Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 432561 times)

Will sun shining on dust/smoke light it up a little? Because that would be cool having one source of sunlight streaming into a cave, seeing dust floating around.

YES YES YEEEES

Will sun shining on dust/smoke light it up a little? Because that would be cool having one source of sunlight streaming into a cave, seeing dust floating around.

i'm sure we have emitters like this, or at least it would be easy for someone to make.

Wow, I never really noticed it, but this game will be SO MUCH MORE realistic, don't know why people are against for bad looking terrains. Like it was said, that used to look good, time to move on.

Wow, I never really noticed it, but this game will be SO MUCH MORE realistic, don't know why people are against for bad looking terrains. Like it was said, that used to look good, time to move on.
Well, if you actually think about we are going to lose all the bedrooms, kitchens and other cool maps people like to play in. If you build a house in Bedroom you feel like your in a safe home. If you build a house in a middle of nowhere you kinda feel sad.

Question

Will there still be a way to play on terrain maps when the update is out?  Maybe using a mod?

No. --kompressor
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:35:15 PM by kompressor »

That actually made me think, if emitters were effected by shadows we'd have to add some sort of new property to emitters, so that would could have a fire in a dark area, and still have the fire be bright.

Speaking of emitters, is that bug that makes emitters invisible behind transparent bricks fixed with the shadow update? Or is it be something we might have to wait for?

I like this idea

Well, if you actually think about we are going to lose all the bedrooms, kitchens and other cool maps people like to play in. If you build a house in Bedroom you feel like your in a safe home. If you build a house in a middle of nowhere you kinda feel sad.
I guess, I don't feel sad, but I see what you mean.

Can't wait for this epic update, Do you know when it will come out?
Quote from: kompressor
"When is this release going to happen?" When it’s done. We will probably initially release shadows with a toggle to turn them ON, then later have them on by default.
but I'm gonna assume it's coming out on the 24th (5 year anniversary)

I'm looking forward this this more and more every day. This might add a new tactic to TDM's. You'll have to make sure your shadow isn't showing if you're setting up an ambush. In the same way you'll be able to see a players shadow when he's coming around a corner.

Also if the code is released for shaders, will it be possible to make something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpksyojwqzE

this is what i don't want. dumb noobs going around going "lol this looks so weird on the acid mode!!"
shaders should be forced to the server's choice, not the client's choice

I'm looking forward this this more and more every day. This might add a new tactic to TDM's. You'll have to make sure your shadow isn't showing if you're setting up an ambush. In the same way you'll be able to see a players shadow when he's coming around a corner.

Also if the code is released for shaders, will it be possible to make something like this?

I was wondering the same thing, that shader is sweet.

Or you could ask me realllly nicely and I'll make an emitter

Will prints have shading now? Like they won't be glow-in-the-dark?