Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Off Topic / Re: Why do people dislike safety equipment?
« Last post by Dillpickle on Today at 02:53:45 PM »
Worked in agriculture, specifically a soybean conditioning plant in rural midwest, and the saying goes that "Safety is on YOU"

Sure, common sense will usually keep your hind safe, however all those safety regulations would slow down the traditional flow of what's been essentially the same process forever. The place wasn't OSHA compliant per-say, since it was in the ag business and there's just, different rules for that. Going from that, to being security for a fortune 500 manufacturing facility and seeing just how much OSHA compliance signs, labeling, walkways, safety hazard training, all of those, yet people still complain that it slows down their processes and adds unnecessary overhead

However, as someone who had their right arm momentarily pinned inside a forklifts mask, because I decided to stand on the forks and wrap my arm around the backrest of the carriage instead of using any sort of cage or platform, and the task I decided to do was easier to do without a scissor lift, I also fell into that 'well forget it lets just get 'er done' mentality. arm is okay, got compensation and checked out, nothing broke, lots of bruising and the arm muscle is still rather stiff and rough, I learned that that safety second bullstuff costs lives and there's not that many jobs out there that I want to risk my wellbeing for anymore.

Coming from someone whose been in the labor market for awhile, it's easy to overlook safety in return for speed, because time is money and the more tasks you can complete in a day generally means more money.

as far as any other safety issues out there, i was the only one at least who wore earplugs near machines, i wore safety glasses more often because i already smacked my head on a handle and nearly took my eye out (legit, it was a very close gash to the eye), all because no one really cared for safety or had the mentality that "well if you get hurt it's because you're an idiot", and that's just because of the culture of manual labor jobs around here

edit: let me add

I get that everyone wants to get done and get out, but goddamn if they don't give me stuff for spending a few seconds to put on some basic gear.

this right here is the reason that people dislike it, it not only costs time to deal with PPE, but even if it's just one person who is being compliant theyre still taking time from everyone else, and because you take a few seconds every single time a routine task is performed it adds up to the mentality that it's a waste of time.

Try and be prepared more and show that it doesn't take effort or time out of continuing the flow of the process by donning PPE, and they may seem more inclined to do it themselves, until then they will view it as a continual pause in process and that gets annoying over time.
Off Topic / Re: geese thread
« Last post by Tea on Today at 02:35:49 PM »
I saw a goose all by his lonesome yesterday. 
« Last post by Trogtor on Today at 12:00:32 PM »
this should have a rolling tie off point if it's an I-beam. that way you don't need two separate ties
too much stuff in the ceiling unfortunately. also the distance I'm walking is far longer than an I beam
General Discussion / Re: What does username RLCBM stand for?
« Last post by log on Today at 08:16:47 AM »
he kind of cooked there I just checked my hs diploma case and it is a damn fine mousepad
« Last post by Ceist on Yesterday at 10:32:53 PM »
not too long ago i was doing work at a warehouse installing charging stations for a robot that moves pallets around pallet shelves. these pallet shelves are probably 30 ft tall and span the size of like 4 football fields. the charging station is at the very top and we're required to 100% tie off meaning as long as we're up there our harness needs to be tied off to something at all times. we're supposed to use two harnesses and latch on one, move forward, latch on the next, go back, and latch off the other one. if you constantly have to move around this is extremely time consuming. do i do it? hell no. i would never get any work done. i just walk to the spot i wanna work to then tie off there.
this is the main problem people have with a lot of safety regulations. some of them are so damn time consuming that if you have a project that has a deadline you'll never get it done in time. as far as safety glasses and helmets and ear plugs go, yes you should wear them. that stuff is important.
this should have a rolling tie off point if it's an I-beam. that way you don't need two separate ties
General Discussion / Re: What does username RLCBM stand for?
« Last post by Dillpickle on Yesterday at 10:20:25 PM »

man never fails to amuse me
« Last post by Trogtor on Yesterday at 05:22:53 PM »
not too long ago i was doing work at a warehouse installing charging stations for a robot that moves pallets around pallet shelves. these pallet shelves are probably 30 ft tall and span the size of like 4 football fields. the charging station is at the very top and we're required to 100% tie off meaning as long as we're up there our harness needs to be tied off to something at all times. we're supposed to use two harnesses and latch on one, move forward, latch on the next, go back, and latch off the other one. if you constantly have to move around this is extremely time consuming. do i do it? hell no. i would never get any work done. i just walk to the spot i wanna work to then tie off there.
this is the main problem people have with a lot of safety regulations. some of them are so damn time consuming that if you have a project that has a deadline you'll never get it done in time. as far as safety glasses and helmets and ear plugs go, yes you should wear them. that stuff is important.
« Last post by Tea on Yesterday at 02:00:01 PM »
« Last post by Tea on Yesterday at 01:59:32 PM »
« Last post by Tea on Yesterday at 01:59:06 PM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10