Have you updated to Windows 10?

Yes
50 (57.5%)
No (Post why below)
37 (42.5%)
Mac doesn't support Windows 10
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Window 10 is almost a year old.  (Read 5417 times)

no on my laptop due to privacy issues, MS's pushiness, and I like the Classic Shell start menu more than that slow-as-balls Cortana plus a few driver issues

no on my desktop because I run Debian (Linux)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:10:36 AM by TristanLuigi »

I prefer 7. It's always reminded me of the traditional XP.
Windows 10 has flaws, flaws that I don't feel like describing but I do have one to share:
If I were to watch a DVD movie using Windows Media Player-I can't. I'd have to watch it using an external app from the Windows Store. Sad.

in my own experience, i have had nothing but good come out of upgrading to win10. im lucky enough that all of my hardware and software were compatible.

in my own experience, i have had nothing but good come out of upgrading to win10. im lucky enough that all of my hardware and software were compatible.

Same here. None of the new features are really benefits and now the bloatware is even bloatier and harder to get rid of.

When can we get windows 9?

i still think it's weird that, since windows 8, they've really liked to basically have two separate control panels, and some things are pretty much only plainly accessible in the gross one

in win8 it made sense that you had a desktop control panel and a metro one, but in win10 it just seems redundant. i naturally prefer the original one that i'm used to, but sometimes i find that they've moved certain things or that newer things are only available in the simplified one. which i wouldn't necessarily have a problem with if it weren't "user-friendly" to the point where it seems to hide a lot of options that would be very useful, such as "do not automatically restart my computer thanks"

no on my laptop due to privacy issues, MS's pushiness, and I like the Classic Shell start menu more than that slow-as-balls Cortana plus a few driver issues

no on my desktop because I run Debian (Linux)

you can turn cortana off

you can turn cortana off
yes, but the start menu isn't any less stuffty

the start menu really works p much the same as pre-windows 8, it's just got the metro tiles tacked on. i usually find myself using the right-click menu anyway

the start menu really works p much the same as pre-windows 8, it's just got the metro tiles tacked on. i usually find myself using the right-click menu anyway

Well, what bugs me the most is that the search is painfully slow, and that's about the only thing I use the Start Menu for. Classic Shell on Win 8 was very quick, and searching in Debian is even faster (not sure why).

Not if you customize it to your liking

The right side is similar to pre-Windows 8, you got your various user folders, My PC, Control Panel, and the Run dialog, then the rest is just programs i use on a near day-to-day basis, then further below is the default 'Play and Explore' and 'Life at a Glance' sections that i didn't bother to remove

removing all the tiles from your start menu makes it much better

Well, what bugs me the most is that the search is painfully slow, and that's about the only thing I use the Start Menu for. Classic Shell on Win 8 was very quick, and searching in Debian is even faster (not sure why).
even with cortana, search is p fast for me. though i imagine it would highly depend on your hardware and what you're searching for. but if that was a part of your experience and it's something you use a lot then ya that'd be annoying

i still think it's weird that, since windows 8, they've really liked to basically have two separate control panels, and some things are pretty much only plainly accessible in the gross one
It's not that they've "liked it", it's more of a current workaround because of the layers of complexity involved with the 28 year old Control Panel (first available in Windows 2.0), which is deeply embedded into the system.

I'm sure a future update (long-term) will eventually remove the old Control Panel and add all of its functionality to the UWP version, but for the time being it needs to stay right where it is.

Rather weird to see all the complaints in this thread, because I know my, and my friends, experiences have been nothing but positive compared to previous iterations of Windows, especially when it comes to gaming and compatibility with old games.

win 10 literally bricked my computer 3 times

Why does Windows 10 work flawlessly for some, break completely for some others, or cause a few problems here and there for everyone else?

For the most part it's worked fine for me, both installing and using, but installations on previous systems have caused certain things to break or slow down