Author Topic: Internet is Super Slow?  (Read 941 times)

Recently we have switched from Charter internet to Hughsnet or whatever it is called. We have pulled out our Belkin router (which was known for slowing the whole system down in the past) and last week our download was a good 3 mb/s. Now our download is a meager 7 kb/s. Is there any way to fix this problem without contacting our provider? I know the forums aren't a great place to ask, but it is better than nothing.

i bet it just sucks
sorry bud I just can't nibble this kibble

MB/ps or Mb/ps
chances are you're reading it wrong

MB/ps or Mb/ps
chances are you're reading it wrong
Now our download is a meager 7 kb/s.
KBs and kbs are both terrible, so it doesn't really matter either way

Anyways, first thing I'd try is power cycling all equipment: modem, router if it's seperate, switches if you have any, etc.
If you have wifi, check the logs/client list to make sure there's no one there that shouldn't be

I have done all of that and nothing has changed. I think the problem is the Belkin (the routers are known for being stuffty, or so I have been told), but our family is barely able to scrape by, so any suggestions for a good wireless router for only 50 dollars would be great.

I have done all of that and nothing has changed. I think the problem is the Belkin (the routers are known for being stuffty, or so I have been told), but our family is barely able to scrape by, so any suggestions for a good wireless router for only 50 dollars would be great.
maybe an anecdotal experience but our old router which was a belkin sucked so much ass it was unbelievable

belkin routers are stuff, and the router may be the problem. however, it might also be a DNS problem.
use this, i used it and i changed my DNS according to its suggestions, and my internet has been just fine ever since.
https://code.google.com/p/namebench/

I think the problem is the Belkin (the routers are known for being stuffty, or so I have been told)

you're damn right

i can't even forward any ports with one

belkin routers are stuff, and the router may be the problem. however, it might also be a DNS problem.
use this, i used it and i changed my DNS according to its suggestions, and my internet has been just fine ever since.
https://code.google.com/p/namebench/
Can I have some info on what a DNS is?

A Domain Name System (referred to as DNS) resolves hostnames such as forum.blockland.us to a communicable IP address.

One of the biggest problems is that it can take ~30 seconds to load a page. A second main problem of mine is that watching youtube videos or pages with lots of images become basically impossible to wait for a full load.

Update: I found my internet provider had a stupid data limit of 10 to 40 Gb every month. So I am stuck with the piss poor internet for hopefully not much longer.