Poll

What to focus on first?

Polish and mod completion (add special functionality to bugs and stuff that have been needing it)
Finish and release the MAS Magma Exo-suit
Finish the MAS Scarab-Wasp playertypes
Create more ASN (robotic) playertypes
Finish up and release the currently exsistant but unrelased bugs (the Tremormites, the two spiders, BugMod 3, ect)
Work on the remainder of the wasps
Work on new bugs!
Create more MAS weapons/suits/items/ect

Author Topic: The Bug & MAS Mods (Server coming maybe)  (Read 655450 times)

Did you guys like the spawnrooms? :)

Valve Time                               Actual Time
"Soon" (1998), way before 2005     October 10, 2007   

So the Dragonfly and/or whatever else will be released should safely be out by 2021.
Hate it when people call it Valve time, its an overused saying, I'm kind of been waiting for the Wasps, you just don't mess with the wasps bro.

Did you guys like the spawnrooms? :)

I know I liked them! ;)

Overview/Debrief of last nights server:

==Pictures==

I took this picture by accident. I know it's crappy sorry

Badspot joined!  :)

Can you find the Vein Spider?

(Forgot to take more pictures sorry)

==Mod Balance and Plans==

MAS:

- Magma Exo-Suit -- It's hard to judge the balance of this class from the server, because it's not really designed for Trench-dig environment, but for the most part it was overpowered. I'm going to fiddle with the energy values a bit more, and I'm going to swap the backup pistol with a melee weapon. I might remove this class till it is more fully balanced.

- The Digger Class -- The Molotov was an interesting twist to this class, but it still felt much too helpless. I'll probably give this class a melee weapon (punching) that will dynamically deal damage to to different bugs (big bugs take little to no damage).

- The other classes -- It's hard to tell really. Some felt cheaper than others, the grenades classes especially. I might just edit the grenades to not explode on player impact. I also felt the sniper class was rather cheap, so I might swap that out for something else, or replace the military sniper with the crossbow.

Future additions:

- A medic class -- Several people suggested this. This class's loadout will be: T+T Gauze gun (maybe with an edited shorter range), pistol, and maybe punching.

- Bugspray -- The bugspray will be replaced by the Hand Held Flammer (HFF). End of story.

- ASN Systems -- I will add the Scarab-Wasps by the next hosting. I also will eventually add a flying ASN system.

- A sentry placing class -- Basically, this will be a variation of the current digging class, that replaces the Molotov with a sentry turret (either SMG or Rifle, still haven't decided yet) Turrets will die if they are placed in a bug spawn area, or the bugs' flag room. Also, this class will NOT carry a welder or controller, though I might include Lordician's Wrangler.

BUGS:

- Bug -- These guys really shine as diggers, and backstabbing. That is all there is to say on the matter.
- Big Bug -- I didn't play as these guys enough to make any judgments, but I also didn't see many other people playing as them. I think they won't be a viable class till several other game mechanics are introduced.

- Mite -- Very good as always, though they have a hard time killing things (meant to be this way).
- Poison Mite -- These guys felt way too much like standard mites. I'm going to fiddle around with their direct and poison damage values.

- Tick -- OP as heck. I'm going to nerf the attack, and maybe the health.

- Caterpillar -- Their acid spitting was nice, but overall they weren't so great. Again, they are far from finished. I will buff their spitting however, giving it a slight poison effect, and some splash damage.

- Firefly -- My personal favorite class during the server. They are very good at taking flags once vertical tunnels are built. Also, just so you all know, these guys will be getting several more abilities. ;)

- Spider -- I rarely saw any of these, and I must admit, I didn't even play as one. :S Their poison will be optimized my next server.
- Vein Spider -- These guys were pretty good, though I felt they were hard to play as since the poison currently mounts an empty effects image. I will fix this by next hosting.
- Jumping Spider -- They seems strong, but not OP. I didn't play as one though, from what I remember.

- Earwig -- Someone said these guys were OP, and I think I agree to an extent. They are far from finished though, so don't expect me to change them much, though I might nerf their health slightly. I also meant to give them a slight flying ability, but forgot.. I'll see about adding it in before the next server.

- Scorpion -- I felt they didn't preform so well in the confined tunnels, but overall they were good.

