Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 445029 times)

Learning python, but in the context of comp sci. Game design course is starting off easy with Construct

next to work on: guns and enemy ai! (bots move in a random direction right now)
just finished working on smoothing the player movement (its grid based) which was hard as forget

Good stuff

there's square marks on the red guy after he goes through the grass.  are those GIF artifacts or?

isn't it kinda weird that the grass is over the character's head when you're walking through it

Right now I'm working on a top down, 2d RPG that is currently just a LoZ: Link to the Past clone, as you can see:

Except the major difference (of course besides eventually using my own graphics and some other mechanics) is that it will take place in real time, much like the Animal Crossing series.

I'm looking to add a variety of features that would expand on the classic SNES RPG formula which would include farming and resource management, tool creation and home/farm expansions, plus plenty of side quests and exploration (hopefully having a map way bigger than any SNES game would be able to handle).

Currently this project is just something I'm doing in my spare time and might take forever to get it into a workable state that I'd let you play, but you get the gist of it. Basically if Animal Crossing met Harvest Moon met Loz, that's this game.

Any feedback/ideas/etc are welcomed. It's a kind of game I've always be fascinated with and am surprised more haven't been made.

-words-

I always thought the various ways you could deface the world in old Zelda games were pretty cool (cutting grass/bushes, burning trees, digging up ground, etc.).  If you could work all that into the game in a more freeform way (ie, the ability to replant, replace, and build stuff) it'd be awesome.  I guess those are already sort of Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon Mechanics, but any game mechanic that lets you reface the level to your liking gets me excited.

Do you need help with colors at all?  I know the LttP graphics are temporary, but they look kind of... badly-ported.

I'm going to bump this thread with something you have probably already seen: Mario in Unreal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUKcSiAPJoQ

I don't know why but I REALLY like the look of it. It looks like a Pixar movie in terms of quality. I swear the Unreal Engine 4 shader can make ANYTHING look good.

Is there anyone else using Phaser here? I don't want to feel alone

-snippy snip-
Since i'm guessing you're using an IDE, what are you using with LUA?

LUA
it's just Lua. not all-caps

I don't think there are any dedicated Lua IDEs, but Komodo Edit is a cool text editor with really nice project-related features, and it includes Lua syntax highlighting by default (along with a LOT of other languages)
it's like a middle ground between a full-fledged IDE and something like notepad++
plus it's open-source and cross-platform

it's just Lua. not all-caps

I don't think there are any dedicated Lua IDEs, but Komodo Edit is a cool text editor with really nice project-related features, and it includes Lua syntax highlighting by default (along with a LOT of other languages)
it's like a middle ground between a full-fledged IDE and something like notepad++
plus it's open-source and cross-platform
Woops. Well, this looks really cool.

I and a lot of other Lua/LOVE devs just use Atom or Sublime Text along with a couple of plugins, notably one that allows building with Ctrl+B or a similar command. It's pretty handy, and is a nice middle ground between doing too much and doing too little.

If you're actually looking for an IDE, I'd definitely recommend Zerobrane. The major downside to using Zerobrane (for me, anyway) is that it lacks customizability through community plugins, along with a lot of helpful specific text editing features, like multi-select (I can't remember if it's been implemented since I last checked, though).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:25:38 PM by Kingdaro »

I and a lot of other Lua/LOVE devs just use Atom or Sublime Text along with a couple of plugins, notably one that allows building with Ctrl+B or a similar command. It's pretty handy, and is a nice middle ground between doing too much and doing too little.

If you're actually looking for an IDE, I'd definitely recommend Zerobrane. The major downside to using Zerobrane (for me, anyway) is that it lacks customizability through community plugins, along with a lot of helpful specific text editing features, like multi-select (I can't remember if it's been implemented since I last checked, though).
Thanks! I'm just getting into Lua, so everything I can get together is more helpful