Poll

Favorite car origins?

Domestic
119 (16.2%)
Import (Asian)
103 (14%)
European
158 (21.5%)
I don't have a car because I play blockland.
354 (48.2%)

Total Members Voted: 730

Author Topic: Car thread  (Read 852743 times)

the thing about pleb tier Toyotas is that this is not the case, I bought it for 500, drove it for a year and my total maintenance cost was 125$ for a distributor, wires, plugs, and front brake shoes, I did the calculations. I drove it 10,000 miles in a year, from 284,326 to 294,800 if I paid 500 did maintenance of ~125 and got 20 mpg at an average gas cost of 2.00 a gallon I paid $4.40 a day to drive my car for the last year

edit: if you add insurance which was 50 a month bundled (which my dad paid for because it was bundled) it brings it to $6.04 a day, still not bad
Mm true, definitely depends on the car brand. I own a Volvo and OEM parts are stupid expensive.

my friend Travis's mustang has been totaled:

some dumbass had beef with a guy driving in front of Travis, so the dumbass sped up and merged into the same lane as them and smashed the brakes. the other guy swerved out of the way in time but Travis didn't see it coming and rear-ended him hard. he needed his car towed but the idiot was able to drive off and get away, and since he doesn't have collision insurance he won't be getting it fixed

he's got a beater car and good money to buy a new summer car (he's thinking about getting a bmw ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) but it still blows how he's only had the mustang for three months.

before you said it was a hit and run it sounded like insurance fraud, but still that sucks, if the drivetrain is still good he should drop it into some stuffty ford probe or some other type of sleeper bastardization

Reminds me that my friend Jordan failed his license test last Thursday so his dad took him out in their 5 speed Saturn Vue today. While my friend was driving it, he hit a deer and damaged the car. He told me over a Skype call and I'm just sitting there laughing at how he was driving the car to improve his skills for a driving test and he ends up wrecking it before he even gets home.

Recently got into an accident (not my fault at all) and got a decent amount of money to search for a replacement. I was sharing the car with my mom at the time and my mom has long wanted a luxury car but we were unable to afford one in the past, but have been looking at getting a used one.

With a decent amount of research and trying to find the right deals, we narrowed it down to two options (I linked the dealer site which has Carfax info):

2008 Audi A4 (58k miles):
http://www.transitmotor.com/2008_Audi_A4_Calumet%20City_IL_255925965.veh

2010 BMW 528i xDrive (75k miles):
http://www.transitmotor.com/2010_BMW_5%20Series_Calumet%20City_IL_257673273.veh

I'm not that knowledgable about cars but using a few days worth of research I've come to the understanding that both cars will cost more in maintenance and realize that but we want to make sure that considering the used car status and multiple-owner situations along with the decently high mileage that we won't end up spending thousands on maintenance and repair very soon after buying.

I've already test-driven both, and personally fell in love with the Audi (extremely sporty, smooth ride, no hiccups) but my mom is absolutely in love with the BMW due to its extensive features. She has the final say but she's also unsure if the 75k miles and the reliability/cost to maintain will be not worth (also considering the extra $4000 to spend on it)

Any advice?

I'm not that knowledgable about cars but using a few days worth of research I've come to the understanding that both cars will cost more in maintenance and realize that but we want to make sure that considering the used car status and multiple-owner situations along with the decently high mileage that we won't end up spending thousands on maintenance and repair very soon after buying.
you will
almost every dealer ive talked to said that high milage luxury cars almost always get an issue that costs more to fix than the car is worth
for example, my brothers bmw with about 120k miles got a shot transmissions
i dont think it would be worth it tbh
and youre gonna spend more in general maintenance very quickly (mercs need $400 oil changes iirc)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:49:04 AM by Frankie² »

you will
almost every dealer ive talked to said that high milage luxury cars almost always get an issue that costs more to fix than the car is worth
for example, my brothers bmw with about 120k miles got a shot transmissions
i dont think it would be worth it tbh

i thought that was more around the >100k range, that's why any car beyond 75-80k was ruled out

the audi seems the most reasonable considering the extensive maintenance record and 58k on it

either way were getting a bmw/audi specialized mechanic to inspect both to see if we can avoid any of those hidden issues, and moreso want to look long-term

Tbh i'm generally more of a BMW fanboy compared to Audi, but in this case I'd have to say the Audi seems like a better choice based on how you described it, plus BMW maintenance (particularly on later models) tends to be difficult and expensive. I had a friend whose mom had a 5-series of the same gen as the one shown there and although it was a smooth leathery luxury ride, it wasn't all that special compared to competitors in my opinion. I do admire the fact that both cars have AWD though.

