Author Topic: is it more worth it to live on campus or rent an apartment near campus?  (Read 547 times)

i'm kind of stuck here. i don't drive and can't expect people to drive me to classes everyday so i need to live in a close perimeter of campus.

if i live on campus, of course it's going to be more expensive but i can take out loans to pay; no problem with that. i also won't need bus fare or anything.

if i rent an apartment i would have to pay for rent, utilities and all that. main pro is that it's significantly less expensive. (10k per semester to live on campus)

i could maybe ask my friends to be roommates if i go the apartment route 

what do you guys think?

rent out a small place nearby with a few friends and live together
dorms can be a general pain in the ass along with expenses while you can self-manage with your own place
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:19:34 PM by Drydess »

rent out a small place nearby with a few friends and live together
dorms can be a general pain in the ass along with expenses while you can self-manage with your own place

as far as i'm aware, a lot of my friends aren't going to college but i'll ask around. i'm just not sure if we can get along living together instead of just chatting sometimes.

dorms can be a general pain in the ass

can confirm wholeheartedly

Getting your own place is way better. I'd sort out an apartment with friends with dorms as a fallback

Highly recommend not staying at home either way. You'll be missing out a good bit

live in a dumpster on campus

luckily where i live my college is nearby my house so i could just drive there. same with the university i'd like to go to later

Just get an apartment. It's cheaper and you have more freedom. Personally my school has a cool off-campus housing website where you can look at nearby apartments and also find people who are looking for roommates and stuff.

Depends on where you live and the logistics of the rent and subletting

For me, if I was to sublet from January to August (assuming I live there during the summer) it would cost me MORE than if I were to live on campus during the semester and then move back home for the summer.

If you can live off campus and find a sublettee during the summer then do that