- Worm -- These guys are perfect for Trench Digging. They are perfect for base defense, but not climbing to the surface. I remember being ambushed by a burrowed worm at one point. I died. :(

- Sand Parasite -- They were pretty much perfect. But keep in mind, these guys aren't even done! :O

Future additions:

- Poison effects -- I mentioned this in the spider's review.

- More Shooting bugs -- This is something many people requested. Unfortunately not many planned bugs can shoot/spit. I'll see what I can do though.

- Bug Health Regeneration -- Many people also suggested this. I don't plan to add "standard" health regen to most bugs, but many will have a drain ability with their attacks (biting and enemy will heal you)

- Reduce bug bounding box sizes -- People also suggested this. Short answer: No. Longer: I suppose I could shrink things down slightly, bot not enough so thing fit is smaller spaces, just so they are less crowded. But really, the actual problem is the apparent huge amount of friction between players and bricks when they are rubbing together. If I can find a way to lower this, then things will become easier.

Other additions or News:

- Eventually I will add capture-able sub-bases for each team. When a team's base is captured, they will be unable to select certain classes that are associated with that base (ASN systems, for example). In order for that team to use those certain classes again, they must recapture the base.

- I need to see about disabling the game mechanic that disallows returning an enemy flag when your own flag is being held by an enemy, since this resulted in people (namely Fireflies) camping with flags so that the enemy team couldn't cap flags.

- I fixed my RTB pref issues. Apparently the hat mod was the problem (so I deleted it). If you guys want hats, that's on Trinity Armory's server IF HE DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. ;)

- TremorMites and The Dread Centipede.

EDIT: Also, we are only 20 page away from page 200! :O
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:33:03 PM by ArmyUnit »

I know I liked them! ;)
Good! :D
Badspot joined!  :)
Heard it, that is a nice accomplishment, together with the full server most of the time.
Can you find the Vein Spider?
No. :C
- Magma Exo-Suit -- It's hard to judge the balance of this class from the server, because it's not really designed for Trench-dig environment, but for the most part it was overpowered. I'm going to fiddle with the energy values a bit more, and I'm going to swap the backup pistol with a melee weapon. I might remove this class till it is more fully balanced.
I advise removing until balance.
- The Digger Class -- The Molotov was an interesting twist to this class, but it still felt much too helpless. I'll probably give this class a melee weapon (punching) that will dynamically deal damage to to different bugs (big bugs take little to no damage).
Know what would be interesting, making the spade of T+T melee pack a dig item and melee item that does that.
- The other classes -- It's hard to tell really. Some felt cheaper than others, the grenades classes especially. I might just edit the grenades to not explode on player impact. I also felt the sniper class was rather cheap, so I might swap that out for something else, or replace the military sniper with the crossbow.
Crossbow, hunting bugs. :D
Future additions:
- A medic class -- Several people suggested this. This class's loadout will be: T+T Gauze gun (maybe with an edited shorter range), pistol, and maybe punching.
Wait, there was no medic class? Also, please, no gauze gun, that one if pretty powerful. Rather use the syringe.
- Bugspray -- The bugspray will be replaced by the Hand Held Flammer (HFF). End of story.
Bugspray is so 2011.
- ASN Systems -- I will add the Scarab-Wasps by the next hosting. I also will eventually add a flying ASN system.
Dun dun duuun, flying ASN confirmed.
- A sentry placing class -- Basically, this will be a variation of the current digging class, that replaces the Molotov with a sentry turret (either SMG or Rifle, still haven't decided yet) Turrets will die if they are placed in a bug spawn area, or the bugs' flag room. Also, this class will NOT carry a welder or controller, though I might include Lordician's Wrangler.
I am not sure if you should use my wrangler... It had some bug, but i can't remember what. But try it out sometime.

