Author Topic: Using a flash drive on 3.3v USB  (Read 2240 times)

Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to give a little back story, might help a little bit:

The company I work for builds computerized inventory control machines, and I've semi-recently been moved to building and imaging computers. We stick a flash drive inside of the computers to back up the core files for our program, the flash drive is plugged in to an internal USB expansion. We've been having read/write errors and discovered that the internal ports are only putting out 3.3v rather than 5v like the front and back panel ports. We slowed down the USB ports from 2.0 to 1.1 and the back up/restore works fine, albeit very slowly. The controller is linked to the front panel ports though, which could cause issues with the thumb print readers, proximity readers, etc. We are trying to find a flash drive that can operate at only 3.3v rather than use the more expensive solution one of our engineers came up with. (Sucking additional power out of the second SATA port for the USB wires)

If you know anything about this sort of thing your help would be much appreciated. Is it possible, or will we have to use the second wire? We can't put the flash drive on the outside because we need as many external ports open as possible.

I've never heard of this happening.

Also you could get a Y cable like they do for external drives to get more power.

Can you get a computer that has support for internal 5V USB?

Also you could get a Y cable like they do for external drives to get more power.

We're looking into a similar solution but we don't want to spend the extra money if we don't have to.

Can you get a computer that has support for internal 5V USB?

We only use one certain type of computer (AOpen DE7000) and it was just adopted early last year. Changing the computer would result in thousands of customers asking for new models.

Building and imaging computers... awesome dude.

I am sure that you can find that sort of USB Drive. Perhaps a new USB 3.0 flash drive is available that runs on 3.3v which would be backwards compatible.

Here is a website that details the USB pinout: http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

From the looks of it all USB devices require ~ 5 Volts to run so I'm not sure how you got it to work with 3.3

So I guess we'll just have to suck in that extra power, huh? Damn.

Try using a separately-powered External-USB-Hub maybe?

Good idea.

A USB hub can have up to 255 devices attached. You could just split one of your external hubs into several and put one on the inside.

That would cost about the same amount as the secondary power wire.