I built a PC 3 years ago with socket 1156, if you try looking up CPU's or even Motherboards, your gonna have a hard time looking for "better" parts to upgrade, it became obsolete which I don't want. I want a CPU that wont become obsolete in 5-10 years. Should I just hold off and wait till they release a newer socket for mobo's, which would lead up to better RAM (DDR4 WAT) and better chipsets or should I go with one that already exist, risking having the socket become obsolete and having to upgrade... again.

For those interested in what I have now:

CPU: Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz 1156 Socket
Mobo: ASRock P55 EXTREME4 LGA 1156
RAM: Corsair Dominator 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
GPU: Nvidia GTS 450 EVGA (1Gb) Nvidia GTX 660 Ti EVGA (2 Gb)
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W

lga 1155 is last-gen and lga 2011 is usually for extreme enthusiasts looking for extreme power. I would recommend the lga 1150, its the newest line. if you are on a strict budget, you could go with lga 1155 but you wont be able to upgrade cpu's later on. if you have a stuffton of money, then go with lga 2011. ddr4 will only real become available probably toward the end of the year, and only for very steep prices

lga 1155 is last-gen and lga 2011 is usually for extreme enthusiasts looking for extreme power. I would recommend the lga 1150, its the newest line. if you are on a strict budget, you could go with lga 1155 but you wont be able to upgrade cpu's later on. if you have a stuffton of money, then go with lga 2011. ddr4 will only real become available probably toward the end of the year, and only for very steep prices

Greatfully, Money is not of concern, but nor am I going to spend 1k on a CPU. Plus, I have a PC that is powerful as it is, I just simply can't spend money on another socket that becomes obsolete in a year.

lga 1150 is probably the best choice. for the cpu itself, I would recommend the i5 4670k if you are going to be just gaming or the i7 4770k if you are going to be doing more intensive tasks such as rendering, and need 4 extra threads. the i7 will not make any major difference in gaming.

If only there was a reputable source or some sort of benchmark to show that the 4670k is a lot better than the 3570k at gaming.
I did not use the term "a lot better at gaming"
I said "is better" because that's the truth
The 4670k has numerous marginal advantages architecturewise than translates into a higher IPC than ivy bridge. That's the truth. If you noticed, I also made reference to the price premium that you pay for haswell over ivy. In my opinion, if I were to get a brand new pc, I would get the 4670k on account of the socket upgradeability and the advantages from an efficiency standpoint
It's not the right choice for everyone, but the given budget of 1k really isn't tight enough to justify excluding the 4670k simply from a price standpoint alone

lga 1150 is probably the best choice. for the cpu itself, I would recommend the i5 4670k if you are going to be just gaming or the i7 4770k if you are going to be doing more intensive tasks such as rendering, and need 4 extra threads. the i7 will not make any major difference in gaming.

I use my system not only for gaming but also for rendering videos, multi-tasking (At times multiple games), and hosting servers (Some games, some for files). Haswell CPU's will be made for socket 2011, so I doubt the 2011 won't go bad.

I am just interested if anyone else heard of any new sockets being made or when DDR4 gonna be released.