Author Topic: Will Zealot ever get Windows 10?  (Read 6964 times)

Everyone keeps blaming Windows 10 when it's almost entirely due to hardware/software incompatibility that is the responsibility of those manufacturers to deal with...
I would agree with you a lot more here if Win10 wasn't something pushed on everyone. It pops up one day and you literally can't take it off the screen--it's stuck in the system tray. They constantly pop up saying GET IT NOW GET IT NOW and will sometimes even force-update your computer to it. There's nothing to stop you and say "WAIT! You're Motherboard is Incompatible!" or even anything that might suggest there will be problems. They even go as far to say "DON'T WORRY! Your programs will still work, your files will be right where you left them, and your PC will stay the same!"

I'm not particularly technical but they sure made it sound like it was basically new software and a desktop skin for your PC. I got no indication that an advanced PC even COULD be incompatible with Win10, and now I've lost countless files. It's not ASUS's responsibility to keep their drivers updated (though it would be nice), it's Microsoft's responsibility not to force PC-breaking updates onto people who have no idea they can't run them. An update --by definition-- makes something better.

I already mentioned I thought it was a bullstuff tactic, but anyway...

I'm not particularly technical but they sure made it sound like it was basically new software and a desktop skin for your PC.
The majority of the userbase isn't technical, and so Microsoft has a hard sell right there. By convincing people that the process is painless, easy and will benefit them, they can start to conquer a lot of the fears by the average user that a "new Operating System installation" might generate.

Under the hood, however, there's quite a lot different from Windows 8, especially in how Microsoft is trying to shed a lot of the weight from its past, which involves straight-up removing functionality that older hardware/software relied on (not because it was right, but because the developers didn't know better).

I got no indication that an advanced PC even COULD be incompatible with Win10
Because it's very hard to judge what might/might not work, and Microsoft don't want people to fear else they wouldn't upgrade (it's a bit weird they don't do more aggressive safe checking however). In your PC, you've got many little systems (as far as hardware components, drivers, programs, services etc) all trying to cooperate and use the same pool of resources together. The simple fact of the matter is that NO computer will ever be future-proof, as future decisions will have great impact on how things need to work and respond to the rest of the whole system.

It's not ASUS's responsibility to keep their drivers updated (though it would be nice),
As a manufacturer, ASUS makes the choice on compatibility. While they may not have a legal responsibility to be held to, one must believe that a high profile computer manufacturer with a very large reputation and consumer-base to uphold would have made steps even before Windows 10 initially released to try and work on compatibility.

Going back in history, IBM (IIRC) is rather famous for pissing off Microsoft and missing out on bundling Windows 95/98 with their newest computers. These large-scale manufacturers are always in talks with each other because those who sell the computers want to produce the NEWEST, BEST machines and Microsoft wants to push their new product.

it's Microsoft's responsibility not to force PC-breaking updates onto people who have no idea they can't run them.
Again, Microsoft didn't intend for the installation process to fail, and even you must admit that you are a rare case compared to the large number of people successfully using the system or who downgraded without issues. While the practice of forcing the update is bullstuff, Microsoft has nothing to do with your hardware setup which they do not control by design so as to not be as locked down as Apple. Microsoft are under the assumption that if you PC meets the basic specifications they set out, it must have compatibility.

An update --by definition-- makes something better.
In my opinion (and this an opinion shared by many), Windows 10 is a much better operating system.

And no, an update does not "make something better" by definition. That is (hopefully) the intention. A (software) update represents nothing more than a change in the design and functionality of something.

And no, an update does not "make something better" by definition. That is (hopefully) the intention. A (software) update represents nothing more than a change in the design and functionality of something.
    make (something) more modern or up to date.
    "security measures are continually updated and improved"
if we tear down the security system, we didn't update it.

Pushing malicious code through an update is still an update, no matter how malicious the code is. In order for something to be updated, it just needs to be changed.

Pushing malicious code through an update is still an update, no matter how malicious the code is. In order for something to be updated, it just needs to be changed.
The literal definition of update is to modernize and improve something. Something might call a downgrade or a change an "Update" but that doesn't make it one.

"Modern" and "Up to Date" do not  mean "better", since "better" is a subjective term based on a quality assessment (I'm sure Microsoft see Windows 10 as a better OS than previous iterations), whereas the other two terms are subjective terms based on time.

Something might call a downgrade or a change an "Update" but that doesn't make it one.
If the author intends that something is wrong and they wish to go back to how something was as they feel it better represents the product, the act of making that change is an "Update".

okay to everyone who says that Windows 10 isn't intrusive: These are the menus I had to navigate through after Win10 interrupted my game to announce it was updating in 15 minutes.

remember:
if you don't like windows 10 it's because you're dumb, there's no possible way you can have a negative experience with it
/s

okay to everyone who says that Windows 10 isn't intrusive

That's not "Windows 10" being intrusive. That's Microsoft's business/legal/marketing departments wanting to push units. It has nothing to do with the quality of the operating system itself.

Yes, as I've agreed before, Microsoft are being richardheads, but their business decisions do not reflect on the quality of the Operating System itself which is probably their finest ever.

remember:
if you don't like windows 10 it's because you're dumb, there's no possible way you can have a negative experience with it
/s
Thank you for another insightful, deep-reaching comment where you prove you're absolutely not a giant pretentious rooster. /s

What you'll find is that people will argue with you whenever your complaints have nothing to do with Windows 10. As I said, most install problems are due to hardware/software compatibility caused by years and years of bad habits from numerous people which are no longer tolerated. Furthermore, many complaints like "The UI sucks" aren't even that descriptive of the problem, so it just sounds like somebody who doesn't like change is whining for the sake of jumping on a bandwagon.

Feel free to stay on Windows 7 or whatever and enjoy less performance, less features and a generally bumpier ride than those of us who are comfortable with moving forward :)

it definitely is windows 10 being intrusive. something that effectively works as adware and pops up constantly even after reject it dozens of times is intrusive. i never said windows 10 was a bad operating system.

Am I the only person who has had 0 problems with Windows 10?

Feel free to stay on Windows 7 or whatever and enjoy less performance, less features and a generally bumpier ride than those of us who are comfortable with moving forward :)
It's this pompous garbage that I'm sick of.
You act all high and mighty for not having a bad time with Windows 10. That's nice, dear. I'm really happy for you.
You act like just because you haven't had a bumpy ride with it so far you suddenly have a license to be a tool to everyone that decides not go with W10.

I mean, it is a good operating system. It's just really buggy and because of that they have no right to force it onto people like they do.

On my PC now with new RAM, Processor, GPU, and Motherboard. Everything is running so much better. Except my audio is dead and for some reason my computer smells like canned cat food. Will report on how Win10 goes.

remember:
/s
Yes, because every single problem the user has had is not Microsoft's fault but the user's fault because they're just dumb.
Can we stop posts like these? It'd be great, thanks.

Except my audio is dead and for some reason my computer smells like canned cat food. Will report on how Win10 goes.
please tell me you checked for drivers on that
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:51:01 AM by Willco2 »