Author Topic: ISideWith 2016 US President Election  (Read 26241 times)

That's frequently the issue in many cases. Although sometimes it's less "free stuff" but more so initiatives to actually improve people's lives and make them self-sufficient, one frequently misunderstood example of this being California's upcoming high-speed rail.
I wouldn't put my eggs into that basket. Let's go wreck the valleys economy so we can have a train from SF to LA that not too many people might ride.

I wouldn't put my eggs into that basket. Let's go wreck the valleys economy so we can have a train from SF to LA that not too many people might ride.
Like I said. This is actually a massive economic boost. It goes through the valley so more people have access to the jobs available in places where housing is too expensive. Many people have to live away from all that because of disparages in living costs. When this train comes around, people will now have a much better chance at getting jobs in the high-income areas, helping end the wealth inequality created by such housing dilemmas. I've been to one of those little valley towns. There's really not much opportunity there, maybe a burger joint or cafe total. But give them a train that takes them to big cities? Jobs and GDP will be flowing in.

Oh yeah, not to mention the thousands of cars it will be taking off the road, significantly hurting car pollution. Always a bonus.

I wish we'd actually use railroads more for transportation across the states in general.

Like I said. This is actually a massive economic boost. It goes through the valley so more people have access to the jobs available in places where housing is too expensive. Many people have to live away from all that because of disparages in living costs. When this train comes around, people will now have a much better chance at getting jobs in the high-income areas, helping end the wealth inequality created by such housing dilemmas. I've been to one of those little valley towns. There's really not much opportunity there, maybe a burger joint or cafe total. But give them a train that takes them to big cities? Jobs and GDP will be flowing in.

Oh yeah, not to mention the thousands of cars it will be taking off the road, significantly hurting car pollution. Always a bonus.
Well most people that live down here are people from the San Jose and other Bay Area communities who decided to take advantage of the cheaper housing. I will admit the 99 is pretty ugly when it comes to both pollution and traffic.

However the commuters brought problems of their own. There I what I like to call cardboard houses which are these cheap looking houses that they stick super close together, boxy shaped, covered in stucco and mass produced. There is no character to them what so ever. Then you get the riff raff brought over from the bay, basically hood trash that's wants to be just like the Nortenos and street gangs found in the larger northern cities. They made small quiet communities like Los Banos are now a dump. There are places which are like mini cities such as Modesto, Stockton, Ceres, Merced, Fresno, etc, they got some nice parts to them and some really bad parts.

My family has been here long before the dust bowl even had a vineyard, but inheritance is a bitch. A lot of people I know that live here had parents who came from the bay, but pretty much everyone bails once the graduate from high school and go to the bay where their is more stuff to do, them come back because it got to expensive for them. It's like the great salmon, they spawn, their born, leave for better places and them come back to spawn again expect with people and money. But yeah entertainment is also none existent here, so I can also see why most people prefer the bay to the valley. But yeah fast city life style people just aren't made for this place.

-snip-
There was a point in time in which I had to take the fairly expensive San Joaquin Amtrak line down to Corcoran, a little town nobody will ever hear about. Perhaps the only thing you might have heard of it is because it has a prison which houses Charles Manson. I've stopped at places along the way like Bakersfield and even went to Fresno once, and there is simply no opportunity. And the fault doesn't lie with the community or its people, it's the fact that it's so far away from the places where the jobs are.
This rail is a fantastic idea, for the economy and for people. Perhaps with more opportunity, the housing situations will be better, because then people will have the money to buy them.

-snip-
So you don't believe that humans have any kind of conscience that innately tells us that killing is bad, or that it's too weak to stop murder?  There's little other than the fear of punishment keeping me from putting a knife between Taciturn's ribs?
I won't say that law, particularly deterrence through punishment, has nothing to do with a certain level of order, but I will say that anything beyond that is simply setting up hurdles that those who are not perturbed by the consequences of their actions will almost always overcome.

So you don't believe that humans have any kind of conscience that innately tells us that killing is bad, or that it's too weak to stop murder?  There's little other than the fear of punishment keeping me from putting a knife between Taciturn's ribs?
I won't say that law, particularly deterrence through punishment, has nothing to do with a certain level of order, but I will say that anything beyond that is simply setting up hurdles that those who are not perturbed by the consequences of their actions will almost always overcome.
i 100% didn't take that extreme. in fact, i implied the opposite. humans have an innate sense morality (or more specifically, the ability to hold morality) and law exists to uphold that morality on a macro scale. and it's not just 'fear of punishment,' the law (or, its authority) is accepted as legitimate by those subject to it, and that's why it's effective and valid. the fact is, law is meaningless if it isn't trusted and accepted by the society in which it exists, but we're fortunate enough to live in a society where that's not the case, and so the law exists as a way to maintain a unified order on such a grand scale. what i'm suggesting is that law's function in society is to, through its systematic handling of deviant (deviant in the sense that they do not conform to accepted values) individuals, more firmly establish an understanding of what is deviant. punishment isn't there just as a coercion to conform, punishment is there to confirm conformity, or to make it clear that something is accepted as right or wrong in the context of a culture. i'd be willing to bet that there's little innate human morality can do to uphold courteous traffic practices such as obeying the word "stop," but The Law helps to make it clear (or accepted) that obeying traffic rules is paramount to the safety of others and the effectiveness of our road systems.

on a small scale, human morality is fair enough, because small groups are fairly effective at establishing norms within even just a few moments, but when you're talking on a scale to the key of tens of millions of citizens, law acts as a more efficient way to systematically handle deviance and ensure order.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:08:42 PM by otto-san »

I side with Bernie Sanders on 78% of issues in the 2016 Presidential election
but hillary is 80%

but for some reason, I trust a man that looks like he'll go senile during his term more than hillary.