Author Topic: so im thinking about buying a bass guitar  (Read 1179 times)

the thing that pisses me off the most is that no matter how much people explain to me, i cant figure out how to mute certain strings. like for example on guitar if i only wanted to play the 1st, 3rd, and 6th, how would i mute the other strings?
place fingers on 1st, 3rd, and 6th string
now place your finger over the strings you wanted muted while still holding the 1st, 3rd, and 6th strings

If you buy a guitar, buy a really expensive one.

The logic is that if you invest a lot of money into something, you'll want to be dedicated because otherwise it's a massive waste. I bought a cheap electric guitar and gave up early, and I almost never played with the several acoustic guitars I've had.
please don't do this. you're only wasting your money.

place fingers on 1st, 3rd, and 6th string
now place your finger over the strings you wanted muted while still holding the 1st, 3rd, and 6th strings

how the hell is that even physically possible?

how the hell is that even physically possible?
tell me what kind of weird stuff you're trying to play that requires you to play 1st, 3rd, and 6th strings anyways
(that means tell me what frets)

tell me what kind of weird stuff you're trying to play that requires you to play 1st, 3rd, and 6th strings anyways
(that means tell me what frets)

it was an example, ive seen some chords having weird fingerings like that.

it was an example, ive seen some chords having weird fingerings like that.
well truth is most guitar chords don't have that weird bullstuff fingerings
unless you're trying to play some jazz chords

oh man i really want to learn guitar. go for it, bass guitar in peticular sounds great imo

Don't make the mistake of thinking bass is going to be easier than guitar. It's not; it's very different.

The amount of strings doesn't really matter, like the amount of holes in a pipe or keys on a piano you just get used to them with practice.
If you get a bass make sure to learn to do some groovy ass slap bass jams

I'm actually considering learning the bass too. My youth group has someone on drums, guitar, and vocals, but they don't have a bassist.

I do have past guitar experience, but idk. I'm not big on playing for other people. I get really nervous and stuff.

i can play drums, but no one around here has a band going on

Thing is I don't know how complicated the parts they'd want me to play are, so I don't know how long it would take to get to the point of actually being able to play with them.

Thing is I don't know how complicated the parts they'd want me to play are, so I don't know how long it would take to get to the point of actually being able to play with them.

depends on the genre. is it metal, rock, soft rock, etc.?

depends on the genre. is it metal, rock, soft rock, etc.?
probably closest to soft rock, it think

probably closest to soft rock, it think

the good side about soft rock is that you don't have to worry about unbelievably fast tempos. rhythm isn't usually too hard either. if you can read sheet music and count rhythms, it'll take you far less time.

the good side about soft rock is that you don't have to worry about unbelievably fast tempos. rhythm isn't usually too hard either. if you can read sheet music and count rhythms, it'll take you far less time.
if I were to look at some sheet music right now, I would not understand it, but I used to be able to. I could probably pick it back up fairly quickly.