- Vein Spider -- These guys were pretty good, though I felt they were hard to play as since the poison currently mounts an empty effects image. I will fix this by next hosting.
Every poison you use so far has this empty effects image mounting, so the vein spider rather has some other problems i think. THe fact that the vein spider is very very fast makes it hard to hit something with a slow projectile. Maybe a faster projectile?
- Worm -- These guys are perfect for Trench Digging. They are perfect for base defense, but not climbing to the surface. I remember being ambushed by a burrowed worm at one point. I died. :(
HAHAHA i mean oh, how sad. >:)
- Sand Parasite -- They were pretty much perfect. But keep in mind, these guys aren't even done! :O
<3 sand parasites. :D
- More Shooting bugs -- This is something many people requested. Unfortunately not many planned bugs can shoot/spit. I'll see what I can do though.
Maybe a bit of area denial spits, like a molotov effect but with poison.
- Bug Health Regeneration -- Many people also suggested this. I don't plan to add "standard" health regen to most bugs, but many will have a drain ability with their attacks (biting and enemy will heal you)
Oh dear, how will this turn out...
- Eventually I will add capture-able sub-bases for each team. When a team's base is captured, they will be unable to select certain classes that are associated with that base (ASN systems, for example). In order for that team to use those certain classes again, they must recapture the base.
Sounds very good.
- I need to see about disabling the game mechanic that disallows returning an enemy flag when your own flag is being held by an enemy, since this resulted in people (namely Fireflies) camping with flags so that the enemy team couldn't cap flags.
FIREFLIEEEES!
- I fixed my RTB pref issues. Apparently the hat mod was the problem (so I deleted it). If you guys want hats, that's on Trinity Armory's server IF HE DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. ;)
I see. Oh well, hats doesn't go so well anyhow, since they use up a lot of datablocks for well anti-poison measures.
- TremorMites and The Dread Centipede.
Best news explanation ever. ;P
Also about the empty effects image still being in... *rolls eyes*
Yeaaaah..
I should work on it.

I haven't been really using Hatmod either, because it's been causing issues to Poison, and as I was getting the same RTB issues he was, I'll probably have to properly remove it too. Shame, I do enjoy it if it wasn't breaking stuff :<

No. :C
Keep looking! C:

I advise removing until balance.
kk will do.

Know what would be interesting, making the spade of T+T melee pack a dig item and melee item that does that.
I thought of that, but turned the idea aside because the T+T weapons are so OP against bugs (so many crits! D:) I suppose we could make it work if we edited some things.

Crossbow, hunting bugs. :D
Pretty much :)

Wait, there was no medic class? Also, please, no gauze gun, that one if pretty powerful. Rather use the syringe
Actually I'd much rather use the Gauze gun (edited, of course), because you can self heal with the syringe. Or is there some way to disable the self healing? :S

Bugspray is so 2011.
This.

Dun dun duuun, flying ASN confirmed.
We are just scratching the surface hehehe...

I am not sure if you should use my wrangler... It had some bug, but i can't remember what. But try it out sometime.
KK. From what I've seen, the only problem is that the sentry fires the instant you tell it to, instead of aiming and then firing (caused by the "scanning" rotation of the sentry). It's only really an issue with the Rocket Sentry though.

Every poison you use so far has this empty effects image mounting, so the vein spider rather has some other problems i think. THe fact that the vein spider is very very fast makes it hard to hit something with a slow projectile. Maybe a faster projectile?

The lack of poison effects really makes things the hardest for the Vein spider though, since you need to know when to back off (if you miss) or when to push (if you blind them). But I agree, the projectile speed needs to be increased.

HAHAHA i mean oh, how sad. >:)
:(

<3 sand parasites. :D
C:

Maybe a bit of area denial spits, like a molotov effect but with poison.
Now that's a thought. That would fit really well with the Termites I think (Shame if you read that as TremmorMites :P) It would be tricky to balance though, since there would be no ammo. And I doubt I'm at the coding expertise to make this. Lordician can you please maybe? C:

Oh dear, how will this turn out...
Either very cheap or very balanced :d

Sounds very good.
Yup. Some of that idea came from Trinity Armory also. See Trinity, this is why you aren't useless. <3

FIREFLIEEEES!
You'll be saying that a whole lot more during my next server (if I can get some things working) ;)

I see. Oh well, hats doesn't go so well anyhow, since they use up a lot of datablocks for well anti-poison measures.
Exactly.

Best news explanation ever. ;P

Also about the empty effects image still being in... *rolls eyes*
Yeaaaah..
I should work on it.

Right yeah.

