Author Topic: Garland TX shooting - 2 Dead  (Read 2678 times)

Why would you protest against humor? It's a free society, well at least the one you are living in (assuming you're in America). You cant tell someone to stop saying something just because you are offended.
cause they're obviously doing it to instigate violence?

i mean, they spent thousands on armed security guards. they expected (and wanted) something to happen.

Wow this sucks
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:01:02 PM by Naked Human »

-quote messed up damnit-

And the event was clearly made to provoke extremists, hence why they spent thousands on security.
Charlie Hebdo did this stuff all time, and when the incident happened people were like "FREE SPEECH forget YEAH! JE SUIS CHARLIE!" and now some group in texas does the same thing and all of the sudden its a bad thing we shouldn't do for fear of terrorist attack.

As the name implies, terrorists instill fear, by not doing these things the terrorists we have won.

Charlie Hebdo did this stuff all time, and when the incident happened people were like "FREE SPEECH forget YEAH! JE SUIS CHARLIE!" and now some group in texas does the same thing and all of the sudden its a bad thing we shouldn't do for fear of terrorist attack.

As the name implies, terrorists instill fear, by not doing these things the terrorists we have won.
protesting injustices and hypocrisy in a theocracy and purposefully drawing stuffty caricatures of a religious figure with the intent of starting a firefight are two different things.

Yeah I know im ok with it. Im talking about the people who are really serious about religion and will do anything for it. Sorry, I didnt word my sentence correctly.

And yes, i've been living in America my whole life lol

messed up quote xD

I'm glad that you are one of the few in this thread who seems to have their head screwed, to say the least. I cant respect anyone who wants their religious beliefs imposed on a whole group of people, especially in a non-theocratic democracy.

As inappropriate and unfunny as many of these racially-motivated cartoons are, people have every right to create them. Whether they are directed toward Jews, Christians, Muslims, Catholics, Homoloveuals, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, Aborigines, etc.

protesting injustices and hypocrisy in a theocracy and purposefully drawing stuffty caricatures of a religious figure with the intent of starting a firefight are two different things.

This isn't a theocracy though, what makes you think that? If you'd use more credible sources and read more often, you'd know that nobody did this with the intent of starting a firefight. I think that was one thing nobody wanted. Do you think that it is ok for someone to kill others over a cartoon that is offensive?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:15:56 PM by Cantaloupe »

This isn't a theocracy though, what makes you think that?
i was referring to the charlie hebdo cartoons
If you'd use more credible sources and read more often, you'd know that nobody did this with the intent of starting a firefight.
sorry mate, i don't think that hosting a competition to see who could draw the most offensive portrait of a major religious figure and then hiring a thousand dollar security force is something honest people would do.

As inappropriate and unfunny as many of these racially-motivated cartoons are, people have every right to create them. Whether they are directed toward Jews, Christians, Muslims, Catholics, Homoloveuals, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, Aborigines, etc.
(didnt see the etc aaagh im blind)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:21:28 PM by Naked Human »

Do you think that it is ok for someone to kill others over a cartoon that is offensive?
no, i do not. but i do not think it's okay for people to purposely offend people for no honest or good reason either.

The Westboro Baptist Church is a tiny organization, you cannot compare that with Islamic fundamentalism, in terms of size.

Why would you protest against humor? It's a free society, well at least the one you are living in (assuming you're in America). You cant tell someone to stop saying something just because you are offended.
I'm not comparing it to the WBC in particular, there are many brands of fundamentalism in America, have you ever watched the documentary Jesus Camp? It's about a religious camp for kids where they were indoctrinating the kids and preparing them for some kind of holy war. And that's just one of these camps. Thousands of people indoctrinate their kids and homeschool them with religious and "moral" teachings instead of sending them to a regular school. This isn't very different from Islamic fundamentalism (not extremism, which is violent, by Islamic fundamentalism I assume you mean more conservative brands of Islam)

And to your second point, they had every right to protest because Pamela Gellar is the founder of a hate group, and is in general a batstuff insane person. But did anyone show up to protest? No.

i was referring to the charlie hebdo cartoonssorry mate, i don't think that hosting a competition to see who could draw the most offensive portrait of a major religious figure and then hiring a thousand dollar security force is something honest people would do.

It's their business, and it is a free country. It's like if Ku Klux Klan members were to march outside of my home (keep in mind that my dad is Jewish), sure I'd dislike it and be offended, however I wouldn't go out there and kill anyone for it. I realize that this is a free society, and you have to respect that. In a democracy, people are entitled to their beliefs.

I'm not comparing it to the WBC in particular, there are many brands of fundamentalism in America, have you ever watched the documentary Jesus Camp? It's about a religious camp for kids where they were indoctrinating the kids and preparing them for some kind of holy war. And that's just one of these camps. Thousands of people indoctrinate their kids and homeschool them with religious and "moral" teachings instead of sending them to a regular school. This isn't very different from Islamic fundamentalism (not extremism, which is violent, by Islamic fundamentalism I assume you mean more conservative brands of Islam)

And to your second point, they had every right to protest because Pamela Gellar is the founder of a hate group, and is in general a batstuff insane person. But did anyone show up to protest? No.

I am aware of radical Christians in America, but you have to keep in mind that America is the most religious nation in the world that is English-speaking and first world. You don't hear about Christian radicals anywhere else, maybe a small minority in some European nations and Canada, but that is it. You don't hear about many people killing others in the name of Christ, in the name of Allah? That's a whole different discussion.

ironically most people didn't even look into all the tribal, anti-semitic, anti-islamic stuff charlie hebdo was putting out on a daily basis and blindy said "JE SUIS" just cus some crazy people shot em, as if they were heroes for drawing mohammed or something

ironically most people didn't even look into all the tribal, anti-semitic, anti-islamic stuff charlie hebdo was putting out on a daily basis and blindy said "JE SUIS" just cus some crazy people shot em, as if they were heroes for drawing mohammed or something
The difference is that what Charlie Hebdo was satirical while Pamela Gellar is legitimately a far right extremist who spews out hate speech.

The difference is that what Charlie Hebdo was satirical while Pamela Gellar is legitimately a far right extremist who spews out hate speech.

I've never heard of Pamela Gellar in my life, and I'm sure others are in the same boat.

A theocracy is a government where god is in charge, Iran for example could be called a theocracy.

Second, the United States is a democratic republic where you democratically elect people to argue and vote on things youthey want and don't want. Remember Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise. Meaning they aren't going to cater to one religion, but they wont stop people from worshipping one.

Third, those political cartoons were aimed at radical islam in general.

Fourth, the gaurds were hired because they didn't want France 2.0 happening.

You either support free speech or you don't. One or the other, not in cases where fits your political ideology.

Of course, they draw every thing. They offend everyone equally in the name of satire. Even the US Government drops questionable propaganda leaflets in time of war. In fact look up the anti CIA leaflet by pysops.