Author Topic: Computer upgrades  (Read 6397 times)

I've got the exact same computer.
I'm upgrading to an HD4850 or 9800gtx+, getting 2gb RAM and an AMD 6000+. You have 1 PCI-e slot, a 320w power supply, your ram is 800DDR2, and you have an AM2+ processor slot thing. You need to upgrade your power supply like I did. Also your case is tiny as forget, so get a new one or you'll have to keep the case open. I don't recommend the 9800gtx or any dual slot card because you have 30mm of space between the PCI-e slot and the cover of the CPU, and that card is 32mm thick.

9500gt is what I would consider low end. I've got an 8600gts at the moment, I can play any game on at least medium settings at my native resolution. 9600+ is what you should get (but since you can spend $200, get the HD4850, its single slot and has THE best price to power ratio on the market)

Erm phone...wtf is wrong with you? You're basically replacing everything. You may as well by a new motherboard so you aren't locked into all the dell crap. You can get a decent one for $80. Also, why the AMD 6000+ ? :0 320w power supply isn't going to work for a 4850 or 9800GTX+.

Geforce 8 series PSU requirements : http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=58052
Geforce 9 series PSU requirements : http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=58052

@Phone - I originally purchased the 9800GTX+ but I returned it and payed a little extra for the GTX 260. The performance difference is phenomenal. Just something to consider.

Reactor, I never said it was my first upgrade :cookieMonster:
That should answer all your questions.
Also, I still can't fit a dual slot card in. I've got a BTX mobo/case, so the cards have to be single slot or they hit the CPU.
And I'm getting the 6000+ because its cheap and sufficient for what I want, unless I decide its not, in which case I'll just change to Intel and get some mid-range quad.

In other words, don't worry, I'm paranoid about everything fitting/working and bottlenecks, so its all covered.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 12:49:16 AM by Phone »

Actually, the best card you could get (because its a low-profile computer case) would be this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162016
Its a low profile model 9600 GT. It might not fit in your case because its quite long and it will require a 6 ping PCI-e power cable or 2 four pin molex connectors(for the 6 pin adapter).

I'd go with the 8500GT its cheap, and VERY reliable.

I get around 300 fps on Tf2, 400 on cs:s (Without overclocking) , and I got it for under 100 bux

I'd go with the 8500GT its cheap, and VERY reliable.

I get around 300 fps on Tf2, 400 on cs:s (Without overclocking) , and I got it for under 100 bux

watnow, I get 60-80 with my 8600gts.. are you attempting to eyeball it? Because that's not even possible.

And this is why I prefer to build my own Windows based computers. Upgrading things like Dell systems can be a nightmare.

o_o

watnow, I get 60-80 with my 8600gts.. are you attempting to eyeball it? Because that's not even possible.
He probably means the menu screen. I have an 8800GTS and I get about 300 on TF2's menu screen. But what the forget does that matter?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:32:34 AM by Otis Da HousKat »

My oldest computer got fried due to a power surge, and the insurance company would only pay for a single replacement, so I couldn't buy the parts and put them together. Now I'm stuck with dell, but I'm breaking free.

Now that I read that, it sounds like total bullstuff, I wish I would have asked my dad to clarify.

Why the forget are you using a BTX board?  XD

Can some one help me with what kind of graphics card I have I have a dimension e310

Why the forget are you using a BTX board?  XD

The cases are generally cooler, and BTX is technically newer than ATX :D

The cases are generally cooler, and BTX is technically newer than ATX :D

I've never really shopped for special BTX cases, but I know that their is a huge variety of cases that fit BTX boards and ATX boards.

Can some one help me with what kind of graphics card I have I have a dimension e310
I looked up your computer and unfortunately for you, it DOES NOT have either a PCI-e x16 or AGP slot, it only has PCI and PCI-e x1 slots. Because of this you wont be able to find any graphics card that would give you any significant increase in gaming performance. If you were to upgrade your graphics card, this would be the best option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161197

I looked up your computer and unfortunately for you, it DOES NOT have either a PCI-e x16 or AGP slot, it only has PCI and PCI-e x1 slots. Because of this you wont be able to find any graphics card that would give you any significant increase in gaming performance. If you were to upgrade your graphics card, this would be the best option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161197

There are probably integrated chips that perform better than that piece of crap. You'd be throwing your money away.

There are probably integrated chips that perform better than that piece of crap. You'd be throwing your money away.
My first card was an x1300 pro, I could play oblivion on medium to high, with epic .ini tweaking (low res, though, as in 800x600, 1024x768 max)