Also I forgot to say in my other post that I plan to make model-less variations of the digging tools for the bugs, because the digging models can block you view often.

Well we could make the timeout between acid spits very long.
And yeah, the crits are a pain in the royal bugs.
And indeed, without effects, the vein spider doesn't know when to go away.

You do know i also have an effect image included in the mod right?
The event poison uses it.
The name is: "PoisonStatusPlayerImage".

Well we could make the timeout between acid spits very long.
And yeah, the crits are a pain in the royal bugs.
And indeed, without effects, the vein spider doesn't know when to go away.

You do know i also have an effect image included in the mod right?
The event poison uses it.
The name is: "PoisonStatusPlayerImage".

I wasn't using that effect image because I've always planned to use custom effects that better match each poison.
Now that I think about it, I don't see why I haven't been using it as a place holder at least. :S

I wasn't using that effect image because I've always planned to use custom effects that better match each poison.
Now that I think about it, I don't see why I haven't been using it as a place holder at least. :S
Because you are silly.

Bump for progress!

Trenchdig Build Updates:

-Added ASN spawn area to MAS base. The bugs can stop the spawning of ASN robots by capturing the spawn room. MAS Must recapture the room to regain access to ASN classes.

-Added a second opening to the Bug's flag room. This opening takes more digging to get to, but is farther away from the bug spawn areas.

-Added a class selection room and a spawning area for the admin team.

-Added sentry kill zones bricks to the bug's spawn and flag rooms to prevent possible camping issues.

-Lowered the upper boundary slightly to prevent camping Fireflies.  :d

(NOTE: I haven't added a capturable bug area because currently the bugs would suffer from it too much thanks to the campy nature of the MAS team. I will include such an area once the bugs get more ranged classes)

Class updates:

==MAS==

-Replaced all instances of the BugSpray with the (now improved and optimized) Hand Held Flammer.

-Added two ASN classes: Security Scarab-Wasp and Anti-Riot Scarab-Wasp.

-Disabled the Magma Exo-Suit from the MAS class selection area for now (it was OP, needs some MASsive balancing updates).

-Replaced the old Assault Rifle+Stick Grenade+Pill class with a new Medic class: Machine Pistol + Syringe.

-Added a new defense/support Digging class: Digging Tools + SMG Sentry

-Created a new Punching weapon for the Digging classes. The damage dealt changes depending on the attacked enemy (less damage dealt to things like the Scorpion, while more damage dealt to things like mites, bugs, etc).

-Replaced the Sniper Class' Military Sniper with the Crossbow.

-Minor edit of the Conc' Grenade which disables the cheesy explode-on-player-impact functionality.

==BUGS==

-Created an alternate set of digging tools, that lack models, foe use with the bugs. This should make digging with some bugs easier (and thing will make more sense; BUGS DON'T NEED TOOOLS!)

-Increased the damage dealt by the Caterpillar's acid spit, and gave it a "minor" poison effect.

-Gave the big bug another pill (for a total of two) (or was this already in there from last hosting? >_> )

-Increased all bug inventory sizes to 5 (as it should be). This will allow me to tinker with the loadouts more easily.

-Decreased the health of the Earwig from 250 to 210.

-The Earwig now has a "weak" flying ability. This allows it to super jump, but you need to mash the jump key. :P

-Possibly something new for the Firefly. :o

-Attempted to add poison emitter effects to all poisons, but (epically?) failed apparently. I need to contact Lordician about this before too long.

-Changed the Ticks weapon from the Bug bite to the Mite bite (reduced the damage dealt).

-Increased the projectile speed of the Vein Spider's Bite (easier to use).

Other Updates:

-Placed the Class selection rooms on top of a 64x cube to allow for water at the deepest areas of the build ;)

-Disabled a bunch of unneeded/unused add-ons. This should decrease loading times.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:32:26 AM by ArmyUnit »

