Author Topic: reddit CEO caught editing users' posts; reddit on fire (update, page 4)  (Read 6106 times)

I hope he realizes he's ruined the credibility of reddit (and the admins) forever. Him admitting to it proves that not only can admins shadowban, edit posts without a trace, but it's not a stretch to say they can manipulate votes.
any website in the history of websites can do this
badspot can do all of those things if he wants to

any website in the history of websites can do this
badspot can do all of those things if he wants to
Yeah, I don't get why anyone assumed reddit was some sort of infallible uncorruptable forum.
The admits shouldn't change people's posts, but it is no surprise that they can.

And there's no less reason to trust what is written on reddit than there was before.

So long as /r/crappydesign, /r/talesfromtechsupport, /r/LiveStreamFail and /r/altgonewild all keep chugging along, I'm fine with reddit.

blf is the one true source of information

donald sub's edit button has been changed to "spez" lol

Who needs reddit when you have The Blogland Forums?

not sure how valid this is but it sure is quackin' crazy

Stratton v. Prodigy was overturned in 96, also reddit would of already been liable had the case even applied.  So as always better to not trust the legal experts of a site created to protect the important pillar of free speech that is questionably legal pictures of underage children.

not sure how valid this is but it sure is quackin' crazy

editing a few posts =/= taking responsibility for reviewing every post on the site
it's not even remotely the same. this is also something that every website is not only capable of doing, but absolutely does do. the alternative is leaving up any infringing content

damn, Toxicology actually contributed to a conversation instead of trolling, I applaud you sir.

editing a few posts =/= taking responsibility for reviewing every post on the site
it's not even remotely the same. this is also something that every website is not only capable of doing, but absolutely does do. the alternative is leaving up any infringing content
do you not know how the law works or something because that's exactly how it doesn't work.

and those other websites that apparently edit users comments are liable for said comments also.

do you not know how the law works or something because that's exactly how it doesn't work.
and those other websites that apparently edit users comments are liable for said comments also.
uh, prove it? the only thing I can see that even remotely supports what you're saying is the second court case mentioned in toxicology's post, which, as devildog said, was overruled
to be specific, it was overruled by a section of the Communications Decency Act, which is a part of the united states law code. so it's not even like I'm arguing over precedence. it's literally the law

but sure, I don't know how the law works ;)

uh, prove it? the only thing I can see that even remotely supports what you're saying is the second court case mentioned in toxicology's post, which, as devildog said, was overruled
to be specific, it was overruled by a section of the Communications Decency Act, which is a part of the united states law code. so it's not even like I'm arguing over precedence. it's literally the law

but sure, I don't know how the law works ;)
no, you don't know how it works, that court case is referring to the provider for said internet serivce being liable for anything and everything displayed on it's service regardless if the content originated from the provider or a user within the service.

But in this situation, the content in question is originating from said provider rather than the user, but being masked as content originating from the user.

Not to mention that court case pre-dates Reddit and is completely unrelated to Reddit and to what's going on within Reddit, they are editing users posts and tried to hide it, they are therefore automatically liable for any and every single post on that website given the implications that they edit posts in secret hoping no one will notice.

no, you don't know how it works, that court case is referring to the provider for said internet serivce being liable for anything and everything displayed on it's service regardless if the content originated from the provider or a user within the service.

You're saying that the Stratton v. Prodigy case is irrelevant to Reddit when the only thing making the connection to Reddit being liable for all content on the site is a stuffty picture from 8chan citing that case? So if not Stratton v. Prodigy what case law says this?

But in this situation, the content in question is originating from said provider rather than the user, but being masked as content originating from the user.

So since several comments were changed all content is from the provider?  This raises doubt over the use of reddit comments as evidence which should have already been questionable evidence without more circumstantial evidence to connect them.

Not to mention that court case pre-dates Reddit and is completely unrelated to Reddit and to what's going on within Reddit, they are editing users posts and tried to hide it, they are therefore automatically liable for any and every single post on that website given the implications that they edit posts in secret hoping no one will notice.

Just because a court case predates something doesn't mean it doesn't set a precedent for the law. Where is the idea that they are automatically liable for any and every single post coming from exactly?  Prodigy hosted their own content and had software in place that would automatically filter out obscene language. That seems more than similar enough to be used as an argument in court.  It could always swing the other way, I don't see it going very far though.

Are you talking about different statutes or case law than us cause you're making an awful lot of statements as if they're fact without referencing anything..