Author Topic: ■ The Photography Megathread ■  (Read 243270 times)

if everyone on this page died i would be a-ok with that

what a thing to say

-snip-

Oh wow, that camera looks like a beast! How does it work?

Oh wow, that camera looks like a beast! How does it work?
Basically, you have a lens and a shutter on the front standard/plate and a film holder and ground glass on the back standard. You open the shutter and compose and focus the image on the glass. You then raise the glass off of the back of the camera and slip a film holder in. The film holder comprises of a sliding shutter that you remove to expose the film inside the camera. You set exposure, release the shutter for the specific time, close the film holder shutter and take the holder out.

It's simple enough in principle if you can understand how the components of a camera work and not just SLRs, but if you need clarification let me know.

FIRST PICTURE AHHH

took this last weekend with my iphone too

These aren't AMAZING, but I feel we need a bit more variety in photographs aside from nature and city skylines.  So here, have two pictures I took while taking 220 video clips of cars in the pits and racing on the track at a local motorway for a documentary I am making.

-jargon-

Oh, I get it.
That's fancy! Sounds a little fiddly, but fun nonetheless.
Cool picture, too. What do you hope to capture with it?

Also,

Not mine, but I thought you guys might find it interesting. 350 photos, merged into one. The photographer is Matt Molloy.

Oh, I get it.
That's fancy! Sounds a little fiddly, but fun nonetheless.
Cool picture, too. What do you hope to capture with it?

tbh the camera is loving huge. Case is a foot and a half wide, foot high, half a foot deep and weighs about 20 pounds with the camera in it. This makes it only really reasonable for landscapes done from a road, anything within short walking distance of a car, and indoor studio work. I may rig up an old backpacking frame to try and carry it longer distances, but I don't have aspirations for its portability. It's a fun camera though, it's the kind where you have to have a dark cloth over your head to focus it c:

Also,

Not mine, but I thought you guys might find it interesting. 350 photos, merged into one. The photographer is Matt Molloy.

tbh how I feel about night photography can be summed up as follows: It's one thing to turn the night into the day, it's another thing to respect the dignity of the night.

Long exposure shots of any kind do not impress me at all if they do not form an aesthetically appealing composition. That isn't a terribly interesting composition, however technically difficult it was to accomplish. It's a boring landscape shot of a barn with the star trails around the north star. I'm not impressed.

Shot with my iPhone 4 camera

it's the kind where you have to have a dark cloth over your head to focus it c:

Haha, awesome. Grow an awesome mustache and put on a suit and pretend to be from the 20s, yeah!!

And I agree with your comment about long-exposure shots and night photography. Still a clever idea, might I say; despite star trails never doing much for me. But, I mean, I do a lot of stuff with light trails and drain pipes, and it's too easy to just take a photo with someone writing their name, or doing something dull and being all like "oh look, pretty light trails!"

I mean, think about it artistically. You can do more with light trails than write your name.

There's one photographer here in Adelaide that has this really interesting technique of making a "ball of light" with long exposures, and putting them into his shots.

Like these (again, not mine):

I think it's done by simply swinging a piece of string with a light attached to the end over, and over.
Sounds time consuming, but it certainly gets a unique-looking result.

Double post:

If anyone wanted to read further, his website is:

http://www.balloflight.com.au/

Another interesting technique of lighting and stuff is demonstrated by this guy Benoit Paille

More here: http://benoitpaille.deviantart.com/

Oh, I've seen those before!
How does he do it? Similiar technique to the ball of light?

How does he do it? Similiar technique to the ball of light?

I'm pretty sure it's just a light on stand that he removes in post

Some of those long exposure shots y'all posted are sweet. I especially like the square ones, but the ball of light ones are interesting as well. Would definitely be interesting to know more about their processes and inspiration.

Anyway, I did another 4x5 shot. Very happy with how this one turned out. A portrait of one of my favorite teachers (btw today was my last day of classes in highschool! grad on Sunday!!!!)

Wow, that's actually really nice.
Great composition, and the natural graininess has a very professional aesthetic, along with the natural soft focus it seems to have.