1 (1.8%)
Meh
1 (1.8%)
Naw
6 (10.5%)
Hell no
34 (59.6%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Just found a Hard Drive buried in my backyard  (Read 8658 times)

I have a laptop.
Hold on to it until you can get a way to read  it. I wouldn't open it up quite yet until its certain that it won't work anymore.

Hold on to it until you can get a way to read  it. I wouldn't open it up quite yet until its certain that it won't work anymore.
Well its been rained on, a plant is growing in it, so its likely its dead

wet electronics can still work. just dry it out really well.

i would remove the case and attempt to clean it lol. though doing so could damage it more, so it would have to be extremely careful.

Well its been rained on, a plant is growing in it, so its likely its dead
just dry it out really well, and if you do open it, don't put anything magnetic near the disks and don't touch them

I have to leave so ill open it up later. For now you guys discuss this.

id say pay someone to recover the data but if theres cp on it good luck proving it isnt yours lol

id say pay someone to recover the data but if theres cp on it good luck proving it isnt yours lol
Digital forensics don't mean as much when the regular forensics say that it's been buried and weathered for so long. Plus, if that were the case, OP could be too young to be an instigator.

Get a way to read it and make sure it doesn't work before you crack it open wtf

hmm what're the chances that OP won't come back here ?????

The data might still be intact. The casing is meant to be a bit of a vault to keep particulates from the outside from destroying the hard disk. Try and plug it in and see what happens.

Connector port might be fried though. You might need to use some sort of abrasive cleanser to get the leads unrusted.

The data might still be intact. The casing is meant to be a bit of a vault to keep particulates from the outside from destroying the hard disk. Try and plug it in and see what happens.

Connector port might be fried though. You might need to use some sort of abrasive cleanser to get the leads unrusted.
good luck finding a connector for it tho, that drive looks old af