Author Topic: What are Blockland's common restrictions?  (Read 2164 times)

Im talking about these things:
  • Maximum amount of wheels on a vehicle
  • Maximum amount of mountpoints on a vehicle
  • Maximum amount of tris (or vertices) on a vehicle
  • Maximum velocity of a vehicle
  • Maximum amount of dts collision boxes
  • Maximum texture resolution
  • Minimum texture resolution
  • Maximum amount of materials
  • Maximum amount of textures
  • Maximum amount of animations on a vehicle (dependant on bindable keys?)

An answer to any or all of these is much appreciated.

• Maximum amount of wheels on a vehicle
  • Maximum amount of tris (or vertices) on a vehicle
I don't think theres a hard limit but too many will cause rendering lag
  • Maximum velocity of a vehicle
  • Maximum amount of dts collision boxes
pretty sure the limit is 64 on a single dts collision
  • Maximum texture resolution
i think the max is 256x256 it might be larger though (512x512 maybe)
  • Minimum texture resolution
1x1
  • Maximum amount of materials
  • Maximum amount of textures
don't know for sure but you probably shouldn't hit a limit unless youre trying to reach it
  • Maximum amount of animations on a vehicle (dependant on bindable keys?)
no hard limit but if you go over 256 you will probably cause clients/you to crash when trying to send the sequence updates

Blockland has some ground textures that are 1024x1024, so that may be the highest resolution

Actually, it could even be something higher, but no one's really tried, nor has such a resolution ever been needed

While testing print textures for BL-Browser I recall trying a texture the size of 4096, I don't believe it worked.
But I'm certain textures can be 2048x2048, so I believe that's the highest.

i think textures are limited by the graphics card, values too high might not work for lower end graphic cards

Blockland has some ground textures that are 1024x1024, so that may be the highest resolution

Actually, it could even be something higher, but no one's really tried, nor has such a resolution ever been needed
I'm a fan of stuffing all of the textures in 1 large texture and then UV mapping stuff to pick parts from that 1 file. Saves on the amount of textures that have to be downloaded and doesn't fill my material window with 10 materials. But 1024x1024 is perfect, thanks.

Also thanks swollow for the large amount of answers. The wheels are too bad though, can't really make a proper train with only 8. Also, my game crashes when I try to spawn a long train of about 12k tris, but loads that same train fine when I remove carriages until 9k, so I think there is a limit somewhere in between that.

Just be careful with your textures, no one wants to spend a long time downloading a custom big PNG with a bunch of stuff crammed into it, and because it's a PNG, the file size is gonna be bigger because of the preserved image quality and transparency

Just be careful with your textures, no one wants to spend a long time downloading a custom big PNG with a bunch of stuff crammed into it, and because it's a PNG, the file size is gonna be bigger because of the preserved image quality and transparency
But 1 big 1024x1024 png is better than four 512x512 pngs right?

The wheels are too bad though, can't really make a proper train with only 8. Also, my game crashes when I try to spawn a long train of about 12k tris, but loads that same train fine when I remove carriages until 9k, so I think there is a limit somewhere in between that.
why not make separate train cars attachable and detachable? not sure if its possible, but it would solve your problem if it is

But 1 big 1024x1024 png is better than four 512x512 pngs right?
Is it? Or would it just be the same either way? I don't think anyone's ever made a comparison in terms of the file size and download speed

and because it's a PNG, the file size is gonna be bigger because of the preserved image quality and transparency

A PNG with mostly solid colors and straight lines will actually be smaller than a JPG.

Is it? Or would it just be the same either way? I don't think anyone's ever made a comparison in terms of the file size and download speed
I think actual content size would be the same, but less overhead of parsing the individual files and materials.
why not make separate train cars attachable and detachable? not sure if its possible, but it would solve your problem if it is
I can only model, I can't code for stuff. I mean I can edit and frankenstein existing code together but I can't write it.

Another important limitation to bear in mind is that you have only 4 animation threads. It means you can only play 4 animations simultaneously. The workaround is adding bots that you animate, but it may use too many datablocks.

pretty sure the limit is 64 on a single dts collision
Maybe?  But it will treat all of those as a single shape.  And collision shapes must be convex.  So you must be able to make a line from each vertex to every other vertex without traveling outside of the shape.

So uh- in practice you should only have one shape on the collision layer. Though it doesn't need to be a box.

I've tested this.  I made a box using 6 boxes for walls and exported them as a single dts.  Only the 6 outermost surfaces had collision. :(