Keep in mind though that you don't see many luxury cars on the market with 100+k miles though, and for good reason.

define long term

as in, assuming that inspection doesn't find any major super-expensive issues, how would the reliability compare over time (e.g. should i be worried about a major failure at 90k miles for the bmw? 75k for the audi?)

2008 Audi A4 (58k miles):
http://www.transitmotor.com/2008_Audi_A4_Calumet%20City_IL_255925965.veh

2010 BMW 528i xDrive (75k miles):
http://www.transitmotor.com/2010_BMW_5%20Series_Calumet%20City_IL_257673273.veh
luckily i've already done quite a bit of research on both of those cars

long story short, e60's appear to be one the most problematic bmw models, more so the ones with a V8 in them rather than an I6 - like the one you've listed - and as a 5 series, will cost a good deal more than a 3 series to both buy parts for and have fixed. they're not all bad, but from what i've read, for whatever reason it's very common that you will get an e60 that will need repairs bi-monthly. mainly annoying leaks and rattles. bmw enthusiasts like to say "if you can't fix it yourself or can't afford to pay someone else to fix it, don't buy a bmw" which i completely agree with - because labor costs to fix them are ridiculous, not at all because they're unreliable - but in the case of an e60, i'd recommend staying away from it altogether.

b7 audis on the other hand are great. I almost bought a 2007 a4 quattro myself. you get a reliable and inexpensive-to-replace turbo and one of the most reputable awd systems out there. throw several hundred dollars into a tuner for it and you've got loads more power on top of better fuel economy. i could go on about this model but i think everything i've said about the bmw is enough to help you decide

overall, the biggest reason you don't see luxury cars past 100k out on the road is because warranties for them won't extend past that, leaving the next potential owner to worry about having to pay upfront for repairs or fix it themselves if they have the tools. the primary market for these luxury cars is the upper middle class, which is filled with people who know little about cars and have no interest to learn. so, they stay away from the higher-mileage luxury cars, leaving a good used market with low demand for those in the middle/lower middle class. the audi you're looking at could go for 200k+ but will definitely need the turbo replaced sometime after 120k. keep in mind that every 100k miles, no matter what car you have, it's smart to replace everything from solenoids to shocks to the head gasket

tl;dr stay away from any e60 to be safe, get the a4

A dashcam is like 40 bucks just get one and save yourself all of that stuff.

Did someone say luxury car over 100k?

So after 5,000 miles of driving, my car is finally street legal and registered with the state of Missouri. Only got pulled over one time and it wasn't for speeding. I also got bored yesterday and ended up driving 200 miles from home driving through three states and ending up in Kentucky. Hadn't been there since 2012 or something so that was cool.

Also discovered that Cairo, IL is a degenerate ghetto town that used to have a heyday by the looks of it. Now it's just poor gangsta black people giving my police car challenging looks while the real cops just sit on the side of the road speed trapping anyone who exceeds the stupid 30mph speed limit through a town with virtually no traffic.

And like St. Louis, MO/East St. Louis, IL, I found out Cape Girardeau, MO has an East Cape Girardeau, IL that is sketchy and weird. Cape Girardeau has a population of around 38,000 and is bustling with modern amenities and a lot of traffic, while East Cape Girardeau has 400. Everything I saw while driving through there was a dirty gas station, a topless bar, two adult stores, and some abandoned buildings. 10/10 would live there.

So after 5,000 miles of driving, my car is finally street legal and registered with the state of Missouri. Only got pulled over one time and it wasn't for speeding. I also got bored yesterday and ended up driving 200 miles from home driving through three states and ending up in Kentucky. Hadn't been there since 2012 or something so that was cool.

Also discovered that Cairo, IL is a degenerate ghetto town that used to have a heyday by the looks of it. Now it's just poor gangsta black people giving my police car challenging looks while the real cops just sit on the side of the road speed trapping anyone who exceeds the stupid 30mph speed limit through a town with virtually no traffic.

And like St. Louis, MO/East St. Louis, IL, I found out Cape Girardeau, MO has an East Cape Girardeau, IL that is sketchy and weird. Cape Girardeau has a population of around 38,000 and is bustling with modern amenities and a lot of traffic, while East Cape Girardeau has 400. Everything I saw while driving through there was a dirty gas station, a topless bar, two adult stores, and some abandoned buildings. 10/10 would live there.

This is why I avoid East Cape Girardeau entirely. Drove through there once, and I seriously thought I was going to get Carjacked at any second