5 (2%)
Agnostic  
32 (12.6%)
Jewish
3 (1.2%)
Other
26 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: Religious Views?  (Read 19934 times)

I think the laws of science are always everywhere cause why wouldn't they.
I can't see hear touch smell or taste energy in empty space either
Actually you can see energy.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:32:08 AM by Kill All »

We can't prove the laws of science apply outside of the Universe though, because we can't make measurements outside of the Universe. Science relies on a hypothesis, carrying out measurements and then putting forward an improved hypothesis. This breaks down when we can't measure something. Regardless of this, wherever God is, the laws of science must be different to accommodate his many omni-powers.

FYI: I am Agnostic.

Actually you can feel energy.
If you're a nutcase, that is.

We can't prove the laws of science apply outside of the Universe though, because we can't make measurements outside of the Universe. Science relies on a hypothesis, carrying out measurements and then putting forward an improved hypothesis. This breaks down when we can't measure something. Regardless of this, wherever God is, the laws of science must be different to accommodate his many omni-powers.

why are you talking about God as if we have established why he would exist?
and again why wouldn't the laws of science apply everywhere?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:31:22 AM by Nymethus »

Just on a side note, there is energy in empty space. Google Vacuum Energy, or Zero Point Fluctuations.

so wait, this god lives in a place not bound by any kind of restraints at all - so...
How does a place like that exist at all? how does something take form or think without some sort of law of reaction or cause? because for a being to want have some sort of thought or process it needs to have some influence of real-life mechanics.

Just on a side note, there is energy in empty space.
thank you we know

I'm not saying that there is or isn't a God. What I'm saying is that for God to exist, he'd have to exist outside of our Universe so as not to be bound by the constraints of our physical laws. Because of this, he becomes unmeasurable and therefore he can't be proven. Equivalently, you can't prove that God doesn't exist. It's metaphysics and therefore not a logical argument at all.

I'm not saying that there is or isn't a God. What I'm saying is that for God to exist, he'd have to exist outside of our Universe so as not to be bound by the constraints of our physical laws. Because of this, he becomes unmeasurable and therefore he can't be proven. Equivalently, you can't prove that God doesn't exist. It's metaphysics and therefore not a logical argument at all.
thing is why would he exist?

Oh sorry, I thought you were defending the existence of a god, not declaring a middle ground were we aren't certain about it's possibility.
I was barking up the wrong tree - my apologies.

but then there is the argument:
thing is why would he exist?
after a bit of thought, if a place without scientific boundaries exists then why, out of all things, is the omnipotent lord of the world of scientific boundaries come into existence there?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:39:01 AM by Supreme Guy »

There is no reason why he should exist. There is equally no reason why he shouldn't exist. We can't provide a reason because we can't make measurements. Anything could exist beyond our Universe because it would not have to be bound by our laws of science. God is just one such possibility. Each and every possibility cannot be argued for or against, include Theism and Atheism. The entire argument is purely guesswork which is why I am Agnostic. I still don't get how you can't comprehend this very basic argument.

God(s) is an idea created by men who were hoping for more than the state of nothigness after death.

There is no reason why he should exist. There is equally no reason why he shouldn't exist.
wrong. he shouldn't exist because nothing says he does.

We can't provide a reason because we can't make measurements.
we can measure all measurable things and conclude that there is no reason for God to exist.

Anything could exist beyond our Universe because it would not have to be bound by our laws of science. God is just one such possibility. Each and every possibility cannot be argued for or against, include Theism and Atheism. The entire argument is purely guesswork which is why I am Agnostic. I still don't get how you can't comprehend this very basic argument.
If one would think like this then nothing would get anywhere. How do you know anything could exist outside the laws of science? You don't, and you don't have any reason to think that it does. Saying "well it might" is useless and doesn't make a real argument. Guessing around about random stuff for no reason isn't valid to me.
I don't want to think that there may or may not be a god because I have no reason to. We have laws of science, and they are everywhere we can measure, meaning we have no reason to think that there might be a place outside the laws of science. why would there be such a place?

wrong. he shouldn't exist because nothing says he does.

Nothing used to say the atoms existed, but they did. For something to exist, someone doesn't necessarily have to have said it does.

we can measure all measurable things and conclude that there is no reason for God to exist.

And God is unmeasurable... I don't get where you're going with this. If something exists outside the Universe, we can't measure it.

Do you understand my argument at all? Outside of the Universe ANYTHING could exist. We will never know what actually exists, because we can't measure it. There being some proof inside our Universe that such an object exists would be impossible, because we can't measure these things. This means that and infinite amount of things could exist outside of the Universe. One of such things could be God, another could be a tennis ball etc. Equally, there could be nothing. We'll never know either way, so being Atheist and saying that there definitely isn't a God is in effect saying that you believe there to be nothing outside of the Universe. Again, this is a possibility, but the probabilities are the same. Therefore, Agnosticism is the only logical option. To accept we will never know what is outside of our Universe and that it isn't worth our time considering it.