-Added ASN spawn area to MAS base. The bugs can stop the spawning of ASN robots by capturing the spawn room. MAS Must recapture the room to regain access to ASN classes.
Nice.
-Added a second opening to the Bug's flag room. This opening takes more digging to get to, but is farther away from the bug spawn areas.
Interesting, though i haven't really played so far. :C
-Added a class selection room and a spawning area for the admin team.
Hmm, okay i guess. Though i like to be MAS or something more i think...
-Added sentry kill zones bricks to the bug's spawn and flag rooms to prevent possible camping issues.
Useful, no sentry camping. >:)
-Lowered the upper boundary slightly to prevent camping Fireflies.  :d
FIREFLIIIIIEEEES!
(NOTE: I haven't added a capturable bug area because currently the bugs would suffer from it too much thanks to the campy nature of the MAS team. I will include such an area once the bugs get more ranged classes)
Go figure. We are humans after all.
-Replaced all instances of the BugSpray with the (now improved and optimized) Hand Held Flammer.
Improved and optimized... Interesting.
-Disabled the Magma Exo-Suit from the MAS class selection area for now (it was OP, needs some MASsive balancing updates).
Good. Was needed.
-Replaced the old Assault Rifle+Stick Grenade+Pill class with a new Medic class: Machine Pistol + Syringe.
Wait, syringe after all?
-Added a new defense/support Digging class: Digging Tools + SMG Sentry
Interested in seeing how this will work out...
-Created a new Punching weapon for the Digging classes. The damage dealt changes depending on the attacked enemy (less damage dealt to things like the Scorpion, while more damage dealt to things like mites, bugs, etc).
IM GOING TO PUNCH YOU! >:D
-Replaced the Sniper Class' Military Sniper with the Crossbow.
Let's go on a hunting trip! ^^
-Minor edit of the Conc' Grenade which disables the cheesy explode-on-player-impact functionality.
Interested in how this is gonna work out..
-Created an alternate set of digging tools, that lack models, foe use with the bugs. This should make digging with some bugs easier (and thing will make more sense; BUGS DON'T NEED TOOOLS!)
True, true, also foe = for? ;P
-Increased the damage dealt by the Caterpillar's acid spit, and gave it a "minor" poison effect.
Acid spit is more useful now.
-Gave the big bug another pill (for a total of two) (or was this already in there from last hosting? >_> )
Big bug, now with 100% more tanking ability
-The Earwig now has a "weak" flying ability. This allows it to super jump, but you need to mash the jump key. :P
MASH IT! I can probably help out with removing the mashing (as well for the firefly).
-Possibly something new for the Firefly. :o
Can't wait to see it.
-Attempted to add poison emitter effects to all poisons, but (epically?) failed apparently. I need to contact Lordician about this before too long.
What how could yo- Fine, i'll keep my steam up today, probably work on some acid spit for the area denial bugs
-Changed the Ticks weapon from the Bug bite to the Mite bite (reduced the damage dealt).
Perhaps a generic Bite weapon would suffice with some code magic... But i should talk with you about that
-Increased the projectile speed of the Vein Spider's Bite (easier to use).
Thanks, it will prove useful, i am quite sure.
-Placed the Class selection rooms on top of a 64x cube to allow for water at the deepest areas of the build ;)
Or lava... *rolls eyes*
-Disabled a bunch of unneeded/unused add-ons. This should decrease loading times.
Silly Army, we don't need that many add-ons. :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:03:12 AM by lordician »

Double post:
-Modders info-
Add-on creators beware, i update my informational post of the poison add-on.

GRAB THE POISON ADD-ON RELEASE CANDIDATE HERE!
V.RC1: Everything is fixed, made it easier for modders to use some of it, no more image-dependency problems.
- Also added support for paralyzing already, though it doesn't work yet. But you can already prepare your poison to work with it.
(Grab a test save here.)
Remember, poison only works in a minigame. :)
EDIT:
Uhm, okay, maybe not everything was fixed... Fixed RC up now.
EDIT2:
Gosh darnit, it still isn't fully fixed, but a great part of the stuff is working.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:03:51 AM by lordician »

I think the Earwig will possibly become one of my favorite classes to play as. They new semi-flying ability is pretty neat.

Quick change log:

-The Firefly's new "feature" is now ready for this weekends server, thanks to Lordician's excellent HAX coding skills.

-Modified the Vein Spider's Blinder poison. It should act similar to the old Blinder poison now (no more constant whiteout)

-Modified the Dread Centipede's attacks. *evil grin*

-Edited the Syringe so that it can't heal ASN robots (still need to test this)