Poll

is she

no
1 (25%)
thhee fooorce is stROOONNNGG innn yooouuu...................... ......
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: real talk: is rey a mary sue  (Read 4072 times)

Mary Sue is a stuffty way to categorize exactly what kind of stuffty character she is. She's not powerful to be ham-fisted into the plot, she's powerful because the plot is stupid.

I'm going out on a limb here to assume that the next movie is going to 'explore' the idea that Rey is an extreme anomaly in the force and is so powerful that Luke doesn't want to train her because she's such a powerful force or whatever the forget. The reason she gets her powers really quickly is for two reasons:

1. The writers didn't want to spend the whole movie be about her training and honing her skills, probably because they assumed that would bore their target audience (it probably would have, because the writers couldn't make that a compelling hook)
2. They probably have the entire trilogy storyboarded already and are trying to have questions like "why did her force powers show up so quickly" be floating about to hype up the next release. THERE'S SO MANY QUESTIONS! BE EXCITED!

But honestly, the scenes of her becoming powerful didn't seem that forced or weird. Completely ignoring the prequels, the original trilogy took extreme liberty in force logic. It's not unreasonable to think that this character in this universe just happens to have superpowers for no deserved reason so long as the story moves the forget along and stays engaging without offending me by being too stupid/bad.

All the complaining about the Mary Sue-ness of her character comes off as disingenuous. It's a shameless soft-reboot half made to sell hasbro toys to kids who don't give a forget about the original trilogy or whatever fandom you will literally die for. The movie was actually fun, despite low expectations. Live a little!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:32:46 AM by IkeTheGeneric »

She didn't get her ass kicked enough to deserve that final scene

Also also, why aren't more people talking about Captain Phasma being handicapped? Why focus so much on a character that gets literally thrown in the garbage can unceremoniously? Are they alluding to Boba Fett and his hilariously short screen time and demise, or did the writers and director just not know what to do with the character?

I get that the first order is brainwashing kids into being soldiers setting her up to be this big baddie, but it kinda feels like a lotta of 'splainins was cut out because it was just so mind-bogglingly boring or something, sorta like why the weird character that gets so much emotional screentime during the planet-blowing-up-scene was originally supposed to have their own plotline before that got canned for being boring.

My biggest issue with the Sequel Trilogy is that the villains aren't compelling.

The strength of Star Wars isn't from the heroes, but its villains. A large theme in the franchise is the idea of redemption in the name of what's right, and so you need to have a villain you genuinely care about; both the fallible human aspect, but also the credible evil-doer who really could end the entire universe.

Obviously, the best example is Vader. He got two movie series' to tell his entire arc, and thus the morals surrounding his story are some of the most core ones to Star Wars as a whole. The Original Trilogy introduced us to this horrifying, twisted, terrifying figure with a distinct breathing pattern designed to send shivers up your spine; we feared the monster. Slowly though, things become unraveled and we start to see the human side come out, and now not only is Vader an epic badass, but we really start to care about him coming back to do the right thing.

Palpatine is my personal favourite, but Count Dooku also deserves a lot of respect. Ian McDiarmid and Christopher Lee just did brilliant jobs (if occasionally going a bit hammy, but that's the territory) of building these characters who seem like respectable father figures with nice sides, and as their evil plot comes unveiled, you still are left hoping for redemption before the bitter end.

But come to the Sequel Trilogy, and who do we have that matches this archetype? It can't be the Vader-wannabe; despite the actor's best efforts, he is written as a whiny emo brat, with a cancerous addiction to a villain who has become a lot less cool after seeing his obsession. You have a masked figure (big disgusting not-quite-alien face), but for now all we know is that he's Episode V Sidious, Lite Edition, as they've refused to show us that his character runs deeper. Finally, Phasma has unfortunately become the evil side's butt monkey, and doesn't appear to have any Sith potential anyway.

Maybe I stand alone on this; I just need that contrast between the optimistic and energetic youth of the typical Light Side heroes (a lot of Star Wars stories focus on young Jedi being trained and overcoming difficult personal battles) and the cynical and standoffish maturity of well written Sith characters (a lot of whom are older, well studied and have clearly become disillusioned with the aloofness and often fecklessness of the Jedi). I don't need two sides of complete nimrods being bland.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:21:14 AM by McJob »

who else think SCUM forget FLOWER BOY was overrated and boring as hell?
you are wrong

Also also, why aren't more people talking about Captain Phasma being handicapped? Why focus so much on a character that gets literally thrown in the garbage can unceremoniously? Are they alluding to Boba Fett and his hilariously short screen time and demise, or did the writers and director just not know what to do with the character?

I get that the first order is brainwashing kids into being soldiers setting her up to be this big baddie, but it kinda feels like a lotta of 'splainins was cut out because it was just so mind-bogglingly boring or something, sorta like why the weird character that gets so much emotional screentime during the planet-blowing-up-scene was originally supposed to have their own plotline before that got canned for being boring.
marketing. Disney saw this cool character design and figured if they totally hyped her up, they could sell tons of toys of her before the movie arrived, which proved to be true. I bet they probably hyped phasma up so much because they knew the movie completely weakens her character, and people generally buy toys of characters they like, so they sold her on the only merit she currently has - her rad design.

wheres my galen marek movie

answer me that leftists.............

Personally I think all the main character's in any form of star wars media are stupidly overpowered in some form of writing device. Whether it be plot armor or literal overpower. Rey being a mary sue is understandable but the other's make no sense either

remember when luke "force-sensitive" skywalker had to learn how to mind-trick people over three movies but rey gets it right within three tries

mary sue right there

Rey being a mary sue is only a piece of why she is a godawful character alongside the other new terrible characters.

The Force Awakens was garbage and Rogue One was average. Disney, give it back to George and stop milking the franchise to death while turning Star Wars into a corporate product.

Wait, they already have...

Disney, give it back to George
you know he made the prequels, right?

you know he made the prequels, right?

I'll still take the Prequels over TFA.

The Phantom Menace was mediocre.

Attack of the Clones was alright.

Revenge of the Sith was a masterpiece.