Author Topic: recommendations for a standalone mic  (Read 526 times)

i've had the same turtle beach headset for 4 years now that needs to be replaced and i'd like to get a standalone microphone of good quality. i've used USB headsets before and the mic quality on them tends to be really stuff, so i'm looking to get a nice standalone mic and then just use earbuds

are there any standalone mics i can get that sound good in the 50-75 USD range?

again, only looking for a standalone microphone here. no headsets

i hear the blue snowballs pretty good idk tho i imagine someone here has it maybe they'll give their input

i hear the blue snowballs pretty good idk tho i imagine someone here has it maybe they'll give their input
i've heard good things about them but i was hoping to avoid USB mics

suppose i should mention that too

you want the 3.5mm jack or some specific plug?

snowball is probably your best bet otherwise

it is very good, if anything a bit too good
since it's omnidirectional and is a very good quality microphone, it sounds to someone else like they're right where the microphone is. literally. if you as a person can hear your mom and sister screaming on the other side of the house you can bet your bottom your clanmates or skype friends can too.

well if a mic picks up chatter in the other room theres no way i'd use it. ive been using a g230 headset for a long time and the noise cancellation is great especially for all of the noisy people in my house.

well if a mic picks up chatter in the other room theres no way i'd use it. ive been using a g230 headset for a long time and the noise cancellation is great especially for all of the noisy people in my house.
I think noise cancellation is a little less tall of an order for a headset mic because it's right by your face whereas a standalone mic has to account for you not being super close to the mic all the time.

you want the 3.5mm jack or some specific plug?

snowball is probably your best bet otherwise
3.5mm

if i cant find anything that seems better than the snowball, then i'll probably end up going with that

A nice easy fix is just putting a foam box around the microphone, or a thick sock.

i have a snowball, and it works pretty well. you'd obviously need to buy a filter separately, but it works like a dream.