Author Topic: The Future of RTB  (Read 8872 times)

Glad to see RTB is set to become an official part of Blockland. The current roadmap looks good, but I have one addition I'd really like to see; an upgraded server browser.

The current server list is passable and the webpage version is decent but a better, "richer" browser could be built. Something more interesting to look at than plain text, but also more informative than isometric-auto-generated images. I've left this description deliberately vague as I think anyone capable of creating such an add-on probably has many of their own ideas on how it might work.

I think we can all agree that while the process of reviewing add-ons using a hand picked team of experienced users who can assure the quality of all the content on RTB sounds nice on paper, the problems show themselves when the moderators get too busy to review or forget about it for a while, and add-ons get backed up for days, weeks, or in the unluckier cases, months. While quality assurance is what makes RTB better than the steam workshop could ever be, it may be better off to take a slight hit in that department if it means keeping up with the influx of content creators this influx of players will no doubt bring.

I think a good way to go about it, is have users be able to go into the Holding Tank section - but with a disclaimer letting the user know that the Add-Ons in there are unapproved.

R.I.P.
Me being able to play BL on my laptop
(if RTB is default then I won't be able to play on my macbook cause RTB crashes me)
Though, if this isn't going to happen overnight or something, I should be good. Have plans to build a gaming Hackintosh
The showing IDs is needed for VCE and other mods that can be BL_ID-based. It's an important feature.

Nobody ever said it was becoming default. It's going to become officially supported, or available as a free DLC.

so, can you invite users to your server though steam yet?

One of my main aims is to have RTB accounts sub-divided into the computers you play Blockland on - so you'd have a "Caribou's Desktop" and a "Caribou Laptop" if you play on a desktop and laptop a bunch. This would be great because it means:

• You could download add-ons to a specific computer (or even a dedicated server you manage) just from the download manager without having to be on that computer.
  • Your controls, prefs, avatars and colors could be made available to all the computers you play Blockland on.
  • Your save files could even be made available to all the computers you use.

And a bunch of other things.

Thanks for this response! This sounds great.

the idea is that IDists are idiots, and thus wouldn't go as far to find the show BL_IDs in the advanced options or whatever

it was kinda funny
terrible idea, even worse execution. this toggle button should be removed from the game, it only creates more hurdles for new players, and doesn't solve any "discrimination".

terrible idea, even worse execution. this toggle button should be removed from the game, it only creates more hurdles for new players, and doesn't solve any "discrimination".
I agree- any player who wants to discriminate based on ID would enable this option anyways.

Glad to see RTB is set to become an official part of Blockland. The current roadmap looks good, but I have one addition I'd really like to see; an upgraded server browser.

The current server list is passable and the webpage version is decent but a better, "richer" browser could be built. Something more interesting to look at than plain text, but also more informative than isometric-auto-generated images. I've left this description deliberately vague as I think anyone capable of creating such an add-on probably has many of their own ideas on how it might work.
Many people including myself have tried this.
The issue is that it would require both a client and server side mod, meaning it'd be useless for a while, as people start to get it.

Many people including myself have tried this.
The issue is that it would require both a client and server side mod, meaning it'd be useless for a while, as people start to get it.

That's not an issue if it's included as default content or DLC.

i got an idea - how about all BL_ID are invisible except for your own? that way, people cant discriminate and you can still use events that require BL_IDS, if you require another player's blid, just ask for it.

i got an idea - how about all BL_ID are invisible except for your own? that way, people cant discriminate and you can still use events that require BL_IDS, if you require another player's blid, just ask for it.

Nah. I think that'd be too much of a pain imo.  Idk

OT: I think it is really nice to see that something is actually occuring with RTB in terms of new updates.

stupid as well. there's no need to hide someone's BLID at all.

id discrimination is such a ridiculous thing to arguing this point about.
it doesnt exist anymore. get over it.

i saw something somewhere about being able to send out a request for admins to join the server, that should deffo be added

In the In-Game overlay you should have RTB Hosting advertised so more players get the word that they can buy hosting, not everyone checks the forums so this could bring in more players, especially new players looking for this type of thing.