Author Topic: There is now 9 planets in our solar system.  (Read 3974 times)

he's not this stupid. he had to replace brony-hating activities with something.
maybe he should think about replacing it with something like a jerb

but tony can't think, he doesn't have a brain

So apparently one suggested name for the planet, were it to be visually confirmed, is 'Nox'.

This is the Latin version of the Greek goddess Nyx, who is the goddess of the night.
This would be a clever name, given the planets suggested darkness. It's suggested to give back a fraction of the light which Pluto reflects, which is in turn tiny compared to the other planets. It's possibly 600 times fainter than Pluto.

that would require effort

So apparently one suggested name for the planet, were it to be visually confirmed, is 'Nox'.

This is the Latin version of the Greek goddess Nyx, who is the goddess of the night.
This would be a clever name, given the planets suggested darkness. It's suggested to give back a fraction of the light which Pluto reflects, which is in turn tiny compared to the other planets. It's possibly 600 times fainter than Pluto.
oh no
but that's Greek mythology, not Roman
the path will be forever messed up
Idk, if I were to name it I woulda done Metis, the Greek god of cunning

oh no
but that's Greek mythology, not Roman
the path will be forever messed up
Idk, if I were to name it I woulda done Metis, the Greek god of cunning
They'd be using the latinised name.

And Urstar fish is the latinised name of Ouranos, which is specifically a Greek god.
So there's precedent there.

They'd be using the latinised name.

And Urstar fish is the latinised name of Ouranos, which is specifically a Greek god.
So there's precedent there.
I mean, technically all Roman gods are just latinised versions of Greek gods. Jupiter to Zeus, Neptune to Poseidon, and so on and so forth.
Also I missed that it was Nox and not Nyx.

I mean, technically all Roman gods are just latinised versions of Greek gods. Jupiter to Zeus, Neptune to Poseidon, and so on and so forth.
Yeah, but Jupiter, Neptune and others were incorporated as part of the functioning Roman pantheon.
Ouranos wasn't, as far as I am aware.

They were only latinised in the late 1700s in order to bring their naming scheme in line with that of the traditional names of the planets.
Urstar fish the planet wasn't known by the Ancient civilisations, and so it wasn't named by them.

It is not a confirmed planet yet, as it's only evidence of it.