Poll

Art? Good?

No. Art bad.
12 (17.9%)
Yeah. Art Good.
55 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Is art Good?  (Read 2184 times)

I really, really dislike pointless 'art'. To me, Art is something with inherent meaning which it is trying to communicate. It doesn't exist for the sake of itself. That kind of art is absolutely necessary to society, but somebody putting a dot at the centre of the page and selling that for billions...that's forgeted.

I really, really dislike pointless 'art'. To me, Art is something with inherent meaning which it is trying to communicate. It doesn't exist for the sake of itself.
well, you also think minecraft isn't a video game, so

I really, really dislike pointless 'art'. To me, Art is something with inherent meaning which it is trying to communicate. It doesn't exist for the sake of itself. That kind of art is absolutely necessary to society, but somebody putting a dot at the centre of the page and selling that for billions...that's forgeted.
unless........ it being pointless...... IS the point.....

Originally that kind of art was only worth billions a millions because it was used to move money.

well, you also think minecraft isn't a video game, so
You're thinking of "Video Game" as the kind of category for digital, interactive experiences. That's fine for 90% of people, in the same way that that 90% of people think some lines of paper is "art". It's fine because most people don't care, since it doesn't really concern them.

I actually care, though. It's my job to make good games and good art, and I need to be able to quantify and understand what actually constitutes something being a game or art, and what makes those things good.

i don't agree that you necessarily have to invalidate someone's work to have a functional and constructive strategy of viewing creative works. it doesn't strike me as helpful in any sense of the word

video games are rarely ever made for any reason but to make money.

serious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI07egoefc
(1) All art communicates no matter what it is, there is no such thing as non-communicative art. (2) Sounds like you guys are not fans of overtly self-indulgent post-modernism which "disappears up its own starfish." Congrats, that's a pretty universal opinion.

(1) All art communicates no matter what it is, there is no such thing as non-communicative art.

what does this communicate

(1) All art communicates no matter what it is, there is no such thing as non-communicative art.
I studied art as part of my major (and it's why I'm so pissed off with my college studies; too much time spent on non-video game related stufff). Don't speak stuff.

what does this communicate
Could mean lots of stuff. Loneliness? Isolation? Emptiness of thought? It's not the most provocative or interesting art piece, in fact it is low effort and I do not find much value in it. But it is communicative; you're naive to think otherwise.
I studied art as part of my major (and it's why I'm so pissed off with my college studies; too much time spent on non-video game related stufff). Don't speak stuff.
why are you offended?

But it is communicative; you're naive to think otherwise.why are you offended?
Seeing as you couldn't give an accurate definition of what it means, does that not mean it has failed to communicate, and effectively is a meaningless piece?

why are you offended?
I don't see much scope for pointless, meaningless work in the creative arts industry. We're lucky enough to be working a fun job where we get to demonstrate our talents, so we really should be producing top tier content that enriches the lives of those who take time out of their busy lives to engage with it.

Substance before style.