Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1318096 times)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1VHLq
I have 100 bucks
what can I upgrade with that cash

Really not that much you can do that would make a huge difference. But you can do a few things. You could get another 8gb of RAM but that won't really make a difference. You could get a beefier cpu cooler, which won't really make too huge of a difference. If you're not happy with your case you could get a new one, but not many awesome cases for $100 and under.

Really not that much you can do that would make a huge difference. But you can do a few things. You could get another 8gb of RAM but that won't really make a difference. You could get a beefier cpu cooler, which won't really make too huge of a difference. If you're not happy with your case you could get a new one, but not many awesome cases for $100 and under.
Fractal define devine r4 is like 80 from what i recal

I was thinking of getting a ssd

ssd for 100 bucks?
Save up like $20 more and get a samsung one

Fractal define devine r4 is like 80 from what i recal

I was thinking of getting a ssd

I really don't think SSD's are worth it. If you had an intel CPU it might be worth it for the caching which is pretty nice. But really it's up to you.

Save up like $20 more and get a samsung one
i was questioning your thought of getting an ssd for 100

If you have $100 and one monitor I would definitely suggest getting a second monitor. It's the single most worthwhile upgrade I've ever purchased, it makes me so much more productive. If you have desk space and the right cables, you really can't go wrong.

Finally feel I can fit in with you guys now that I am in college and will be building a custom PC next Thursday!

Disclaimer:  It's not built for hardcore gaming and stuff so I know the GPU isn't that great but it's just there in case I want to virtualize any OS's on this machine using the six core processor.  So don't go "Oh that GPU is stuff man get something better or get this!".  Parts are purchased via college via my loans and fees so whats there is there and I can always upgrade stuff later which won't be anytime soon because I have other things I need to buy.

Specs in case you guys were wondering

AMD FX-6350 3.9 ghz black edition - Processor

AMD Radeon HD 6570 2gb - GPU

4gb DDR-3 1333mhz - RAM

128 gb SanDisk SSD - SSD
500 Watt PSU

Thermal Master TC102 Mid Tower ATX case - Case

I will be combining a 320gb HDD I have laying around into it so it won't be primarily the SSD.

EDIT:  only 4gb of ram as I am just using it for now to host my blockland server so there wasn't need to go over my 450 dollar budget for 8gb of ram or anything like that immediately.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:12:11 PM by suburb »

If you have $100 and one monitor I would definitely suggest getting a second monitor. It's the single most worthwhile upgrade I've ever purchased, it makes me so much more productive. If you have desk space and the right cables, you really can't go wrong.
I have two monitors. 1 1440x900 monitor and a 1920x1080 monitor

Hey, thats the CPU I have I'm pretty sure.

Finally feel I can fit in with you guys now that I am in college and will be building a custom PC next Thursday!

Disclaimer:  It's not built for hardcore gaming and stuff so I know the GPU isn't that great but it's just there in case I want to virtualize any OS's on this machine using the six core processor.  So don't go "Oh that GPU is stuff man get something better or get this!".  Parts are purchased via college via my loans and fees so whats there is there and I can always upgrade stuff later which won't be anytime soon because I have other things I need to buy.

-snip-

Specs in case you guys were wondering

AMD FX-6350 3.9 ghz black edition - Processor

AMD Radeon HD 6570 2gb - GPU

4gb DDR-3 1333mhz - RAM

128 gb SanDisk SSD - SSD
500 Watt PSU

Thermal Master TC102 Mid Tower ATX case - Case

I will be combining a 320gb HDD I have laying around into it so it won't be primarily the SSD.

EDIT:  only 4gb of ram as I am just using it for now to host my blockland server so there wasn't need to go over my 450 dollar budget for 8gb of ram or anything like that immediately.

Awesome dude. How you enjoy your first few weeks in college. I'm a senior atm and just finished applying to some for next year :) Can't wait.

Awesome dude. How you enjoy your first few weeks in college. I'm a senior atm and just finished applying to some for next year :) Can't wait.

Going good, doing an associates in Applied Sciences of Computer Information Technology and then will get certified in Networking and what not.  Learning lots more than I ever thought I would.  One of my classes the instructor is insistent on forcing us to translate binary into hexadecimal and so on.

I've been getting a couple of issues on my Desktop recently. This isn't my main computer although I do tend to use it often if I am to be carrying it around, since the case is pretty small and i could easily put it in a bag with me and dock it up downstairs or something.

Anyway, recently I've been getting issues where my PC seems to loose responsiveness of the human interface devices, this doesn't happen when it's barely running but I seem to notice it the most when I am playing on a game like Blockland. However, my PC does not slow down, loose framerates or anything upon that, it just seems to stop responding. It's quite weird to understand.

I was thinking this could be related to my HDD however, because the HDD is over 3 years old and I have run that storage unit so intensively in the last couple of years.  I thought it could be my HDD because of how it's the oldest part inside the case. Everything else is fairly new.

The specifications:
Motherboard: ASRock 990fx Extreme 3
CPU: AMD Phenom II Black Edition X4 965 (3.4ghz)
Memory: Some 1333 4GB Kingston unit (this is just as old as the hard drive also)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
HDD: Seagate 400GB 5400rpm (God knows what specification is)

Could anyone help me? Is it a bottleneck with one of the items? Possibly the RAM that's slowing it down? I am due for an upgrade on this PC soon anyway so I'd like you guys to get back to me with the parts which could help me solve my problem.

I am also going to restore the OS soon because it's slow as forget.

Edit: I am just transfering some files over to my other hard drive and it seems like my keyboard and mouse keep loosing responsiveness, could this be to do with anything with the hard drive?
Needs more attention please, I could do with the help

Same here

Same here

If your school does any instant decision days for a college you're interested in go to them. On top of this apply for every single scholarship you can. A lot of scholarships have very few people going for them. Some might even have nobody so always check around.

Also when you go to college make sure you meet people. I commute  so I haven't really made many friends and it's disappointing as forget. I'm planning on going to more on campus activities because the Comp Science department does a lot of programming contests and stuff which seems cool.