Gnome
KDE
XFCE
LXDE
Unity (why not)
MATE
Other
None/WM

Author Topic: linux_megathread_3.pkg.tar.xz -- Post your desktop!  (Read 42443 times)

closed source → no control or ability to introspect what it is doing → program instructs your computer to do things someone else made it do
it's not real-time control, but still control (can be real-time with backdoors and related things)

i don't see how you can assert that they do not have a backdoor, maybe they do, maybe they don't, but that's not the point

how are you not uncomfortable with running third-party executables on your machine without having any way to inspect them, let alone control them?
that's a licensing issue, you're talking about free as in freedom software, which is hard to sell
open source software can be commercial, it's the license that dictates whether it will be hard to sell or not

Back door viruses (or malicious software running backdoors) are illegal, and microsoft could be sued by millions of people for stealing their data, Windows also wouldn't have as much users as it has.
I am very comfortable with running my drivers on my NVidia graphics card, I am comfortable with running games like Battlefield or programs like Photoshop or Foobar. If you don't trust microsoft and their closed source software then please dont spam random threads with lies and bullstuff you read on the most random site ever.
Keep it to yourself or ask somebody if it's true (in this case it's not)

Yeah, NiX, you shouldn't yell at people for using an OS you don't like. Windows is perfectly usable for the user who prefers not using terminals.

how are you not uncomfortable with running third-party executables on your machine without having any way to inspect them, let alone control them?
The same way I am not uncomfortable with eating food that hasn't had it's complete recipe published. Sure, they could be baking arsenic into those cookies, but I'm confident enough that they're not.

that's a licensing issue, you're talking about free as in freedom software, which is hard to sell
open source software can be commercial, it's the license that dictates whether it will be hard to sell or not
It doesn't matter if it's licensed strictly, people can just remove the checks for proper licensing in the software and use it without purchasing it. Sure it's illegal, but that's 100% what's going to happen to software that elects to be open source.

The same way I am not uncomfortable with eating food that hasn't had it's complete recipe published. Sure, they could be baking arsenic into those cookies, but I'm confident enough that they're not.
I would give you a delta if this was /r/changemyview

What about when the cook makes the cookies wrong? (vulnerabilities)
How can you ensure that these vulnerabilities are either patched or non existent? You're dead by the time you finish eating the cookie.

yes you added manjaro good job
now add crunchbang and steamos

Why? I just added Manjaro because it seems to be popular around these forums.

Crunchbang is an awful distro and steam is in beta

I would give you a delta if this was /r/changemyview

What about when the cook makes the cookies wrong? (vulnerabilities)
How can you ensure that these vulnerabilities are either patched or non existent? You're dead by the time you finish eating the cookie.

I don't know what a delta is, but thanks?

Vulnerabilities aren't generally abused by their creators, so the cook wouldn't be the one using the vulnerability. It's more like what if some dude asks to see your cookie then pours arsenic on it; in which case I'd evaluate the character of the dude asking to see my cookie, and if he checks my mental passes I'd let him see it. If he pours arsenic on it anyway, it's my fault for letting him see my cookie.

you should add eOS to the OP

Tell me about it first.
It's a modular operating system a lot like UNIX that is meant for Supercomputers.

It's a modular operating system a lot like UNIX that is meant for Supercomputers.
i doubt anyone here has a supercomputer or is 90 years old and has memorized every command in C++

Ew, pantheon looks like it's trying to be a mac.

Ew, pantheon looks like it's trying to be a mac.
so what
add it in the op anyway, its a very nice distro