Author Topic: If a really fleshed out RP(G) server popped up, would you play it?  (Read 4104 times)

see what i want to see in an rpg is quests and exploration, not just grinding to kill the same dudes over and over again until you kill yourself, then have to restart

Yeah, an RPG doesn't necessarily NEED to rely heavily on mechanics. An RPG that relies primarily on exploration would be cool.
It's the story that really matters; getting involved and impacted by it; wanting to know how it ends.

And the best part about an rpg that focuses on story and exploration: ANYONE CAN DO IT.

But only a few can do it well. Even i could manage at LEAST something fairly decent if i put my mind to it.

My main plan for the server I planned to host would be an Apoc RP with RPG elements incorporated

You have to search for loot and food but at the same time RPing in areas with others would be a thing.

I wanted it to be realistic in most aspects (excluding human needs such as sleep and thirst as these would make it feel boring and really loving grindy to get clean water and a safe place to sleep, and safe food and medical supplies along with ammo or weapons), thus my suggestions and request topic about realistic weapons where you load the magazine with bullets, then load the clip into the gun

I have the layout for the map planned already, bots shouldn't be an issue, as I'm quite good with interactive bots (atleast in my opinion)

Terrain and building really big areas is going to be the main problem if I wanted to start this, as I'm not the greatest with either

The only thing real* forget done for this big plan i have is a layout for the map and ideas

Doubt if I could actually get this to work it would be good though
messed a lot of things up with this post forget
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:48:04 PM by Im_Gay.avi »

Keep in mind the average age of the common blocklander is between 10-16. They're really not to keen on playing those types of rpgs and will probably bail when they have to do anything mildly challenging in blockland. People look for a quick access to fun, and if there are no signs upon entering the server they'll most likely promptly leave.

The problem I have with super in-depth RPG servers is that I know that my game progress only lasts as long as the host cares to host it. As soon as that server stops being hosted, I look at all the effort I wont ever be able to get back or recall.

If a bit RPG was to be made, Id like it to be a gamemode. Something easily sharable.

Someone really needs to bring back Bluezone, easily one of the best games to be made ;'(

Someone really needs to bring back Bluezone, easily one of the best games to be made ;'(

I wish it was a game I could play.

the only who could do that is kniaz

If you're planning to make an RPG, I recommend checking out GSF Ghost's RPG mod: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=301120.0

The issue with proper roleplays is the dilemma of giving players too much, or restricting them too much.
Let's say I make an apocalyptic roleplay, and I let players choose their entire loadout at spawn. What gives them incentive to roam around? They have no reason for it other than imagination, and you can't rely on everybody to be that creative. But, if I didn't let players do that, they might feel like they're being restricted, and at a loss of creativity if they're not given all of the tools for what they might like to do in the roleplay. If I gave everybody a goal to work towards, say, unlocking an area or fixing something, I can't rely on everybody to want to do that, and I also might end up doing something that feels forced.
Additionally, if I make players work for everything via scavanging and such, I might as well make it a RPG server. Weapons are also their own dilemma in roleplays. Should they do damage, or shouldn't they? Killing other players randomly, as well as "You didn't hit me!!!" are both issues on both sides.

Bluzone could be considered good, but it, as is all other big roleplays, made it nearly impossible for new players to join once a storyline was set in core for the entire map. Once the game has a set plot, everybody has to follow it or else it won't feel authentic. That's one of the issues with a roleplay the scale of Bluzone.

I still don't understand the allure of an RP server. Why spend time on a server with no game or objective to it? I understand that the game is supposed to come from player interaction so I would suppose my opposition would stem from my total lack of interest in game play that directly requires other people to "create" the fun. But even when I do try and play along, I feel like a grown man playing a game of dollhouse.

To me, an RP is the equivalent of making a massive world with nothing in it, throwing player spawns all over and telling players to "figure it out". No real objectives. I find this horribly depressing, wishing there was an NPC or some kind of world interaction to liven things a bit as player interaction could never fill the scope of the world. Besides, most player interactions result in unbiased hostility.

An RP server can only be as fun as the players make it. Most of these types of server (one's that include weapons) become glorified DMs between cliques and anyone caught in between may as well leave seeing how they wont ever be able to do anything under all the crossfire.

It baffles me that somebody could go all out on a wonderful build, pump it with atmosphere, and then omit all game play.
If anything, RP servers are only fun to observe. Trying to take part is a "Can i be doge?" scenario all over again. *insert canned laughter*

In essence: To me, player interaction could never replace the joy and satisfaction of an objective or an experience. Of which, it is neither.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:06:39 AM by Mr.Noßody »

Roleplaying is meant to be a collaborative story. The unbiased hostility comes from people thinking they need to 'win', when really, they're just representing a character within a story.
There are many many better places for roleplaying outside of Blockland. Almost all of which will not actually take place within a game. Whether they be social 'games' (with roleplays worse than BLs, i.e. second life, gaia online, etc), text based chats (marginally better), or forums (usually your best bet). Private roleplays (not 1 on 1, but rather a small group, like 5-10 people) go significantly better, as people are going to be (hopefully) more focused on the creative aspect, as opposed to the people in public spaces that have the "my character needs to be the best at everything because that's how i win roleplays" mentality.

Of course, if it's not your thing though, it's not your thing. I've had roleplaying experience outside of BL, and I'd definitely prefer just to play a game.

Apocalypse RP's are the best and have the most character development. Nobody likes to make RPs anymore, though. :c
I was working on a post-apoc RPG but the building got super frustrating and nobody seemed interested, but I still work on it a little bit from time to time. maybe I'll pick it back up again after finals

Gamefandan did once host a RPG server (Forgot what it was called) and it was pretty damn popular
Was kind of a fantasy RPG thing focusing on killing monsters in different.... worlds? Biomes? (Not sure what they're called) and teamwork was highly important

Last I remember though, it was still WIP
you mean the same server, where you just grinded a stuffton and then got the shotgun class (with high stats) and blazed through everything.

Started to make a plan for this.  The link is a picture of the plan so far, tell me if you guys have suggestions or something.
http://imgur.com/fPYbPU9
Key
⌢⌣⌢⌣⌢⌣⥀⥁⌣⌢⌣⌢⌣⌢
Green = Militarized zone, looting and free fire would not be allowed in these areas.
Yellow = Non military zone, free fire not allowed.  Half decent loot.
Dark Yellow/Brown = Abandoned military zone, non free fire zone, but better loot than yellow zones.
Crimson = Abandoned/non military zone, free fire zone.  Contains the best loot but it's very risky as anybody can shoot you.