Author Topic: How would I make a static map?  (Read 3045 times)

I'd like to know how. I got so many ideas and .blend files of maps I made.

Hey man,
for future reference this question might be a little more appropriate for the Modification Help category.
Tendon made a fairly in-depth tutorial on the process of using his export script for blender here
If you have any questions about it feel free to message me or add me on discord

you can make some pretty cool stuff! I'd love to see people making custom maps for different game types

^^^ayyy altar of storms WoW represent

what about blackrock foundry

host release now thanks

holy stuff i completely forgot about that place

Hey man,
for future reference this question might be a little more appropriate for the Modification Help category.
Tendon made a fairly in-depth tutorial on the process of using his export script for blender here
If you have any questions about it feel free to message me or add me on discord

you can make some pretty cool stuff! I'd love to see people making custom maps for different game types

Thanks, was lookin for a tutorial. Couldn't find any.

woof
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=309523.0
oh cool, you're still doing that stuff.  that's neat to see.

It's an old pic. I stopped doing that stuff and then I forgot because I was discouraged by the performance issues with larger maps. It would be possible to make a Doom map maybe?

It's an old pic. I stopped doing that stuff and then I forgot because I was discouraged by the performance issues with larger maps. It would be possible to make a Doom map maybe?
Yes, probably.  Though it would be a trick to get and of it into a 3D modeling program.  Doom did 3D in such a different way that it's usually referred to as a 2.5D game.

Oh nevermind, it looks like it's been done before: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/42508-convert-doom-maps-to-a-3d-model/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:30:46 AM by Tendon »

you can try breaking up large pieces into a bunch of smaller static shapes, should help. fairly sure the lag is caused by one object being in way too many oct tree zones

you can try breaking up large pieces into a bunch of smaller static shapes, should help. fairly sure the lag is caused by one object being in way too many oct tree zones

I have no idea what an oct tree zone is but I did a little bit of messing around with different setups.
There doesn't seem to be any lag coming from large or complex visual models. The bad performance I got was from scaling up simple collision objects

I have no idea what an oct tree zone is but I did a little bit of messing around with different setups.
There doesn't seem to be any lag coming from large or complex visual models. The bad performance I got was from scaling up simple collision objects
yeah, those mess with oct tree. i was thinking having multiple separate shapes might lessen the load on the server