Author Topic: lego star wars has taken over my life  (Read 2576 times)

actually lego star wars 1 & 2 were pretty good.
but how can the complete saga be bad if it is both games combined with a few additions and only a couple changes?

actually lego star wars 1 & 2 were pretty good.

what i want to say is that almost all type of lego games are the same

Just compare lego batman and lego star wars gameplay, its almost the same

why is your age in the background

:^ )

why is your age in the background

:^ )
SMH LOL
i can't read a single thing on that sheet of paper
lmao

sihtty pc camera my dude. im not going to post my id

what i want to say is that almost all type of lego games are the same

Just compare lego batman and lego star wars gameplay, its almost the same
bitch what. no in lego batman there are characters used exclusively for a function aka magnet robin or osmething. in lego starwars the characters have one prime function, bounty hunters throw bombs, people with blasters can grapple they are different

It would take the mentality of a very young child, presumably somebody who has never played the LEGO Tt games before, to find enjoyment in them.

LEGO Tt games are "fun" because they use Overrides. This general concept is also used by the likes of Farmville, and soulless corporations like King.com and Zynga make active use of this technique. The basic psychology is that our brains are hot-wired to reward dopamine (the chemical responsible for happiness) in exchange for when we believe we've accomplished something significant. How do we know that we've accomplished something significant? Feedback. A really easy way to do feedback (the Override way) comes in forms of particles, flashy text, loud sounds, fast movements, colour changes and other effects. Essentially, you smother the brain in a very loud atmosphere when the player completes a basic action, and the brain goes nuts for it, driving them to do it more. This is exactly why people can sit down and play those handicapped Facebook games for hours on end and send you a million invites.

The basic mechanic in any LEGO Tt game is the melee smash. When you smash something, there's multiple explosion effects (of the object falling to bits and the studs flying up in the air), the studs are flashy and variantly coloured, there's that explosion noise and then the splash of sound from coin pickups, the coin text increases in size for half a second when a new coin is added to the purse, and then you have the yellow bar doing special effects as it begins to fill up. It's sensory overload to distract you from the fact that all you had to do was press a single button with NO logical thought whatsoever.

If Star Wars I was its own game, and the last of the formulaic games, then I wouldn't be making such a fuss. There's been PLENTY of awful LEGO games, and Star Wars isn't near the bottom of the list. The problem is that with each incarnation, they have to keep increasing the visual effects and flashiness to prevent players from building an immunity to the same, constant sensory overload you get every time you collect something in that game, because they're incapable of now adding meaningful and challenging game mechanics, as the entire formula is extremely unstable. That is not the only issue with the formula (there's many), but it's at the very top of the list.

By admitting you enjoy LEGO Star Wars as much as you do, you're basically saying that you're the kind of person who would also get a pick out of downloading a stack of Clash of Clan clones on the Android Play Store.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:43:04 PM by McJob »

It would take the mentality of a very young child, presumably somebody who has never played the LEGO Tt games before, to find enjoyment in them.

LEGO Tt games are "fun" because they use Overrides. This general concept is also used by the likes of Farmville, and soulless corporations like King.com and Zynga make active use of this technique. The basic psychology is that our brains are hot-wired to reward dopamine (the chemical responsible for happiness) in exchange for when we believe we've accomplished something significant. How do we know that we've accomplished something significant? Feedback. A really easy way to do feedback (the Override way) comes in forms of particles, flashy text, loud sounds, fast movements, colour changes and other effects. Essentially, you smother the brain in a very loud atmosphere when the player completes a basic action, and the brain goes nuts for it, driving them to do it more. This is exactly why people can sit down and play those handicapped Facebook games for hours on end and send you a million invites.

The basic mechanic in any LEGO Tt game is the melee smash. When you smash something, there's multiple explosion effects (of the object falling to bits and the studs flying up in the air), the studs are flashy and variantly coloured, there's that explosion noise and then the splash of sound from coin pickups, the coin text increases in size for half a second when a new coin is added to the purse, and then you have the yellow bar doing special effects as it begins to fill up. It's sensory overload to distract you from the fact that all you had to do was press a single button with NO logical thought whatsoever.

If Star Wars I was its own game, and the last of the formulaic games, then I wouldn't be making such a fuss. There's been PLENTY of awful LEGO games, and Star Wars isn't near the bottom of the list. The problem is that with each incarnation, they have to keep increasing the visual effects and flashiness to prevent players from building an immunity to the same, constant sensory overload you get every time you collect something in that game, because they're incapable of now adding meaningful and challenging game mechanics, as the entire formula is extremely unstable. That is not the only issue with the formula (there's many), but it's at the very top of the list.

By admitting you enjoy LEGO Star Wars as much as you do, you're basically saying that you're the kind of person who would also get a pick out of downloading a stack of Clash of Clan clones on the Android Play Store.
tbh i enjoy lego star wars because its a classic. so what its terrible. its close to my heart as the first video game i have played in my entire life. thats the reason why its enjoyable. being rewarded with nostalgia of the past is more of a reward than anythng. this game has meaning because its engraved in many of our pasts as the first or close to first game we've ever played. you don't play lego games for the gameplay, you play to have fun.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:56:44 PM by Drew Skube² »

but how can the complete saga be bad if it is both games combined with a few additions and only a couple changes?
Because even the lego charm can't hide the bullstuff the prequels shell out.

you don't play lego games for the gameplay, you play to have fun.
This summarises everything wrong with the intent behind the modern LEGO games.

The point is that they're not "fun". I don't mean to sound like Lord "It's All Just Chemicals" Tony, but that feeling of "fun" isn't actual enjoyment. That's your sensors being triggered by a bunch of bright colours and rapid fire sounds and them dumping dopamine when you haven't actually done anything to deserve it.

What do you actually get out of the LEGO game experience, as opposed to games like Fallout, Blockland, Need for Speed, The Witcher or so on? Those games all have fundamental lessons to teach, and the enjoyment (and dopamine response) is carefully paced based on how you are able to overcome the game challenges and learn skills. They may not exactly be practical life skills (although, fast reactions and logical thinking are certainly extremely helpful nowadays), but the goal of those games is clearly to give you a positive net effect of coming away from the game experience with something. You only have X amount of time on this Earth, so it's critical, from a moral standpoint, that game designers aren't producing time-sinks which don't give you anything back as a reward for spending a chunk of your remaining life inside the game world.

Fun comes from progression, and getting better at the things you care about. It might not necessarily be what the developers intended your motivations be (Speedrunners, Hackers and Modders all have fun with the game in a different way to an average player), but the point is that most games let you get good at something. There is NO learning in the Tt Games. There is NO challenge. There is basic pattern recognition in the form of "Which character has which ability?", but the games give you so many hint boxes, arrows and icons, there literally is no way that the player can ever learn through meaningful game techniques (instead, you're being forced to study as you would for a science exam, by reading the content over and over). That's simply not good enough, especially for a kids game.