Author Topic: New LG G3 is out - Need Android Advice  (Read 3095 times)

Android is love, Android is life.
I had an iPod 4th gen, and liked it alot, but when I upgraded from a normal phone to a smart phone I got a Galaxy S, I didnt really like it that much. I lost my iPod and got really used to the android. I really liked it. I finally upgraded again to the s4 and love it sooo much. My mom found my ipod like 2 months ago,  and I havent even charged it or anything.

I had an iPod 4th gen, and liked it alot, but when I upgraded from a normal phone to a smart phone I got a Galaxy S, I didnt really like it that much. I lost my iPod and got really used to the android. I really liked it. I finally upgraded again to the s4 and love it sooo much. My mom found my ipod like 2 months ago,  and I havent even charged it or anything.
Great story...don't really see how it is relevant to anything.

I usually only have brightness at around 20%, would be overheating problem affect the phones lifespan/performance?
I doubt it would affect its lifespan. If it turns out it does, LG would almost certainly issue a recall or some sort of replacement plan. Then again thats irrelevant as Im certain it wont hurt the lifespan of the phone - Thats why they have the overheating messages and protocols, to prevent damage to the phone.

I can live without the brightness up high to as I have legit never had to put it on full brightness. In the video MKBHD mentions though that one time it threatened that if the phone didnt cool it would shut down but it didnt get hot enough to do so and Im sure that was a rare thing - At least LG put in precautions to prevent the phone from overheating.

I would still get the phone though - Its beautiful, the specs are amazing, and dem bezels

I'm stuck with a Galaxy S from 2010. It runs Android 4.0 so this is the slowest a smartphone can get. I'm always out of RAM and the CPU likes to be at 1 GHz all the time. Plus the 3G transmitter looks like it's breaking, meaning in 1-3 months I'll be stuck with slow 80 Kbps 2G (which has 30%-70% packet loss). The only good thing is the 16 GB of storage.

Yea, I never go full brightness nor do I do any gaming on my smartphone so I think i'll be fine.

I'm getting it tomorrow, so i'm pretty happy.

I'm stuck with a Galaxy S from 2010. It runs Android 4.0 so this is the slowest a smartphone can get. I'm always out of RAM and the CPU likes to be at 1 GHz all the time. Plus the 3G transmitter looks like it's breaking, meaning in 1-3 months I'll be stuck with slow 80 Kbps 2G (which has 30%-70% packet loss). The only good thing is the 16 GB of storage.
Ouch... also 16GB isn't really much.

I plan to get Malwarebytes for Android, will this be good for protecting my G3?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.malwarebytes.antimalware&hl=en

I plan to get Malwarebytes for Android, will this be good for protecting my G3?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.malwarebytes.antimalware&hl=en
I wouldnt bother - Apps like that usually just kill your battery. Unless you go looking for malware your phone will be safe.

Also 16GB, yikes. Thats like the new 8GB.

I wouldnt bother - Apps like that usually just kill your battery. Unless you go looking for malware your phone will be safe.
I mean, I would probably keep real time protection off and do a scan once a day.

Also 16GB, yikes. Thats like the new 8GB.
Lucky for me the G3 has 32GB and 128GB Storage expansion with SD Card.

Great story...don't really see how it is relevant to anything.
P much a long version of "I like android"

16GB isn't really much.
Four years ago, it was equivalent to having 48 GB today. The SD card is okay but the rest of the hardware is garbage. I also don't really need more than 8 GB of space; I usually use my mobile phone to play 3D games, browse the Web, or program some code.

I am going to have to wait until the beginning of December to get out of this old-phone loop. My choices are going to be a HTC One M7/M8, LG G2, LG G3 if it is cheap enough, and Motorola Droid Maxx.

My first smartphone was a Motorola Droid Bionic and my next one was a Motorola Droid Mini. Both of those phones had problems with the battery: a problem would develop where the percentage would instantly drop 10-30%. For example, when my Mini is at 60%, it instantly drops to 40%. The Bionic would drop from 38% to 19% and from 80% to 70%. The Bionic's 4G transmitter broke after 1.5 years of use. So at first, I never considered getting another Motorola.

I would not recommend fooling around with a phone in the Motorola Droid series.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:44:43 PM by Hammereditor5 »

Get the HTC M8 or LG G3, the HTC was my original choice but I then decided the LG would be a much nicer phone.

Get the HTC M8 or LG G3, the HTC was my original choice but I then decided the LG would be a much nicer phone.
I'm aiming for an LG G2. The battery life is excellent plus you can easily underclock it on top of that, without affecting performance much. I just found out that the G3 was released last month instead of in 2013 as I originally thought. I don't mind getting a new phone which is 1.5 years old as long as the features are okay. I easily break mobile devices so I'm not going to get an expensive one this time. All I want is a smooth, large-battery one which is decent. I care more about hardware then release date.

Also, both a HTC one M7 and M8 have smaller batteries than I want. I'm not okay with anything lower than 3000 mAh. I am using a 1200 mAh phone right now and it sucks.

My biggest concern with these newer phones is display size and breakability. I would prefer a 4-inch display which never cracks as long as you put the screen protector on, over a 5-inch display which cracks even with a screen protector. I don't care about size or resolution as long as it's drop-resistant, I'm used to even 960x540. Which new phones are hardy and aren't made out of ice?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:01:45 PM by Hammereditor5 »

I'm aiming for an LG G2. The battery life is excellent plus you can easily underclock it on top of that, without affecting performance much. I just found out that the G3 was released last month instead of in 2013 as I originally thought. I don't mind getting a new phone which is 1.5 years old as long as the features are okay. I easily break mobile devices so I'm not going to get an expensive one this time. All I want is a smooth, large-battery one which is decent. I care more about hardware then release date.

Also, both a HTC one M7 and M8 have smaller batteries than I want. I'm not okay with anything lower than 3000 mAh. I am using a 1200 mAh phone right now and it sucks.

My biggest concern with these newer phones is display size and breakability. I would prefer a 4-inch display which never cracks as long as you put the screen protector on, over a 5-inch display which cracks even with a screen protector. I don't care about size or resolution as long as it's drop-resistant, I'm used to even 960x540. Which new phones are hardy and aren't made out of ice?
Battery size doesn't mean better battery life. It all has to do with the hardware, software, etc.

Also i'm pretty sure the LG G3 is the only phone with a 3000mAh+ battery.

Battery size doesn't mean better battery life. It all has to do with the hardware, software, etc.
I know, and that's why the Droid Maxx has about the same net life for me as the LG G2 does, even though the Maxx has 3600 mAh instead of 3000. I always under clock the CPU and screen brightness is usually in the negatives. The Maxx is root-locked so that's why it would probably have the same net life as a LG G2.

Also i'm pretty sure the LG G3 is the only phone with a 3000mAh+ battery.
LG G2 has 3000 mAh and Motorola Droid Maxx has 3600 mAh. Even though they're one year old they have good battery. Something as new and expensive as an LG G3 is not available to me unless I want to wait until August 2015. My phone would be 5 years old by then, meaning it would be unusable, so even a early 2013 phone is better choice than waiting.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:23:01 PM by Hammereditor5 »

I honestly don't see why people exaggerate smaller storage sizes so much, unless you like packing 19 movies int your phone at a time 16gb is fine lol