Author Topic: Starthearbeat() and Stopheartbeat()  (Read 770 times)

I was looking around on the Appendix A.pdf as I am in lesson right now but I have finished my coursework since I have nothing else to do I thought to look at the appendix file.

Anyway lets get to the point;

startHeartbeat()
Purpose
Use the startHeartbeat function to start advertising this game serer to any master
servers on the master server list.
Returns
No return value.
Notes
In order for this function to do anything, a list of master servers must have been
previously specified. This list may contain one or more server addresses. Once this
function is called, the game server will re-advertise itself to all the master servers on
its master server lits every two minutes. To specify a list, simply create a set of array
entries like this:
$pref::Master[0] = "2:192.168.123.15:28002";
$pref::Master[1] = "2:192.168.123.2:28002";
The format of these values is ==> Region Number : IP Address : Port Number
These values should be specified in either the client's or the server's preferences file
(prefs.cs). You may specifiy it elsewhere, however be sure that it is specified prior to
this function being called and before any other functions that rely on it.
See Also
queryMasterServer, stopHeartbeat
stopHeartbeat()
Purpose
Use the startHeartbeat function to stop advertising this game serer to any master servers
on the master server list.
Returns
No return value.
See Also
queryMasterServer, startHeartbeat

I was wondering, do these functions work within Blockland or has Badspot removed them?

They still exist. However, last time I tried them they did not work as advertised.

I think this is from the v0002 days when the GarageGames master server was used.

I think this is from the v0002 days when the GarageGames master server was used.

Actually, I believe the same functionality is used with a different configuration. These functions were blanked and their original functionality moved to the init/destroy server methods instead, though.

You can still package/parent webCom_postServer to, for example, not post to the master server.

I tested these a while ago and as Port said, they don't work.

I actually believe they've been removed. Stop[tab] and start[tab] don't return start/stopHeartbeat.

They used to work, back in like v14-. I actually don't know when baddy broke them. I used them, though, to repost the server before I knew about webcom_postServer()