Author Topic: How can I improve my art skills with a mouse?  (Read 6536 times)

So, I'm continuing the community project i made, before i do so, i wanted to ask for some advice and areas of drawing i can get for improvement
so this is the latest for my community project

can anyone rate my arting skills, this is with a mouse btw, but can anyone give suggestons on how to improve?

step 1. get a drawing tablet

step 4. make art

4 simple steps. minus the paint tool sai one; paint.net is fine for what youre doing

or be really patient if one is to use a mouse
i believe the mouse is the easiest to draw straight lines with at the least because it moves on more of a flat axis.

i think first off you should use smaller lines so you can add more detail
try out a variety of lines and find which ones fit you the best
next you should try to make objects seem, at minimal, with a sense of a general perspective, i forget what it's called when lines are more parallel drawn than perpendicularly drawn but at least aim for that rather than nothing.
also the background is gray, you should flesh it out a bit to look a bit more interesting as well
it's really all about progression, does this panel i drew look presentable to myself or not is the question that you should ask yourself

2. get paint tool sai
or you could be a normal person and just get paint.net, gimp or photoshop

Hey sai is loving awesome for what it is
paint.net and gimp are absolutely awful
go photoshop or go home

paint.net is pleb

gimp is pleb ps

ps is ok

sai is good

firealpaca > photoshop and sai

i know i talk about firealpaca a lot but it's good so don't yell at me
one of the things i like about it is the correction setting because it helps smooth out your lines - and since i've been using a mouse to draw for the past few months that's something really helpful
it's kind of hard to describe or show but here's one example

red circles are drawn with correction turned off, blue ones are drawn with correction set to 19 (which is the maximum), both were drawn with a mouse

so yeah if you haven't already you should try firealpaca
i mean if you want to make anything really fancy photoshop might be better but firealpaca is good for just regular drawing

You could try getting good with a mouse, but it'll be less efficient, more difficult and ultimately pointless compared to buying a tablet. You can get one pretty cheap, my Bamboo Splash was about £38, and it's very good, it's probably one of the best ones a hobbyist can get. I mean you could learn to draw with a mouse, but it's just not worth how much more difficult it'll be.

Also don't use Paint.net with a tablet. That's stupid advice. Paint.net doesn't smooth out your lines like Paint Tool SAI does.
Paint Tool SAI vs Paint.net

Paint Tool SAI is less confusing than Photoshop, but if you're willing to learn how to use Photoshop, go with that. Me, I just draw in SAI and touch up in Paint.net

whatever drawing system you use is up to you
factors in deciding what you want to pick is your capability to adjust to the gui, if it has some functions that you'd like or use a lot, whether or not the quality is better from one than another, and whether or not you'd use the extra functions (of course mspaint has less things to work with than photoshop or gdamn mario paint)

maybe you like the smudge tool in photoshop but the effects in paint.net or whatever
all up to you, you can't really say that one is worse than the other, maybe a really good artist uses gimp but can't really use sai, or vice versa.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 06:15:32 PM by Flamecannon »

colors to use for your outlines are darker versions of the colors you're outlining, just sayin

Hey sai is loving awesome for what it is
paint.net and gimp are absolutely awful
go photoshop or go home

I use Corel Painter X3 instead of Photoshop and I prefer it.